Hardware Planning on getting a new laptop

renton56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm looking to get a new laptop for diablo 3. im hoping to run it on high to max settings. i know a desktop is better and cheaper, but i plan on doing alot of lan parties and maoving alot and using the laptop for classes

i found this sager NP6175 it looked pretty good and the price is amazing in my opinion, but then again im not that computer savvy was wondering if anyone here could help me out

http://www.xoticpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=4345{215}3502{76}3240{209}3138{94}1074{92}4355{187}2646{88}4353{186}1532{93}3455{211}3247{112}656{96}1803{97}1943{98}1295{115}3019{168}1453{199}751{117}3252{194}2594{120}2352{110}3219{169}1449{119}1898{100}734{164}1441{107}689{106}1691{121}694{108}710{109}711{170}1492{214}3520{173}1175{116}4302{167}1452{205}3007{213}3414{103}686{113}1413{111}1414{69}714{208}3136{196}2719

im planning on getting the laptop customized but here are the main points i hope

Hard Drive
750gb 7200rpm (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
RAM
8GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS
Processor
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M, 2.5-3.1GHz, (32nm, 3MB L3 cache) (Supports up to 8GB - DDR3 1333MHz of Ram (2 SODIMMS))
(Supports 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors)
Graphics card

nVidia GT 650M 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology (SKU – S3R520)

Will i be able to play diablo 3 with this at reasonably high settings?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"USB Bluetooth Adapter ( + 29 )"... do what (also the extra for the thermal paste raised an eyebrow but that might be a bit more justified).

Anyhow yeah it is a nice laptop (so rarely do I see full res screens like that these days although their dead pixel policy reminds me of the pushy warranty people)- I mainly came here to say though that it is most likely a full desktop replacement which means it will be quite heavy and lugging it to and from classes will get to be a bit of a pain not to mention battery life will likely end up as "I might have enough time to finish typing this paragraph and check emails" so you will also likely have to find a space for the power brick.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
That's a nice price, OP, but really? A 17" gaming laptop?

A laptop's main function is portability. A laptop should ideally be used to compliment a desktop setup, not replace it. Heavy gaming can be done at home. If you don't have a home rig, damn well build one. It's cheap. You could build yourself a really top of the line 2012 desktop gaming rig for the price of that laptop. When you start to get into huge-ass heavy laptops with giant screens and short battery life due to dedicated graphics... well you're starting to miss the point.

In my opinion, as afar as laptops go, aim for something small. But if you really need a behemoth like that and are willing to lug it around, it's your choice.

Reactions: 2 people

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I've lugged around a 17" gaming laptop before. It's a lil heavy, but nothing I'm not used to.
But are the price, weight and reduced battery life worth the heavy gaming functions that could have been fulfilled far better by your desktop?
Seriously, how much gaming do you do on the go? Normal laptops can play games you know, and lots of them. It's more than enough to keep you busy on the run, unless you're particularly interested in playing The Witcher 2.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Considering how much fun I had in LAN parties with that laptop, I'd say it justified itself. Price was around $900 (at the time, for a Core 2 Duo and GeForce 8600M GS laptop), battery life was just a lil over an hour (for LAN parties I just played hooked to the wall), and weight is not an issue. The bigger screen was definitely worth it. Of course, my desktop was slightly stronger for gaming, but it's not exactly portable enough for LAN parties. I made very good use of it.

That's me. I always make very good use of any technology I get (like the time me and my brother hooked up all of our old PCs and laptops for a cloud-type processing project - even the Pentium II got some use). I can't speak for others.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Well, all right.

Edit: Diablo 3 has pretty low system requirements. You could probably run it on mid-high with a meagre chip like a 540m

CyborGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
My apologies for hijacking this topic; but how would you guys fare the laptop from TC against Alienware M14x and ASUS G55VW?

Alienware is obviously the most expensive of the bunch, but that's just the price I'm willing to go up to. Portability and battery life is not a factor for me, as I would be strictly gaming on these machines, anything else done with them is just a bonus. Of course the reason for choosing a notebook is being able to do lan gaming sessions with my friends, but that's as far as travelling with it goes.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions with this price range? So far the Sager NP6175 seems most ideal price and specs wise. Any help is appreciated. :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Portability and battery life is not a factor for me" yet you are going for tiny screens (14 and 15.6 inches...). The ASUS does claim to come with a full 1080p screen though which is quite rare these days.

Alienware.
(2x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
(1x) Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Port with PowerShare Technology
Eyebrow raised.

a/g/n wireless... I did not know A had come back into fashion for home machines but hey.

It said w7 ultimate on the site but others say home premium. Unless you do want to do domains or really care about encrypted filesystem (in which case TrueCrypt) and such the only real dealbreaker is ultimate supports up to 192 gigs of ram where HP only supports up to 16. Frankly though by the time games get to needing more than 16 the rest is going to be dragging it along.

8x SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Slot Load Optical Drive
Now I do not care about blu ray but that seems kind of slow although looking around it does seem to be the standard of the day.

The Asus (although there are a lot of options) by and large looks better in nearly every count and probably edges out the OP's selection.

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
Why don't you just get a MacBook Pro? They are really terrific machines, and once you become too old for gaming, you can still use it as a lightweight, portable tool for work.

CyborGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
@FAST6191 - well the reason for picking smaller screens is really due to price. Alienware m17x costs $400 just for a screen size upgrade, while the specs remain virtually the same. Unless I really decide to splash out (which would cost another $800 on top of that), there is no significant difference in specs. For the same reason I thought about ASUS G75VW, but decided against it because it's practically just a size upgrade with the same graphics card. I'm no expert with technology but I'm quite certain it's all about graphics card (and CPU) when it comes down to games.

Thanks for the input by the way, the ASUS does seem quite appealing. :) Plus, I doubt I will be needing 192 gb of RAM anytime soon though. :rofl:

@snikerz - Trust me mate, by the time I'm finished with gaming, that Macbook Pro would be heated to a point beyond repair, or quite simply just a flat battery which stops it from being travel friendly. Besides, my ancient netboook is perfect for doing simple tasks like Word documents. ;) But thanks anyway.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah it is GPU that matters somewhat more (some games are CPU or ram bound and most will benefit from a super fast hard drive but unless you want to go SSD they all seem to rock 7200rpm drives but we appear to be stating things already known) but at 14 inches and 15 inches you quite often start touching upon the smaller motherboard sizes and components (at least as far as games grade machines go) which come with a price premium a lot of the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +2
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make... +2