Hacking PIRATED VC GAMES - Easy to detect!

duncans_pumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well either way blu you didnt make it very clear you were posting about the last post and not replying to the first post in the thread. Quoting the first post is basicly saying your in reply to that post. Its days like this i wish we had a similar set up to Digg on comments.

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
coolbho3000 said:
Actually, reformatting does get rid of all tickets. The Wii Shop Channel just lets you redownload the games because - listen to this - the purchase history is stored serverside as well! This is why Nintendo recommends deleting the Wii Shop Channel account before reformatting the Wii.

Oh, I see. Interesting. So why do we have tickets on our machine if their server knows already?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
So the whole point of the thread (that a whole pile of people seem to have missed) is that Nintendo know what you have downloaded AND they can check what you have. So if you have something you didn't download, then THEY KNOW it's pirated.

Is have I missed it?

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
So the whole point of the thread (that a whole pile of people seem to have missed) is that Nintendo know what you have downloaded AND they can check what you have. So if you have something you didn't download, then THEY KNOW it's pirated.

Is have I missed it?

Maybe they'll know if you go to the shop channel but why would you? Also, you can remove the games and ticket with the wad uninstaller app if you ever want to visit again?

Who knows, it's a big thread of guess work.

blu9987

Trophies
Website
www.clan-geno.net
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:

Is have I missed it?

Well i'm in the shop channel right now... and under "titles you've downloaded" it shows NONE of the hacked VC games... so... yea....Also in account history nothing...
I believe that only applies to the people who think it'd be smart to try and download a hacked game from the actual shop...

nintendough

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendough said:
Sorry, I haven't read all the posts here (just came onto the forum figure out how to make an injectable game myself) but I have a question.

My friend sent me some files (a save file, a boot and a folder called with a 'wad,' which was Chrono Trigger in a DKC2 packing, NTSC) and I installed it by running backwards in Zelda. Have I done anything Nintendo would care about or can see?

I'd gladly pay for CT (I have it on SNES and PS1 but it's a pain to get my SNES out and the PS1 version loads so slowly during battles) but since Square doesn't put out many games I figured this was as best a way to go to play with a real controller and whatnot but now I'm worried I may have screwed myself.

Also, if I want to play some other games (thinking about Earthbound, again its a pain with my SNES but I could wait to see if Nintendo does release it) is it better to figure out how to make another 'injectable WAD' or to use something like Snes9X-WAD (and do any of those emus support classic controller)?

Thanks for any help, this stuff is so confusing!

Anyone have any comment on my question? I know there's a lot of debate about hacked wii games but i was wondeirng if that applies to injected roms and other homebrew...

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendough said:
Anyone have any comment on my question? I know there's a lot of debate about hacked wii games but i was wondeirng if that applies to injected roms and other homebrew...
I wouldn't update your Wii until we know for sure what's going to happen.
Even if you did pirate a VC game, we think the only thing that would happen is that in the next update the injected VC games and the pirated VC games would just stop working.

If Nintendo wanted to they could also ban you from Nintendo Wifi as well.
I doubt they would delete your legit VC games or brick your Wii.

neonix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Miles said:
nintendough said:
I wouldn't update your Wii until we know for sure what's going to happen.
Even if you did pirate a VC game, we think the only thing that would happen is that in the next update the injected VC games and the pirated VC games would just stop working.

If Nintendo wanted to they could also ban you from Nintendo Wifi as well.
I doubt they would delete your legit VC games or brick your Wii.
I doubt they would ban you from wifi either. Nintendo isn't out to *punish* you. It's not some sort of "You stole my apples, I'll steal your sheep" situation.

The people downloading VC games are all capable of running a PC/mac emulator to relive childhood memories. What difference does it make that they get them on the Wii? If Nintendo fights back and patches the VC sharing ability, nobody will be very upset.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neonix said:
I doubt they would ban you from wifi either. Nintendo isn't out to *punish* you. It's not some sort of "You stole my apples, I'll steal your sheep" situation.

The people downloading VC games are all capable of running a PC/mac emulator to relive childhood memories. What difference does it make that they get them on the Wii? If Nintendo fights back and patches the VC sharing ability, nobody will be very upset.
Like I said, if they wanted to they could, but like you said they aren't here to punish you, they are here to protect their profits.
My reasoning is that "They are hacking their Wii, and they will probably be hacking them again. Can't let them cheat online or compromise our severs."
But like I said, we won't know what will happen until it actually does.

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
nintendough said:

They'll release an update that stops them working, that's it, but you'll have used the wad uninstaller to remove them or formatted before you did that.

Nintendo have sold over 30 million Wii's, by the end of the year it will be 50,000,000 Wii's sold. A few thousand hackers playing about with VC roms is hardly concerning or significant to them. The online isn't a central thing for every game, I doubt they can ban you from playing, say, EA games online so I doubt they'll go down that route. I doubt they even care really.

VC is a rip off anyway for PAL users, the slowdown in some of the games is horrendous. They don't even warn you of this before you buy them.

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Hardcore Gamer said:
VC is a rip off anyway for PAL users, the slowdown in some of the games is horrendous. They don't even warn you of this before you buy them.

Thing is if theres slow down on the PAL version, on the NTSC version of the same game it will be alot worse, as the game is running at a fast speed thus stressing the system out more, so in that way the PAL version is better as the slowdown isnt as bad, but the trade off is borders and 50hz

Daimakaimura

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
playing Sonic on 50Hz is Horrible slow
tongue.gif

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
lettuce said:
Hardcore Gamer said:

Thing is if theres slow down on the PAL version, on the NTSC version of the same game it will be alot worse, as the game is running at a fast speed thus stressing the system out more, so in that way the PAL version is better as the slowdown isnt as bad, but the trade off is borders and 50hz

Is that right? Well, when I see the games played on VCReviews.com which I believe is an American website their VC games seem to run much better. Every review has a video of the gameplay.

Look at Bubble Bobble video on there http://www.vc-reviews.com/games/nes/bubble_bobble

Mine seems to in slow motion compared to that, in fact, the slow down makes it unplayable. I want a refund Nintendo! ;oD

CoinCollector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't pirate anything, but I did inject ROMs into VC games I don't own. So I guess I did pirate them, but I never played the actual Virtual Console games. Anyways....

I removed all of the channels I installed with the WAD Uninstaller because I don't want to risk being banned from Nintendo's online services, even though most people think Nintendo will not do that. The only thing I'm worried about now is if Nintendo can detect pirated VC games with your play history, or those folders I heard someone say that the uninstaller leaves. Does anyone think Nintendo can or will check for pirated games via those folders or your play history, or just stick with tickets if they check at all? And if worst comes to worst and Nintendo starts to ban, can I reformat my Wii and still have my Wii Shop Account and redownload my legally owned VC games? I can re-register friends and load backed-up Miis and saves, but I don't want to lose my VC (and pretty soon, WiiWare) games.

Also, I never connected to the Wii Shop Channel while I had the channels.

Hardcore Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
CoinCollector said:
I didn't pirate anything, but I did inject ROMs into VC games I don't own. So I guess I did pirate them, but I never played the actual Virtual Console games. Anyways....

I removed all of the channels I installed with the WAD Uninstaller because I don't want to risk being banned from Nintendo's online services, even though most people think Nintendo will not do that. The only thing I'm worried about now is if Nintendo can detect pirated VC games with your play history, or those folders I heard someone say that the uninstaller leaves. Does anyone think Nintendo can or will check for pirated games via those folders or your play history, or just stick with tickets if they check at all? And if worst comes to worst and Nintendo starts to ban, can I reformat my Wii and still have my Wii Shop Account and redownload my legally owned VC games? I can re-register friends and load backed-up Miis and saves, but I don't want to lose my VC (and pretty soon, WiiWare) games.

Also, I never connected to the Wii Shop Channel while I had the channels.

You can format and redownload games you've already bought, I did it the other day. There's a program called Title Lister on Wiibrew which lists all your titles if you want to check.

CoinCollector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardcore Gamer said:
You can format and redownload games you've already bought, I did it the other day. There's a program called Title Lister on Wiibrew which lists all your titles if you want to check.

Thanks! I tried Title Lister, and I saw the VC 4 letter IDs for all of the downloaded channels I should have, and not the two I installed. Just out of curiosity, I had two "hidden channels" called HALE and HAKE. Anyone know what those are?

nanika

文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CoinCollector said:
Hardcore Gamer said:

Thanks! I tried Title Lister, and I saw the VC 4 letter IDs for all of the downloaded channels I should have, and not the two I installed. Just out of curiosity, I had two "hidden channels" called HALE and HAKE. Anyone know what those are?
They are the EULA and "rgnsel", a Wii utility used to select region, i.e., you choose country in the Wii Menu, then everybody votes asks what state you live in. The state part is through rgnsel

death69inc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shakes head
one I dont play games online a few I paid for at the wiistore
not worried about if mine gets banned but I doubt it will happen as far as I know you can have more than one account on a wii as in I can have my account delete it sell the wii to someone else and they can make a new account on wii shop and guess what my games will still be on the wii but not on there shop info!

same goes with this speculation, I doubt nintendo will ban wii's for this beacuase people will go ape shit when there legal wii's get banned as did people with the xbox live accounts many people where banned that should not have been and microshit had to fix the issue at even more cost to them... I doubt nintendo will risk it over a small % of people accounts not matching even if they can detect it.

people in these forums seem to think more people pirate games than really do
never trust the publication numbers for piracy, it is easy for big companies to get them changed

either case is only my opinion but no reason for people to run and format and uninstall wads cuase some other persons opinion tells them they are going to be sorry ... my opinion and everyone elses holds as much truth as the posts starter

please dont bother with grammer insults lol I dont care and wastes forum space

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The entire point of the topic is to warn people that the possibility is there. The title is "PIRATED VC GAMES - Easy to detect", because they potentially are easy to detect. Whether Nintendo will resort to banning or not is up for discussion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1