PIRATED VC GAMES - Easy to detect!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by coolbho3000, Apr 20, 2008.

Apr 20, 2008
  1. coolbho3000
    OP

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

This is a warning to everyone pirating VC games: you're much better off just using an emulator. I'm not here to ruin your fun or give a lecture on the ethical nature of piracy, just hear me out.

The reason being is that the information for downloaded VC games is stored inside your Wii, in the form of a ticket. As far as I know, these are kept intact even after you delete the game! This means that some values on your Wii's NAND determine if you can redownload a game or not. The Wii Shop server keeps logs of your transactions as well. They are locked to your Wii shop account, and, depending on if you linked them, your My Nintendo account. If the storage inside the Wii and the Wii Shop server do not match up, then Nintendo has real proof that you downloaded the game illegally!

I'm just warning everyone how easily this can be detected by Nintendo! So if you value your Wii's online capability, DO NOT INSTALL PIRATE VC GAMES.

2. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Also, they probably still use the Trucha Bug.

3. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    You know how easily Trucha Signer can be patched
    Nintendo just don't give a shit

4. malsuk

Member malsuk GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the warning, I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know if Waninkoko WAD installer leaves any traces/code info that allows Nintendo to see that a VC game has been installed with this method??.

Also same question when the VC game is removed from your Wii are any traces/code info left???

would Waninkoko answer this???

would be nice to know if any code has or could be removed to stop Nintendo from seeing this some kind off stealth

5. coolbho3000
    OP

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Please read the thread - I explain the most obvious trace that is left to Nintendo.

6. Stalkid64

Member Stalkid64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The short answer to your question is yes... whatever is installed leaves a trace. To the moron above re the signing bug; Might want to look up that little thing called IOS37 which is due any time now. Otherwise you just look silly.

7. mb01

Member mb01 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Strongly agree mate.
    I would not want to download the games from the Wiishop even though i don't use online gaming. I will install them myself though.

8. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    Nah nintendo don't care, and not very likekly that i'll ever buy anything from that store. haven't even launched it in like half year.

but well maybe it's better if you don't install VC games. I never even saw why would you wanna buy old games while you can just play them on psp, pc etc.heh. Or jsut get real snes/nes. Could be cheaper than buy those overpriced games from shopping channel.

9. lou_weed

Member lou_weed GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    i must agree with the 1st post.
    dont install them until the channels will be completely different , and won't be detected as genuine downloaded games.

10. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    If they really cared... The new TP printing wouldn't have that bug, they'd issue a system update to prevent it on older ones, new DS's would stop NoPass from working, etc.

11. katsuce

Member katsuce GBAtemp Fan

France
    I'm definitely not using this now, I'll wait a couple of weeks/months to see if shit happens

12. asher

Member asher ^ Liar

Mexico
    might sound rude dude but mind your own business its not like you need to educate an old nintendo scene i think everyone here knows the risk with our r4s and our wiikeys

13. Bv8360

Newcomer Bv8360 Member

Australia
    Well, i wish i read this before i installed 3 of them!!

Cheers guys [​IMG]

That's o.k. I'll tell you all about it if my wii ends up banned!!

[​IMG]

14. katsuce

Member katsuce GBAtemp Fan

France
    he's trying to warn us because pirating a ds with a flash cart or a wii with a modchip is not the same as pirating VC games, he kinda has a point there.

15. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    No, they don't. Seriously. The amount of "wer da romz lol" questions we get astound me, and currently members actually have to manually type out something like "You can not get ROMs from GBAtemp" before they are allowed to register. Stupidity never fails to amaze, my expectations of humanity lower every day.

16. mb01

Member mb01 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Just don't download them from the Wiishop. Install them yourself and you'll be fine. Also the people that use these 'pirated' VC games probably wont need to go on the Wiishop now anyway.

17. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's always best to wait a few weeks/months to see what happens. A few weeks from now, the same stuff will still be available, and more will be known -- and perhaps, something better will come along.

But then ... you wait a few weeks/months to see what happens with that 'something better' and then something better comes out that you wait a few weeks/months to see what happens with ..........

18. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    asher.. he doesn't talk about R4 or wiikey.. he talks about the pirated VC games. and if you read the first post, , you will see the obvious statement he does.
    You have a game that IS LOCKED to your wii, and you can RE-DOWNLOAD IT for free... but wait, it doesn't say that you've downloaded / payed for it in the first place (you know, you can watch a list of that stored to your account)..

So therefore nintendo could easily see if you have the game and hasn't played it.

What do you get "risk with our r4s" from? That has nothing to do with it all, and honestly... what's the risk with those (unless you cheat on online games)?

19. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Unfortunately, it's impossible to block NoPasses without a specific blacklist, seeing as they are encrypted the same as DS carts.

20. Mooshywooshy

Member Mooshywooshy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Couldnt the data being left behind be part of the installation process via wiishop?
    So unless you download it from Wiishop it may not leave data behind.. but i dunno.