Piracy...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ByteMunch, Mar 15, 2010.

Mar 15, 2010

Piracy... by ByteMunch at 9:00 PM (1,024 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. ByteMunch
    OP

Member ByteMunch GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Well, I was watching TV and panorama came on, telling me about piracy. Apparently, in UK, there will be new laws to stop pirates. My question is, are they allowed to monitor my internet access, and throttle or cut off my internet? Thanks.

2. junker_man32

Banned junker_man32 Banned

United States
    apparently i always hear of mmore people getting caught in europe for piracy and stuff..so.........yeah like those german raids....yeah

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    If they start monitoring your internet than there would be a huge civil rights violation thing. Odds are the laws just enforce tougher penalties and screw over more uploaders. The thing with piracy is that governments don't go after downloaders. Think of it as weeds in the sidewalk. You can cut them with scissors, but they'll just grow back. Not until tear out the root (aka the uploaders) that they'll stop growing. And if governments already do monitor the internet without our knowledge, they won't blow it wide open to crack down on some kiddies who want to listen to some rad tunes for free. They'd only do it if it was a national security threat, like a terrorist talking with his cohorts over the internet. I haven't checked the new laws but I'd assume they won't really do much.

4. ByteMunch
    OP

Member ByteMunch GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Cool, thanks guys. [​IMG]

5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Er...well, I do have the shoutbox open...[​IMG]

6. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Mostly uploaders get caught, they don't care that much about the downloaders. Uploading is the only way for a file to be spread across the web, so if they get to the source of the uploaders they get the downloaders too, in a way.

7. outgum

Member outgum Pokemanz Master

New Zealand
    pretty much +1 on whats been said.
    However, I have heard cases of mass downloaders getting sprung, i mean like, this guys that have servers open constantly downloading from places etc etc.

But yeah, Its mainly uploaders

8. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    If you're concerned about being monitored, you could ditch torrents, or whatever you're using, and move onto usenet with ssl encryption. [​IMG]

9. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    They were planning on employing a third party company to spy on people and giving any rights holders the ability to block a website in the UK merely by accusing them of infringing their rights.

yes it is a huge civil rights violation but they'll do it anyway because the current government just wants to screw this country up as much as they can

Guy who proposed the plan wasn't even an elected official ffs, just a guy getting behind the scenes payments from the big companies.