jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
"cut of the head and the body will die"

It's not so much our fault as it is of the release groups that make it so easy to get isos/roms/films/music....get rid of the groups and it isnt as easy to obtain the files...Piracy is tolerated really...i mean, how easy is it to get such files, if they cracked down on it then it'd be a huge deterrant.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
even if there was no piracy, I still wouldn't buy crap games. but also when one does buy a crap game, he feels ripped off and most times is not allowed to return the game. but I've found ways around that in the past. I've had to keep a lot of crap from PC days that wasn't any good because barely any demos were available. Companies started making the excuse that one would not need to pirate software to try-before-buy because demos were becoming plentiful. But this obviously varies from system to system and I see that microsoft has the best approach so far. Instead of having to venture out and rent a game, you can just download a demo then need more and go out and buy it.

btw I see some above posters complaining about pirates on here... well... uh you are on a board that deals with piracy and items to use with piracy, maybe you should realize that before you create an account?

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My last game that I bought was new super mario bros.. that was on its release date... To be honest after that there hasn't been a lot of releases that where worth buying.. the only one I can think of is.. advance wars 2

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
They're already multi-billionaires, so piracy doesnt seem to be bankrupting them any. But one way nintendo could deal with the situation is by releasing they're own kind of flashcart that only allows encrypted nintendo ds games downloaded off a site ran by nintendo that has ds roms for cheaper than in the stores. That way, they could make more money and attract more customers.

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Its possible to move faster than light...
Pics or it didn't happen
wink.gif

Qpido

Call me Q.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I agree with MrKuenning, if it wasn't for Flashcarts, I wouldn't have bought my DS. Let alone for my Xbox, if I couldn't mod it I wouldn't have bought it.

Now I own 2 X360, have gotten 6 of my friends to get an X360. Have gotten 4 of my friends to get a DS, got my GF to get a DS.
I bought Halo3, some friends bought an X360 just to play Halo3.

I wouldn't have ever bought it without piracy.

And no one is really complaining, sales ARE up for almost all game publishers.
Google it.

Q~

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
do you want someone walking into your home and stealing your tangible video games? same thing when you steal them from the internet. fuck the word piracy. it should be known as theft.

It's not stealing because there's still a copy left on the internet. It's possibly costing a sale, but that's hardly theft. Don't corrupt the language.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Piracy is a blessing. I suffer from, and profit from piracy. Don't believe the millionaires who tell you otherwise. Please don't be a fucking tool!
'nuff said.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Since the early days of the C64, people have pirated stuff. The funny thing is on the C64 I had nearly all originals. The was done off only £3 pocket money every week (That's going back at least 20 years). When the game prices went up, take the amiga for example. That was £25 a game, I had about 2 original games for that. These days I do buy originals, but only get them new if they are very good. I usually use the second hand market. I also download them, as they do cost too much money. Not only that, I don't want to pay money for a bad game.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
do you want someone walking into your home and stealing your tangible video games? same thing when you steal them from the internet. fuck the word piracy. it should be known as theft.

Not even remotely close to the same thing.

you are right actually. cause those who do it are too chicken shit to steal something while not having a computer screen to hide behind. so in that sense you are correct.

This is why I murder the people I steal from so not only do I feel like a man, but I don't feel guilty about taking their stuff (they don't need it once they are dead). Murder, Theft, Copyright Infringement. I dunno why we use these separate terms. It's all 'crime' so they should be viewed exactly the same and all have the same penalty....right?

SaltyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the biggest banes of the internets existence, but...a blessing as well. This is a big can of worms in my opinion. Why is it that a game can retail for $60.00 in US but the game sold in UK sell for $40.00 US. Is it because the people in America are bigger pirates. No, look to Asia for that. Its because Americans have more throwaway money. If piracy was truly a concern to any organization they would seek a more proper price point unilaterally. The fact of the matter is they, the software publishers, are not infact hurt at all by piracy. Turdly games such as the upcoming Flash Focus was probably developed by Ninty for $100,000 but they know that this game is aimed at the very casual players and will sell likely several million copies. This will help offset development for games like Phantom Hourglass (of which I did buy a copy). Even if all of us did our part and purchased every game it wouldn't make a difference. There will always be crap games that are published because for some weird reason they do get purchased and corporate greed always wins in the end. Obviously it is total bullshit to claim that current gen games cost more to develop and therefore cost more in retail. Then why is that eBay has legitimate resellers selling them later at more reasonable prices? So, ultimately piracy is only a problem if you are one of the ROM hoarders that has to have every pirated game out there, say, Holly Hobbie
wink2.gif

theorgan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Not even remotely close to the same thing.

you are right actually. cause those who do it are too chicken shit to steal something while not having a computer screen to hide behind. so in that sense you are correct.

This is why I murder the people I steal from so not only do I feel like a man, but I don't feel guilty about taking their stuff (they don't need it once they are dead). Murder, Theft, Copyright Infringement. I dunno why we use these separate terms. It's all 'crime' so they should be viewed exactly the same and all have the same penalty....right?

eye for an eye.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually bought about 11 DS games:
Castlevania DoS and PoR
Advance Wars DS
Pokemon Diamond
Super Mario 64 DS
Picross DS
StarFox Command
Animal Crossing WW
Metroid Prime Hunters
Mario Kart DS
Brain Age 2

But, after getting AC and before getting Picross/Brain Age 2, I got an R4. I bought Picross/Brain Age 2 saying I'd use the R4 to demo games I wanted to buy, and then buy them if they were good. After thinking about that for a while, I said fuck it. I sold all the games on eBay for a VERY good profit (I bought all of them except Brain Age, Picross and Animal Crossing used off of eBay). Now, I just pirate games on my DS and PSP. Fuck buying them.

But, one thing I hypothesize is that the reason the PSP has such a shitty library of now and upcoming games compared to the DS is because piracy is more prevalent on the PSP. People buying that thing are usually more tech savvy, and TBH, it's a plain flat out piece of shit with Sony's HORRIBLE official firmware. It surprises me how much better homebrew devs are than their corporate counterpart, it's just pitiful.

For example, using the homebrew app iRShell to replace your XMB, you can overclock your PSP (333mHz) and play mp3s while ingame or using the web browser. Using Sony's OFW or the XMB, you can't do that. Why? It's OBVIOUSLY not because the PSP isn't powerful enough, it's because Sony blows. Not to mention that loading pirated ISOs off of the Memory Stick loads faster than UMD, and takes less battery power and is more compact... If they would just make their PSP (Pretty Shitty Portable) better with their OFW, maybe people wouldn't pirate AS much. Because right now, pirating owns on the PSP.

Wow, that was a long post and tirade. Love my DS and PSP
tongue.gif

theorgan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

It's not stealing because there's still a copy left on the internet. It's possibly costing a sale, but that's hardly theft. Don't corrupt the language.

so lets say you were an artist which you are most certainly not. if you wrote a book of poetry. not for aesthetic value but for the sake of monetary gain (how you make a living) and it was posted on the internet. how would you view it? and the use of the word theft or piracy is not subjective. it is a parallel. there is no corruption

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol