Hacking Pikmin 2 (GC) SZS Files

WiiFan2012

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure where to put this, but;

I would like to know how to edit the SZS file of Pikmin 2. I opened the file in the SZS Modifier and I got the dreaded "This file may not be compatible with the SZS Modifier" message. I also tried the SZS Explorer, and no go. ("Error while decoding".)

Here is some of the Hex:

Code:
Yaz0..Ì€........ÿRARC..Ì€ÿ... ...@ò..¿ 0.€..@.Ï.j.#.'.`..û.à.j.0"ROßOT.;..§..{ 3CURS.K.”ïÎ...S.HAP»P.[ik¢0..MïOTI.k¬œ>.¿F.s.ORIM.þ..—.L...ƒ÷\PIK...Åpïñ...“aÿÿ”ÅÎ..O.Ÿ p. —ÿêÿk¢..i.³.€.Õœ>.'¬.Ç.€'.ËL..[.Û.€;pñN..Å ³€O...€ðY`.

Thanks for the help!

jmw86069

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me too. I'm trying to do a cross-over from custom Mario Kart Wii tools into the Pikmin 2 SZS files... Did you get anywhere with editing these SZS files in Pikmin 2?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
That's a RARC, Yaz0 compressed file (you can note that by the first 4 bytes from the header), very common in GCN games (since this game is actually a port). You have to use the yaz0dec.exe from the szstools pack @www.amnoid.de/gc to decompress the *.szs file. Then, use the rarcdump utility to extract the resulting *.rarc file.

I don't know the actual differences between the GameCube's *.szs files and MKWii's *.szs files, but I can tell they're not the same format.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0