Hacking Homebrew GCN PicoBoot - GameCube IPL replacement modchip using Raspberry Pi Pico

• Thread starter hdx
  • Start date
  • Views 40,920
  • Replies 191
  • Likes 39

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Gecko reads full size SD cards, that's an advantage for me as I get those very very cheap. My gecko died so I was about to change to parallel port, but ended up with another gecko.
For anyone having intermittent black screens check your sd2sp2 adapter. Try gecko and see if it changes anything.

hdx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

PicoBoot v0.2 release​

Just a heads up I've just released new PicoBoot v0.2 firmware.

It comes with updated iplboot which introduces overall reliability improvements and new features. The most important one is that you can hold D-Pad Down during boot to see output from iplboot. It's very useful to validate hardware installation of PicoBoot.

Grab new PicoBoot release here: https://github.com/webhdx/PicoBoot/releases/tag/v0.2 and be sure to read update instructions .

Together with new release I've moved all the knowledge to the Wiki. I also created Troubleshooting Tips page where I've addressed most of the issues people are experiencing right now: https://github.com/webhdx/PicoBoot/wiki/Troubleshooting-tips

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

PicoBoot v0.2 release​

It comes with updated iplboot which introduces overall reliability improvements and new features. The most important one is that you can hold D-Pad Down during boot to see output from iplboot. It's very useful to validate hardware installation of PicoBoot.

Grab new PicoBoot release here: https://github.com/webhdx/PicoBoot/releases/tag/v0.2 and be sure to read update instructions .

Together with new release I've moved all the knowledge to the Wiki. I also created Troubleshooting Tips page where I've addressed most of the issues people are experiencing right now: https://github.com/webhdx/PicoBoot/wiki/Troubleshooting-tips

"you can assign even more DOL files to different buttons (A, B, X, Y, Z, START, D-Left, D-Right, D-Up)"

I have no words to describe how awesome it is. 9 fast boot options, It's more than anyone will ever need!

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States

PicoBoot v0.2 release​

I can't seem to get it to work with a pico w at all, no matter what my wire length is I always get a black screen. I know my GameCube isn't damaged because disconnecting everything brings it back to the stock GameCube menu, so I'm not sure if v0.2 works with the pico w yet

EDIT: Disregard what I said about v0.2, just tried v0.1 and it still doesn't work

Last edited by Dionicio3,

johw

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pico W is not officially supported yet but it should work. There is definitely an issue in your wiring if you get no video output. Post pictures of your install.
Is it mandatory to remove the 3.3V wire?

johw

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To not put your Raspberry Pi Pico at risk I have to say - yes. Although I'm not removing the wire for updates and I haven't killed my PicoBot yet.
another doubt
Will the new Raspberry Pi Pico board with wifi soldering be the same? in the case of operation, can I exchange the files all by FTP?

hdx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I haven't even tried anything with Pico W yet. I don't think WiFi speed is going to be useful for anything other than providing updates to Swiss and PicoBoot. I highly doubt it'll be fast enough for game streaming, emulating LAN for MKDD or exchanging files via FTP.
When Pico W support comes out there will be a change in wiring because we need additional wire for MOSI line.

cherryduck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I haven't even tried anything with Pico W yet. I don't think WiFi speed is going to be useful for anything other than providing updates to Swiss and PicoBoot. I highly doubt it'll be fast enough for game streaming, emulating LAN for MKDD or exchanging files via FTP.
When Pico W support comes out there will be a change in wiring because we need additional wire for MOSI line.
I have a Pico W working great in my Gamecube with Picoboot using the standard wiring. When you say there will be a change in wiring, do you mean I will have to redo all the points, or just that there will be one additional wire? Because I know which I'd prefer!

Gallaer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I hesitated on going for the Picoboot as the original IPL of the system would be replaced. I know that you could just hold down a button during console startup to boot into the standard menu screen. Would it be possible instead for it to boot into the standard menu screen and hold down a button for Swiss? I want to keep the system sort of stealth.

Also is there any news for an easy install ribbon cable for the picoboot?

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So I hesitated on going for the Picoboot as the original IPL of the system would be replaced. I know that you could just hold down a button during console startup to boot into the standard menu screen. Would it be possible instead for it to boot into the standard menu screen and hold down a button for Swiss? I want to keep the system sort of stealth.

Hold b at startup and loads stock without anything extra needed on sd card. Not exactly what you wanted but yeah. Also, the install is super easy.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

From what I understand of the usage instructions here: https://github.com/redolution/iplboot
If you don't have an ipl.dol present then booting with no button pressed will do standard official boot. Then you can have Swiss named as b.dol or whichever button you want to press for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/381r8gSxP0Y?si=x1xS_cr0puutjn3S