Hacking Homebrew GCN PicoBoot - GameCube IPL replacement modchip using Raspberry Pi Pico

• Thread starter hdx
  • Start date
  • Views 40,235
  • Replies 191
  • Likes 39

hdx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Much as I hate to broach the concept of FPGA "power" do you have a general range of such things?
Hard to tell. PIO can do very fast GPIO toggling but it's all done using very limited assembly language. There are only 9 types of instructions. It's vastly different from any hardware description language. Some stuff can be still done on it, there are some crazy implementations of things like DVI...

I’m curious, are there any plans to support the wifi version in some way?
Yes, I ordered a few Pico W's. Just don't expect too much from it. I doubt I'll be able to give you BBA replacement. I was thinking more about features like automatic OTA updates for Swiss so you never have to download it again.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I ordered a few Pico W's. Just don't expect too much from it. I doubt I'll be able to give you BBA replacement. I was thinking more about features like automatic OTA updates for Swiss so you never have to download it again.

Thanks, OTA updates happened to be what I was thinking of, particularly if it can update the Pico itself to save reopening the console.

yo1dog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leave it in your GameCube and you won't lose it, unless you lose your GameCube 😂

I always remove cards from my GC when traveling so they don't break (e.g. going to friend's house). It would just be nice to know that I don't have to worry about it if I don't need Swiss. I'd use a SD2SP2 but I have a DOL-101.

IPLBoot used by PicoBoot can run up to 4 different DOL files:

• ipl.dol - loaded by default
  • x.dol - loaded when you hold X during boot
  • y.dol - loaded when you hold Y during boot
  • b.dol - loaded when you hold B during boot

If the file cannot be found it will go to the regular GC menu instead.

Nice! I assume this means if there is no SD at all it will go to regular GC menu.

This IPLBoot functionality is so cool and I never knew about it! Is it documented somewhere?

hdx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
OP are you the creator of PicoBoot?

If so thank you for being creative.

This video gives a good overview of the device.

Also the new Pico W has reportedly blue tooth functionality which will be enabled later through a firmware update.

EDIT : Fairs fair. This guy deserves some coverage too.

Last edited by torrent_get,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
A cheap DIY solution to boot into Swiss directly without a disc is finally here... My Gamecube endgame goal. Loving it! Can hardly wait for the OTA updates! I'll get the Pico W for sure!

Reactions: Kioku

fwannmacher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Another nice feature would be adding configs for OTA of different dols like GBI. Something like b.cfg and then a structure with data used for setting the stuff needed for getting the updates.

Manpoops

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some really big issues with this. I really want to to work but I have tried it on two different gamecubes of the same model (001) and neither have been successful. Just shows a black screen. When I undo the mod it works as normal. Any suggestions?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Another nice feature would be adding configs for OTA of different dols like GBI. Something like b.cfg and then a structure with data used for setting the stuff needed for getting the updates.
Like setting up the SSID and password for the network.

kublai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if the Pico from Aliexpress would work or does it have to be the PIco ordered from RPI official website?

yo1dog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installed. Works like a charm. A few tips for installing on a DOL-101 specifically:
  • I don't think you have to actually remove the heatsink. You must remove the screws that go through the heatsink and secure the motherboard to the bottom chassis so you can access the underside of the motherboard. However, you don't need to take the heatsink off the mobo, risking having to replace the thermal pads. Not 100% sure on this as I did remove the heatsink before I realized I did not have to.
  • Beware the standoff that mounts right above GP4 installation location. There is not much distance to work with:
    IMG_5149 2.jpegIMG_5147.jpeg
  • Routing the wires from the underside of the mobo requires minor trimming of the metal chassis so they don't get squished between the motherboard and chassis. You can probably get around this by feeding wires through existing holes in the chassis, but doing so will "tie" the mobo and chassis together and you will be unable to separate them without detaching wires from the pico.
    IMG_5148 2.jpeg

Also, there is a GND pin on pico between GP5 and GP6 that I found more convenient than the GND pin shown in the instruction diagram.

I put the pico in the large expansion bay for easy access. Not sure this will ever actually be useful though.

Attachments

• IMG_5149.jpeg
    IMG_5149.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5151.jpeg
    IMG_5151.jpeg
    960.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5154.jpeg
    IMG_5154.jpeg
    802.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5152.jpeg
    IMG_5152.jpeg
    806.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5155.jpeg
    IMG_5155.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 81

yo1dog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Standard version is only capable of loading ipl.dol file, PicoBoot uses this forked version: https://github.com/seewood/iplboot

Ah cool. New as of 3 days ago: https://github.com/seewood/iplboot/commit/a3012393352d93b73acf8bbb2216b49c0c674df9

I'll be forking and submitting a pull request soon. I am in a unique situation in which my P1 controller port is non-functioning and would like to add support for the other controller ports. Hopefully can do the same for Swiss.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Installed. Works like a charm. A few tips for installing on a DOL-101 specifically:
  • I don't think you have to actually remove the heatsink. You must remove the screws that go through the heatsink and secure the motherboard to the bottom chassis so you can access the underside of the motherboard. However, you don't need to take the heatsink off the mobo, risking having to replace the thermal pads. Not 100% sure on this as I did remove the heatsink before I realized I did not have to.
  • Beware the standoff that mounts right above GP4 installation location. There is not much distance to work with:
    View attachment 316538View attachment 316539
  • Routing the wires from the underside of the mobo requires minor trimming of the metal chassis so they don't get squished between the motherboard and chassis. You can probably get around this by feeding wires through existing holes in the chassis, but doing so will "tie" the mobo and chassis together and you will be unable to separate them without detaching wires from the pico.
    View attachment 316534

Also, there is a GND pin on pico between GP5 and GP6 that I found more convenient than the GND pin shown in the instruction diagram.

I put the pico in the large expansion bay for easy access. Not sure this will ever actually be useful though.
I like your tips, but I'd like to offer some advice too:

• On the wires running out of the chassis, I recommend using a 5 or 6 pin JST connector between the board and the Pi, making it easy to disconnect the two.
  • I also don't recommend putting the Pi in the large Serial expansion bay, as that's where the future M.2 SATA SSD is going to go when it's ready for showtime. (Though you can probably fit the Pi back in there after it's been installed.)
  • If you're wanting an alternative access to your internal Pico's USB port and don't mind a little shell modification then adding one of these to your build could be helpful. Gives you a USB C port that connects right to the Pico's micro USB port:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4056
4056-02.jpg

yo1dog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good advice.

I only have 4 pin connectors on hand right now so I just made due. Expecting to fix it in the future. And yup, can always move the pico.

hdx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
USB extension cable won't work. You still need to have access to BOOTSEL button in order to flash Pico. Also don't install it this way - you're blocking SP1 port which you gonna need when M.2 Loader drops. There are only 4 screws to undo in order to program PIco - what's so difficult about it? Also you only need to update Swiss on the SD card, there aren't going to be many updates to PIcoBoot. I think the nearest update will include OTA update feature but for that you'll need to switch Pico with Pico W.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended