Chapter 10: 98%

Bonus Chapter 1: 98%
Bonus Chapter 2: 98%
Bonus Chapter 3: 98%
Bonus Chapter 4: 98%

Total chapters : 10 + 4 Bonus on PSP
Patch Download:

(PKP Patched _v0_9_3.xdelta)

Fixed a bunch of typos and bugs in the game.

Tools:
- Phantom Kingdom Toolpack Version 5 (download link)
- La Pucelle Toolpack Version 6 (download link)
- Python File Format Tools - La Pucelle (download link)
- Python File Format Tools - Phantom Kingdom Portable (download link)

Instruction to patch the game:
1) You need to dump your UMD, or use this release : Phantom_Kingdom_Portable_JPN_PSP-Caravan (filename cvn-pkp.iso)
2) Download the patch
3) Download xdelta UI
4) Backup ISO
5) Run xdelta UI
6) Patch PKP iso with PKP_patched_v0_x_x.xdelta in xdelta UI
7) Either use a PSP emulator or download to PSP and enjoy

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DATA.dat Format

The format is:
16 byte header:
0x0-0x7: SPFS_V1
0x8-0xB: Number of entries in header table
0xC-0xF: Nothing

32 byte header per entry in header table:
0x00-0x13: Filename
0x14-0x18: decompressed file size (if needed) [little endian]
0x18-0x1B: file size [little endian]
0x1C-0x1F: pointer - location in DATA.dat (No offset...absolute position) [little endian]

YKCMP format

0x00 chars(8) YKCMP_V1

0x08 uInt32 unknown (0x00000004)

0x0C uInt32 compressed file size

0x10 uInt32 decompressed file size

After 0x14 are compressed data.

From 0x14

Read 1 byte (I'll call it b1.)

If b1 < 0x80 Read and output b1 bytes.

If b1 >= 0x80 there will be 2 indicators which are number of bytes to move back (Y) and number of bytes to read (X).

If b1 >= 0x80 but < 0xC0 split it to XY.

If b1 >= 0xC0 but < 0xE0 read 1 more byte (I'll call it b2) and split it to XXYY

If b1 >= 0xE0 read 2 more bytes and split it to XXXYYY

Note: The values will be something like move back Y+1 bytes, and then for X, you have to subtract from its base first. (Ex. If XY then X-8, if XXYY, then XX-0xC0, if XXXYYY then XXX-0xE00)

Ex. From your compressed file example, starting from 0x14.
@0x14: b1 = 0B, so read 0B bytes and output.
@0x20: b1 = 91, so X = 9, Y = 1. Move back 1+1= 2 bytes. Read 9-8+1= 2 bytes and output. (You got 00 00.)
@0x21: b1 = A3, Move back 3+1= 4 bytes. Read A-8+1 = 3 bytes and output. (00 00 00)
@0x22: b1 = 8D, Move back D+1= 0xE bytes. Read 8-8+1= 1 byte and output. (41)
@0x23: b1 = 04, read 04 bytes and output. (4E 4D 30 30)
@0x28: b1 = 91. Move back 2 bytes, read 2 bytes. (30 30)
@0x29: b1 = 04, read 04 bytes and output. (2E 44 41 54)
@0x2E: b1 = C5, b2= 11. Move back 0x11+1= 0x12 bytes. Read C5-C0+2=7 byte and output. (00 00 00 00 00 00 00)

Ex. for 0xE0 base is b1 = FF, b2 = F3, b3 = FF. So you get FFF3FF. XXX = FFF, YYY = 3FF. Move back 3FF+1 bytes. Read FFF-E00=1FF+3 bytes.

(I think if it's 0xC0 base, you add 2 to number of byte read, and if it's 0XE00 base, you add 3 to number of byte read, but I'm not 100% sure. You can try to experiment with these numbers.)

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! It's amazing that you're putting in the time to work on this game too.

Makai Kingdom (or Phantom Kingdom as it was originally called) was such an odd game to me. It really obviously was the result of a development on another game getting cut short, and them having to use what they had to push something out to recoup losses-- but the characters of Zetta, Pram, and the other Overlords were definitely interesting to me, and I liked that the gameplay was a step up from Phantom Brave's confining system. It had interesting artwork and music provided by multiple sources, and in a way it's a big collab game. It also was the game to introduce Asagi!

I still somewhat wish that they could go back to the game though and make a version (or a sequel?) with the kinda treatment it should've gotten. When your graphical quality is a sudden step /down/ from Phantom Brave (which came before this), there's obviously something wrong. Funnily though, this version definitely still looks better than the PS2 version, thanks in part to sprite sharpening.

Good luck though on the game, Chep! Glad to have you working on it.

Reactions: Star-scream

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is going to take 6+ months before PKP becomes playable in English with a patch.

I just also got the complete translation of the bonus material from my translator for LPR. I am going to put this work on PKP on hold until I finish LPR.

Star-scream

Trophies
XP
Country
Cool stuff dude I'm not sure I can't remember I think I asked what I asked a few weeks back so sorry about that lol man keep up with the good work.

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that we have been quiet on the PKP front but we have been working hard to get a few more of the file formats working. There are two new formats that have all the NPCs and shop text in it. I have been working on code for the toolkit to edit the files.

The question I have for the community is...

How often do you want us to release patches?

I know I released them every few weeks for LPR but many people complained we released them too quickly.
I am thinking of maybe just major releases but it little effort on our part to release them.

We plan to have a v0.0.1 soon with menus and some other tidbits in the game soon.
-ChepChep

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think once every few chapters after you get the first chapter and the menus/NPCs fully translated would be a good idea. It'd allow for reasonable gaps between things, and would give people ample room to put in any typo spottings or bug reports in small segments. After that, when it comes to the PSP chapters/extra characters, translate all of that before releasing.

Reactions: Star-scream

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
Practically speaking you're going to have problems getting incidental testers until there's something to lure them in (i.e New Content). As I result I can't see any reason to release old content individually , beyond giving your dedicated testers time to go over it in chunks.

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking through the files for PKP,, there is very little main story and extra content compared with LPR. This game is pretty short.

Star-scream

Trophies
XP
Country
Awesome guy's, keep up the good work and I am thankful for it and I am sure others are too! I know it's really soon to ask this but if I could do it I would do it my self but don't know the know how's too lol but do you think you could take a look at the black/matrix game's and what do you think of them?

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My biggest issue is that I do not know Japanese. I have been using the PS2 script for games to translate the PSP games and then finding someone who is willing to translate the extra content. I not sure I am willing to tackle a game yet that is all in Japanese.

Star-scream

Trophies
XP
Country
My biggest issue is that I do not know Japanese. I have been using the PS2 script for games to translate the PSP games and then finding someone who is willing to translate the extra content. I not sure I am willing to tackle a game yet that is all in Japanese.

Oh ok that is one of the games that I am wanting to play someday and my Japanese is not that good right now keep falling be hide on it :cry:

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel I owe everyone an update since we have been so quiet. We are getting close to having a release. Things have been going very well with the translation. We have just about everything done in the game except the eboot.bin and the story line past chapter 1 which is mostly in the talk.dat file.

All NPC, items, names equipment, skills and etc are all translated and inserted into the game. I created a new toolkit for PKP since there are a bunch of new file format and tweaks on the ones from LPR. I am mostly waiting to make a release once we got the eboot.bin done with all the menus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I will nvr say a FUQing Curse word Again :D