Hacking Question Permanent Violet Screen on Switch.

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe a exact description of what did you use to have a softbrick and if you can a tutorial of how did you recover without a previous backup
+1 for this. A well documented recovery strategy would be a great addition for future users that may fuck up like this.

Reactions: Nezztor

rajkosto

Trophies
XP
Country
the "recovery strategy" is literally right below his image of the working switch ?
he sent me his RawNand.bin via PM, i verified its exactly the thing i thought it would be (see my post near the end of page 1), i wrote a payload that restores the GPT of the switch to the one it comes out of the factory with (the GPT is the same on all currently released switches, because there's no reason for it to change until they start releasing 64GB/16GB,etc models) and he ran it, which fixed his "brick"

Last edited by rajkosto,

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the "recovery strategy" is literally right below his image of the working switch ?
he sent me his RawNand.bin via PM, i verified its exactly the thing i thought it would be (see my post near the end of page 1), i wrote a payload that restores the GPT of the switch to the one it comes out of the factory with (the GPT is the same on all currently released switches, because there's no reason for it to change until they start releasing 64GB/16GB,etc models) and he ran it, which fixed his "brick"

I more meant a write-up, or hell just your post quoted, in a stickied thread. Not everyone is smart enough to dig for it as a reply in this thread that could be god knows how far down next time something like this happens.

rajkosto

Trophies
XP
Country
well maybe you can ask the other person who said that restoring their full backup fixed it, if there's a common program they both ran on it that messed it up accidentally, that'd be good to know.
this doesn't NORMALLY happen.

Last edited by rajkosto,

TapNorX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
everyone tinkering with software mods know how it feels, the shivering, the sweat... good work...glad he can sleep well now :D

TheSynthax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, in my defense, I'm not the one trying to sell a solution that I know full well will stop working within a matter of months on new systems. ;P
So they shouldn't sell a modchip because Nintendo will patch it? That's some backward logic. There a millions of Switches out there. TX will release an updated chip for the revised boards if/when a new exploit is found. This would not be the first time they have released a modchip for a system that was later patched. There's plenty of demand for the product, there's no reason they shouldn't sell said product.

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they shouldn't sell a modchip because Nintendo will patch it? That's some backward logic. There a millions of Switches out there. TX will release an updated chip for the revised boards if/when a new exploit is found. This would not be the first time they have released a modchip for a system that was later patched. There's plenty of demand for the product, there's no reason they shouldn't sell said product.

Except they can't. The SX uses the RCM method that Mariko-revision Switches will have patched absolutely. If another hardmod is found, then that's fine and dandy, but I would be shocked if they provided the new solution for free to SX owners.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Funny! This happened to my switch yesterday after testing nxloader with a phone. After fg was successful I pressed power button and got a violet screen. Holding the power button for ten seconds solved it.

Reactions: Don Jon

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Funny! This happened to my switch yesterday after testing nxloader with a phone. After fg was successful I pressed power button and got a violet screen. Holding the power button for ten seconds solved it.
Wasn't that rather a green or orange screen ?

rajkosto

Trophies
XP
Country

thats normal when running most payloads, they just panic on power button press which gives you a colored screen
the OP had a violet panic screen TRYING TO LAUNCH HORIZON OS EVERY TIME, not after a payload.

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
WOuld you be willing to release your mod of hekate that adds the restore feature.
Ill probably receive a ton of heat for that lmao but sure.

Bad idea.
hekate supports writes to eMMC, since start.
It's just a matter of adding an extra loop function. I actually have it. Many have it. But there's no hell of a chance, I will release it.
There are many reasons, no one releases or makes a commit with that.

And of course don't forget that the majority of people here have a corrupt backup without knowing it.
(non-updated hekate - ipl binaries that do not report write errors to sd card and they just continue).

Reactions: OblivionReign

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice to know you fixed it. When atmosphere gets released 1st thing I will do is BACKUP like on my 3DS...

But I hope recovery tools by then get better or implemented in Atmosphere it self. A reconstruction nand app would also be cool to have.
Except they can't. The SX uses the RCM method that Mariko-revision Switches will have patched absolutely. If another hardmod is found, then that's fine and dandy, but I would be shocked if they provided the new solution for free to SX owners.
Well they can always try a completely different approach trying to glitch the SOC like on the X360 RGH if they ever find a way to do it, however Switch's space is also very limited and not very friendly for that type of harmodes as fat consoles ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/cKEFoR8kec0?si=ZyebV_OHR6dxXWCE