Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you guys think?

If something makes the majority happy, why is that better than not making the majority happy.

Also, Is a perfect world best to maximize happiness.

For example, if you had every Wii game, would that maximize your happiness (I would love to hear from pirates on this one)...

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Perfection is a matter of opinion. Thus is cannot be achieved en masse.
What is perfect for some, isn't perfect for others. Thus a perfect world isn't possible unless we brainwash everyone to think the same, and that wouldn't be very happy.

Reactions: 9 people

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had brought up that, but then I went to the opinion, what if everyone believed and thought the same thing, wouldn't that be perfect?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you fight this?

If everyone believed in the same thing, wouldn't that be relatively perfect no matter what it was? No one to disagree otherwise, you would live in a state of not non-happiness.

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
No, that would just be wasting my space, in my hardrive, on bunch of games that i'm pretty sure I won't play.

If Something makes the majority happy then it's great!, but I also don't mind something that makes the minority happy too.
Nothing is better than the other, making the majority happy is alright, but I think there should be something for both sides.
Now to answer your question, it's the same, the only thing that makes it better is because things that don't please the majority often brings sadness.
Sadness≠ No happiness

Also a perfect world in my opinion would not make anything different, as for one we DON'T know what does a perfect world looks like.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had brought up that, but then I went to the opinion, what if everyone believed and thought the same thing, wouldn't that be perfect?

I have to agree that this seems like an incredibly boring concept.
Without challenging one another, how do we expand our minds? How do we grow as a people? What's so perfect about a group of cookie-cutter similar people? How could such people ever think outside the proverbial "box"?

Reactions: 1 person

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
if everyone believed and thought the same thing then in its own way they will be happy but I wouldn't think it was true happiness but just one because they can't and aren't allowed to think different to everyone else. That seems more like slavery, brainwashing etc than happiness.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People aren't really capable of being permanently happy, so no. You're always going to be wanting to go on that next adventure, so for everyone to be happy you're going to need a complex system.

I'd say I'm pretty happy and my life's not perfect.

Reactions: 2 people

jarejare3

PROFILE CHANGE!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
How do you fight this?

If everyone believed in the same thing, wouldn't that be relatively perfect no matter what it was? No one to disagree otherwise, you would live in a state of not non-happiness.

If everyone believes in in the same thing, that is not a perfect world.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have to agree that this seems like an incredibly boring concept.
Without challenging one another, how do we expand our minds? How do we grow as a people? What's so perfect about a group of cookie-cutter similar people? How could such people ever think outside the proverbial "box"?

It was brought up, if we don't challenge each other, even though it doesn't advance technology, people lived in years ago without more happier then we live now.

AKA, people who lived years ago, just because we have more than they did, doesn't make us happier society.

What is perfection was often being played with, I think my point was more towards jarejare (no happiness =! sadness). In a world where everyone believes in the same thing, there is no possibility of sadness, some say that may be perfect.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
No no no no. Perfection isn't subjective. Actual perfection would be seen as perfect by everyone.
But perfection in the eyes of everyone will be different thus perfection is subjective.

Just because something is perfect to you doesn't make it perfect to me same can be allied to anything that requires more than 1 person to feel/think the same thing.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In otherwords perfection is an opinion, but if everyone believed the same thing (such as religion) their idea of perfection would be the same but everyone would would work towards iy

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No no no no. Perfection isn't subjective. Actual perfection would be seen as perfect by everyone.
But perfection in the eyes of everyone will be different thus perfection is subjective.

Just because something is perfect to you doesn't make it perfect to me same can be allied to anything that requires more than 1 person to feel/think the same thing.

If you think it is perfect and I do not, then by definition it is not perfect at all.
What I'm saying is, if everyone subjectively saw something as "perfect" then it is perfect. Which essentially means nothing is perfect on this planet.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...but if everyone believed the same thing (such as religion)...

I believe that we would have a far better chance at attaining global "perfection" if we all were to begin moving away from Religion.
Religion has a tendency to keep us separated. It creates "Us/Them" situations, though most of them profess otherwise.

Reactions: 3 people

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
In otherwords perfection is an opinion, but if everyone believed the same thing (such as religion) their idea of perfection would be the same but everyone would would work towards iy
No I consider that brainwashing because you are threatened/forced etc to think that opinion in the first place instead of making an unbiased decision on your own free will but that is a different issue.

If you think it is perfect and I do not, then by definition it is not perfect at all.
What I'm saying is, if everyone subjectively saw something as "perfect" then it is perfect. Which essentially means nothing is perfect on this planet.
Your right if everyone thought something as perfect then it would be considered perfect but that isn't possible because everyone has a different option and thought.

Imperfection is in itself is perfect because nothing can be perfect making everything imperfect.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree of brainwashing. But what if everyone was brainwashed and by definition no one knew they were... Just imagine what you are thinking now, all your beliefs, everyone thought the same thing...

I just realized, as statistics say, it's probable if everyone thoughts the same thing, things can happen otherwise... People who don't believe in murder can still murder... etc...

I don't even want to say what conditions I'm in tonight, but you can probably guess... night.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...but if everyone believed the same thing (such as religion)...

I believe that we would have a far better chance at attaining global "perfection" if we all were to begin moving away from Religion.
Religion has a tendency to keep us separated. It creates "Us/Them" situations, though most of them profess otherwise.
Which is why (using myself as an example of sorts) Christians should promote Christianity as more of a relationship with God than a religion.

However, I will not deny that it creates division of sorts. We're supposed to be in the world but not of it, separating ourselves by our actions, and hoping to bring others into the fold.

Your right if everyone thought something as perfect then it would be considered perfect but that isn't possible because everyone has a different option and thought.

Imperfection is in itself is perfect because nothing can be perfect making everything imperfect.
So...you're agreeing with me?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: