PC Build Help

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Blue_Mew, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Blue_Mew
    OP

Blue_Mew GBAtemp Addict

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    So I plan to get a new PC in a couple months, just wondering if these specs seem alright. I have a budget of £2000 (about $2600). Here's what I have so far: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HnwFYT

2. Ethan34

Ethan34 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2018
    Myanmar (Burma)
    Looks great, however if not discount on 1080ti might be gettingg 2080 RTX!.. Since same performans but also has rtx.
    Also new intel 9th gen coming very soon so if can wait: do. But if you absolutely must order now 8700K is still great choice :D

Blue_Mew likes this.
  3. Kingy_

Kingy_ Mr Guy, Destoyer of Shintel

Feb 21, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    If you wanna do literally anything else with gaming on your PC, Ryzen is a better choice for less. But the 8700K is a good choice anyways.
    Also, don't get the RTX 2080. You won't notice much of a difference, and you'd be paying more. You hit spot-on with the 1080 Ti. (RTX is probably going to be rubbish- sub-60fps 1080p, and isn't even useful until a few months.)

Last edited by Kingy_, Sep 22, 2018
    ry755 and Blue_Mew like this.
  4. Blue_Mew
    OP

Blue_Mew GBAtemp Addict

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Yeah don't care too much for Ray Tracing either.

5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    If you can, try to reduce the number of outlets you’re getting your parts from, to save the p&p.

Edit: also, in my opinion, you’re paying far too much for your keyboard. RGB is a gimmick that you’ll likely only get tired of after a couple weeks.

Last edited by Originality, Sep 22, 2018
  6. Blue_Mew
    OP

Blue_Mew GBAtemp Addict

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I don't plan on getting them from so many different outlets anyways, would be a hastle to order too. I just let pcpartpicker default those so I could get a rough price.

As for the keyboard, I'll get it anyways it doesn't cost too much even if I only care about it for a couple weeks.

7. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I would consider getting a 1070 if you're only going with a 1080p monitor. In fact, I would strongly suggest anyone wanting a 10XX card to get it USED to stop Nvidia getting away with their little scam of overpricing the 20XX to keep 10XX prices anchored higher than they should be.

felix.200 and Blue_Mew like this.
  8. mickthestud

mickthestud GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2007
    Is it wise to buy a card used these things can take a hammering you just don’t know

9. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    The funny thing is, I've yet to have any issues with a used card purchase BUT I've had to RMA two new cards. It almost seems like less of a gamble to buy a known working card. Of course, there are caveats and you need to be vigilant about who you buy from.

10. Blue_Mew
    OP

Blue_Mew GBAtemp Addict

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
  11. Seriel

Seriel Watching the days pass by

GBAtemp Patron
    Seriel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales, UK
    Looks solid, though if youre downsizing I wonder whether you'd need a whole 1TB SSD, as opposed to say, a smaller one and a large HDD for storage.

12. Blue_Mew
    OP

Blue_Mew GBAtemp Addict

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Yeah I suppose it would make a lot more sense to have the OS on the SSD and games on the HDD.

13. Seriel

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales, UK
    Mhm, you could quite easily grab a 256gb SSD and a 1 or even 2 TB mechanical hard drive and save a ton while having more GB to play with (Albeit at a lower speed, but games dont usually care that much, its your OS you'd need to worry about.)

14. Blue_Mew
    OP

Blue_Mew GBAtemp Addict

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I thought with HDDs games themselves don't run slower, only starting them up is.

15. Seriel

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales, UK
    You would be right, it's only start-up times of anything that is affected. It's just that with games its a minimal difference in startup time (I tried Guild Wars 2 on both SSD and HDD, didnt really notice anything) as opposed to your OS where it's incredibly noticable and applications launching is a nightmare compared to SSD where you're up and running in no time.

Blue_Mew likes this.