Password

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Tanmay, Jul 10, 2009.

Jul 10, 2009

Password by Tanmay at 4:45 AM (798 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Tanmay
    OP

Banned Tanmay Banned

United States
    Hi! So my sister isn't very computer smart and asked me to find out the password our parents set for her computer. So does anyone know how to get into the windows user files? She has Windows XP Media Center Edition. Please reply [​IMG]

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    It might be possible to log into the administrator account if a password hasn't been set for it (which is a very common mistake).

# Restart the computer.
    # Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE two times on the login screen, and then type the name of the administrator user account. Usually this would simply be Administrator
    # Leave the password section blank and press enter. If it fails to login then a password has been set for it.

There are ways to reset the password on xp, just not entirely sure about the steps involved....

3. Tanmay
    OP

Banned Tanmay Banned

United States
    There is an admin pass. She doesn't wanna reset it; she wants to find it [​IMG]

4. sylux92

Member sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think ophcrack should give you the password.

5. Tanmay
    OP

Banned Tanmay Banned

United States
    It gives the pass? I thought it just loads linux :wtf:

6. sylux92

Member sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nope. Just google it.

7. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    well to remove a pass in XP do this:
    run dialog > control userpasswords2
    click account name
    remove password
    done!

8. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

Why does this statement ring alarm bells in my head!?

find out the password parents set for HER computer?! ....why would they password protect HER computer!?

a) you did not give a reason why they did it !? and they MAY HAVE a GOOD reason to do this!

and

b) It sounds like to me you just want the password so you can use it! is that why?

c) For what little you have told us for all we know it could be a stolen computer/laptop and you just want in as its still password protected!

Call me a skeptic or cynical here but this happens a lot out there in the real world many people have asked me to do this with machines they have bought knocked off and I refuse ..how would anyone feel if they had their machine stolen and all their information with it!

Same reason I will refuse to unlock someones mobile phone when they forgot their pin I advise them to call their provider to get their PUK key (Phone unlock key) they will give them an override code over the phone if it belongs to them!

Now Don't get me wrong here this could be genuine! ...I just air these things/advice with caution with lack of evidence in the request and on the side of the parent HAS to of had a GOOD reason to password protect it in the first place!

/RANT OFF!

9. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    he asked how to do something, not for a lecture on ethics. It doesn't matter why he wants to do it, either answer or don't.

10. Fatboy12345236

Member Fatboy12345236 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    So... Is this how it works ur sis has 2 acounts her perents and hers she has less rights so u wanta crack.... confirm to me do u at least hav pass to acces internet on sis computer?

Posts merged

So... Is this how it works ur sis has 2 acounts her perents and hers she has less rights so u wanta crack.... confirm to me do u at least hav pass to acces internet on sis computer?

11. UnFallen

Member UnFallen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Weirdo Tanmay never posted back lawl stolen cpu

12. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    You missed the obvious (and 100% true) case d; there is no "sister" [​IMG]

13. iamjust

Banned iamjust Banned

United States
    Ignoring the possibility that you're a complete liar, there a few ways to do this:

1. ophcrack
    2. Backtrack + online cracker
    3. System file switch to gain system privileges
    4. hire a professional
    5. ask your parents nicely

I'm not elaborating for a reason. If you have a legit reason to know the password, you will be able to find out. I also encourage no one else to elaborate...