.part Files. Grand Theft Auto

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by UtadaRumiko, Mar 31, 2012.

Mar 31, 2012
  1. UtadaRumiko
    OP

Newcomer UtadaRumiko Member

United States
    Ok. So i'm a little stuck. I recently downloaded GTA Liberty City Stories for the PSP through a torrent. Instead of a single ISO file it came out as 24 different part files (a-gtalcs.001, a-gtalcs.002, a-gtalcs.003, etc...) and 1 sfv file.

I figured all I had to do was join them so I used HJSplit. It combined the files and made it a single "file" file. I knew this wouldn't work on my PSP just yet so I right-clicked on that file --> Power ISO --> add to image file and it converted it to an ISO file. Then I dragged it on to my PSP once it was completed.

However, the file wasn't visible in my gaming library. I knew I had to have done it wrong. Is it because the HJSplit combined the sfv file along with the 24 part files? Or something else?

2. ishdeepsingh

Member ishdeepsingh GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Edit:
    Nvm that doesnt work

3. UtadaRumiko
    OP

United States
    I am very familiar with Winrar already. These aren't .rar files and therefore there is no "extract here" option.

4. ishdeepsingh

United Kingdom
    oh, sorry forgot thats only for rar parts
    :P
    So HJ Join doesnt work?

5. UtadaRumiko
    OP

United States
    It combined the .part files, but it didn't make an iso. It just made a "file" file. That's it.

6. ishdeepsingh

United Kingdom
    hmm, thats not right
    haha probably not going to work but try changine the 'file' extention to ".iso"
    Who knows, you might get lucky

7. UtadaRumiko
    This message by UtadaRumiko has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 9, 2016.
    Mar 31, 2012
  8. ishdeepsingh

United Kingdom
    Well that will break the Temps Rules (Piracy)..
    Before you go try to download another, try this:

(Got off another website)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Also Got this off of another website:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

So I guess you gotta open winrar and go File > Open Archive, browse for the .001 file and try opening it like that.

9. UtadaRumiko
    OP

United States
    Ahh, sorry. I forgot that was against the rules. Nevermind then.

And yeah, these are definitely not .rar files. Trust me.

10. ishdeepsingh

United Kingdom
    Well just try opening it in winrar instead of right clicking the file, because I download part files all the time and winrar always works for me

11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If you're saying they're not RAR files based on the extension, extensions don't determine shit.

2 people like this.
  12. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
  13. UtadaRumiko
    OP

United States
    I'm sorry. I just don't know how else to explain it. They're PART files that end in .001, .002, all the way up to .024. When I look at the "file type" it says "Type: 001 File" That's if i'm looking at the first file. For, let's say, number .024 is says "Type: 024" file and so on. I combined them using the program I was talking about and ended up with a "File" type file with no more numbers at the end of the name. It says Type: File. That's it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Also, they were never in .rar format to begin with. They came just like I told you. No extraction with Winrar was needed. The right-click context menu won't work, since it isn't an extension registered with WinRAR

14. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Those would be rar files. Right click the .001 -> Open with -> Choose Default Program -> Winrar -> Open -> Extract.

15. Rydian

United States
    IGNORE THE EXTENSION. Extensions don't mean shit.

The only thing they're even used for is for windows to know which program to open a file with by default when you double-click on it.

An extension does NOT determine the format, and it's entirely possible to have things in one format be named after another, either as a mistake or on purpose (to hide what type a file is from normal users that don't know any better, for example).

It's a split RAR. Open it with WinRAR or 7-zip.

Open it WITH WINRAR OR 7-ZIP. DO NOT just double-click it. Actually open WinRAR or 7-zip, and open the first file from there, with File - Open. Then extract and it'll piece it together.

1 person likes this.
  16. UtadaRumiko
    OP

United States
    Ahh. I'm sorry, when I said PART, I meant that the files came in parts. They're not actually "Type: Part File." Believe me, it isn't a compressed file. It has already been extracted. I can't extract it any more than it has been already.

17. Rydian

United States
    Believe me, you don't know what you're talking about. :P

"I opened a box, there's no way in hell that one box could have another box inside it."

*facepalm*

EDIT: To clarify, the files are split to be easily downloaded through "underground" means. The site you got the download from took the split+compressed files and just stuck them inside another archive, not for more compression, but simply so you'd only have to download one file. After you extract what the site gave you, then you still have to piece it back together.

It's like getting furniture from the mail in a box. After you open the box and get all the parts, you still have to put the thing together.

1 person likes this.
  18. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    If winrar or 7zip don't open it then maybe either you're missing some of the files (if it's rar there's usually one ending with .rar in addition to all the .00x ones, but there can be exceptions) or maybe it's a fake download. That does happen. Some a-holes get their "lulz" making you waste time downloading garbage.

19. Rydian

United States
    From what I've seen lately people tend to not bother to rename the .000 into .rar, and will just leave all the extensions as they're given because the people who pirate this stuff know how to use them anyways, or already set their associations for .000 and .001 so windows actually knows how to open it by default.

20. UtadaRumiko
    OP

United States
    I'm very sorry guys. I did you what you said Rydian and just opened the first file (a-gtalcs.001) in Winrar. (I had to Right click ---> Open with... --> Choose program --> Let windows manage file --> Recommended programs ---> Winrar.) Extracted it from the Winrar archive or whatever and then it combined them to the ISO like you said.

To be honest, I was having a hard time understanding how Winrar had anything to do with non-rar files xD Guess I was playing by the book and overthinking it too much. I feel pretty stupid now that I realize how simple it actually was. Really sorry for the trouble and frustration I may have caused you.

21. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    I never had a problem with the file parts before since all you need to do is extract the 1st part with all the other parts in the same location and you get everything easily, never knew there were so much problems with it.