Pandora

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by XxRoxaSoraxX, Nov 22, 2008.

Nov 22, 2008

Pandora by XxRoxaSoraxX at 1:04 AM (1,829 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. XxRoxaSoraxX
    OP

Member XxRoxaSoraxX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When is the Pandora (open source gaming handheld ) coming out

www.openpandora.org

2. Licardo7

Member Licardo7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    it says it right on the web page. September 30th but I don't know if it's 08 or 09 but it says they sold out so they must have released it.

3. chuckstudios

Member chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

United States
    Preorders are sold out. The Pandora release date was the end of November, but it's becoming more likely that it will come out mid to late December.
    I just got a 16GB SDHC for mine [​IMG]

4. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    It all depends on when you pre-ordered yours. Those who were early will get them somewhere in the beginning of December and those who were among the last could receive them in the end of December.

I managed to order mine less than 10 minutes after the pre-orders started so I think I should be among the first to get one [​IMG]

5. tyuno123

Member tyuno123 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    whats so good about the pandora ?

6. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    it's supposed to be a homebrewer's dream.

7. Licardo7

Member Licardo7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hey, they say the pandora is strong enough to play Doom 3. Is it true? If so, then I'm geting it for a portalbe Half Life lol

8. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    meaning all the games on it will be crap.

and btw just cuz it can run doom3 doesn't mean anyone will ever make the game for it.

the pandora console is like linux. great in theory. but not so good when you actually try to use it for your everyday stuff.

9. chuckstudios

United States
    Right, let's take this one at a time...

Funny, because I used Linux for everyday stuff (read: my only operating system) and the only problem I had was not being able to use my Zune. And when Doom 3 becomes open source (sometime in the nearish future), people will port it to Linux, guaranteed. This will also mean it will be available for Pandora.

10. XxRoxaSoraxX
    OP

Member XxRoxaSoraxX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Think it will be on eBay, or on other stores on the intarnetz.

BTW curse you eBay for banning the R4 and all other flashcarts

11. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I can't see this Pandora "handheld" being any kind of serious threat to DS..I mean, we already know it's not all about the power that handheld has, but games that are made for it (just remember PSP vs. DS, not to mention if there wasn't any PlayStations before, and that Sony just released handheld out of nothing, it wouldn't sell 3/4 of what they are selling now/already sold)

System itself seems really powerful, I even like the way it looks, but will homebrew developers code all those emulators that Pandora has ability to run?!

12. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    What I'm always about with this:

A eeePC isn't that much bigger, but more powerful + x86 processor architecture, so you have a full PC and the 701 is cheaper with a 10400 mAh battery (so around 5-6 hours of N64 emulation)

ok it's bigger and heavier and has shorter battery life and misses the gaming controls and the touchscreen

After all the Pandora is too big to be the gameboy for your pocket, so it will may be in the portability group of the eeepc...I'm curious how this one will sell

Please don't understand me wrong, the Pandora is great for a homemade device, but I'm still wondering if this one will sell well

13. chuckstudios

United States
    The Pandora is already sold out of the first batch, that sounds like pretty good sales to me. It is about the same size as the original DS, so it will fit in your pocket. The processor is actually roughly equivalent with the 701 - the 701 has a 900MHz Celeron underclocked to 630MHz, Pandora has a 600MHz ARM (a more efficient architecture) and can be overclocked up to 900MHz.

Edit: Derp grammar

14. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    The eeePC is supposta be coming out with a touch screen model. Really I am surprised that it is not out yet?

15. kashin

Member kashin GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Oh wow, i remember hearing about this quite a while ago and i see it has been released now, i'd forgotten all about it. I really love the looks! For some reason it's all quite nostalgic, the black kind of reminds me of the good ol' ataris xP

16. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Uhh what? I'm wondering where you got this? I don't know what type of ARM they are using but in general ARMs are relatively basic!

Plus the 701 can be "over"clocked back to 900mhz easily. But still, the 701 is 300$. The 900a, which costs 280$, has 1GB of RAM, a 1.6ghz diamondville atom thats overclockable(a bit faster than the 900mhz celeron), and about 5 hours of battery life with wifi off, 4 with wifi on. I'd personally use that model instead of comparing it to the old old 701.

And the original DS didn't fit in my pocket either so your comparison to the original DS is not a good image.

Whatever - the Pandora is not for me. I don't like the design to begin with and if I want to use mobile internet I have my ipod touch or soon I'll have a g1 android(which is open source too), and if I wanted mobile games I'd take my micro or ds.

17. chuckstudios

United States
    Cortex A8 (the processor in the Pandora) vs Atom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnsaDc6criM
    And yes, while the eee is better for general tasks such as web browsing, it's definitely not geared towards gaming. Also you need bigger pockets [​IMG]

18. FaRReR

Member FaRReR GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Wow, looks neat.