Pandora preorder date set to 30th September

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Minox, Sep 17, 2008.

Sep 17, 2008
  1. Minox
    OP

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    [​IMG] Pandora preorder date set to 30th September
    [​IMG]
    The preorder date for the Pandora is finally set to 30th September and they will ship in the end of November. There's only 3000 in the first batch though so you'll have to be quick if you don't want to wait until 2009 to get one.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

[​IMG]Source

2. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I was thinking about getting a PSP, then saw this, but then I went and looked at all of the newer netbooks, e.g. Asus eee PC 1000H, Acer Aspire One AO150, etc.

The netbooks are looking like a better deal since many of them cost the same, are more powerful (CPU/GPU) and can play some windows games. Unfortunately most of them ATM use the Intel Atom N270 and Intel integrated GPUs i.e. shit, although the Paulsbo is ok as it's based on PowerVR tech or IOW someplace that actually knows how to make non-entirely shit GPUs (forget what model # Intel uses for these NM500? maybe?).

So, I'm going to sit back and wait and see about Intel Atom N330 (dual core) based netbooks and see what happens with Turion X2 smaller notebooks, as the Turions will ALWAYS use some sort of halfway decent GPU as ATM AMD doesn't have an integrated chipset, and the newer Turions are pretty decent performers. Also want to see if anyone comes out with a netbook based on the Via Nano as that also whomps the Atom N270s, and has a better integrated GPU (Chrome 9 based usually).

3. crescentsaber

Newcomer crescentsaber Advanced Member

Australia
    That... thing reminds me of my Black DS Lite - am I the only one ?

4. SkyintheSea

Member SkyintheSea GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would get one, but damn that thing is expensive!
    It also looks ugly, but imagine the homebrew capabilities of that thing. =O
    Probably be running Windows/Mac/Linux and a PDA device. Sweet!

5. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I want one so bad [​IMG] but $330? You can get a Notebook for that...

P.S. Where on the site can you order it? nvm I reread it and saw that its when the pre-order starts not ends

Same here...

6. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    So... I was thinking of getting one of those really small laptops... U know, with no disc input and stuff, around 250€... This is even smaller... but how useful is it? Can't really make it out of the specs... would anybody please tell what this is actually capable of?
    Thanks.

7. playallday

Canada
    Here you go:

* ARM® Cortex™-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux = Most new PC's are about 3072Mhz running Linux and not windows; so for the CPU its slow!
    * 430-MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core = Don't know [​IMG]
    * PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware = Just the software for video outputting. Don't know what I'm saying.
    * 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD = Great touchscreen! You computer screen if its a good one and 17" it can see like 1200 x1440 (or something like that)
    * Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth & High Speed USB 2.0 Host = Has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and USB
    * Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output = Can out put to your big TV [​IMG]
    * Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls = I hope you know this [​IMG]
    * 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad = This too [​IMG]
    * Around 10+ Hours battery life = Nice, nice and nice. If you don't know what this is you need to be banned! [​IMG]

8. Dwight

Member Dwight Gawb. Gawb Bluth.

United States
    I would buy if it was $200.
    It can emulate N64 and PSX, yes?

9. playallday

Canada
    We don't know yet, but yes most likely.

10. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    Pandora or "How to make every geek buying this piece of *censored* only because it's open source" [​IMG]

11. Maat

Newcomer Maat Member

Brazil
    I have been folowing the pandora a lot , so let me say about it

The size is been sad to be 140x83x27mm thats is a less than the fat ds and bigger than the ds lite.
    The screen is the same size of the PSP.

About the graphics:
    Something to learn about computers, you can't compare diferent architeture processors only by the clock, because the clock only says the lesser time that it uses for doing something, besides we are talking about a processor used by handlehelds and they cannot be 3072 MHZ because you would need like an car battery attached to use it, besides in this clock he would need a fan. Just for real comparison the PSP has 333MHZ but is MIPS, so we can't say the best is, but the iphone uses an ARM1176 600MHZ but clocked at 412 MHZ. So this processor is one of the fastest processor for handleheld's comparison.
    About laptop comparisson, well only good side is that pandora doesn't run operating system for running ever application, you CAN run linux on it but it doesn't need, for example, for you to run your emulators, so it uses 100% of the hardware, but you can too make applications that use the pandora os.

About PS1...well i have a video to show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7sx8CrVLW8

About n64....no, there's no video about it and they can confirm it how well is gonna run, it's more like they need someone to make a good code to make a really good emulator.

They say too that you can overclock the processor to 900 MHZ without harm.

12. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    N64 should work easily on it. It's a lot more powerful than a PSP, and Daedalus on PSP wasn't that bad of a 64 emulator. Yeah, compatibility was REALLY low, but Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 were already playable.

The Pandora is roughly 2x the PSP (I want to clarify that I haven't done a real compare to define this, I'm too tired right now [​IMG], just an hunch). So it should handle it well enough [​IMG]

I'm really interested in the Pandora for Amiga emulation. I've already seen a video of it, and it emulates an Amiga 500 at full speed. That's awesome enough.

If the keyboard is nice enough, and a full Linux distro gets ported to it... well, then it will get REALLY interesting.

13. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    dammit i want one!

i have 220 bucks saved up from bday money, but dammit thats not enough!

14. Tragoedia181

Banned Tragoedia181 B*tch I Look Like Goku!!

United States
    anyone planning on buying this?

15. Musturd

Newcomer Musturd Advanced Member

United States
    I'm not sure...
    I'm hoping for N64 emulation. If someone makes this happen, I will buy.

16. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    The only way I would buy this is

1: N64 emulation (if possible) has save-able button mapping for each game
    2: PSX emulation is possible
    3: If Video quality is good.

17. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Shame that it won't exactly have a perfect N64 emulator running on it soon unless there was a group of developers working on it while the thing was being developed.

18. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I want to love this thing.. but I just dont =/

19. littlestevie

Member littlestevie GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i have followed this project right thru and i want one, but i spent all my money getting an iphone 2months ago [​IMG] shit

20. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    As I mentioned in the 2nd post, I had been until I saw the price and looked around at what else was currently available and would be available shortly in a similar or slightly higher price range.

That said just about everything else in the price range is a better deal, specifically various current netbooks all capable of PSX emulation and other console emulation, only lacking builtin game controllers, however since they are basically cheap PCs they come with all the standard ports, USB/VGA/multi-card readers/etc. thereby allowing pretty much any controller you'd like or just to make do with trackpad + keyboard. Most of the netbooks come base with 512M and SSD drives, but I'd go for the 1GB+ with some type of SATA hd as they're usually cheaper and often ship with a larger battery by default, (added hd power draw) but still run longer and perform better overall than the SSD based devices. (Most of the SSD ones apparently only use a "fast" drive for a minimal install portion typically 4GB or 8GB, and the remainder of the spec SSD drive size 8-32GB is usually on a slower(cheaper) SSD. Also I'm not sold on SSD lifetime yet either as these are all FLASH RAM based which has a limited number of write cycles before failure.)

All of the netbooks already come with WiFi, and some of the upcoming models will be able to support 3G and GPS. It looks like some will be supporting models that do both OOB, as an early preview of one has empty slots for both.

Additionally they can run linux/XP/OSX -> tons of flexibility and the ability to run some fairly recent windows games as long as they don't require TONS of CPU/GPU horspower as most of the netbooks currently available are deficient in this regard wrt reent top end games. However, going a tiny bit higher, you could pick up a Turion X2 system with a fairly decent nVidia/Radeon integrated GPU which while not the greatest would allow you more flexibility in actually being able to run some more recent games, albeit not at the highest setting/resolution. (But what do you want for CHEAP?) Most of the Turion systems also happen to have DVD multi-R/W drives which are lacking on the true netbooks, although all of this comes at the expense of battery runtime, as in you're back to looking at typical notebook runtime 2.5-3h, but some of the netbooks are in that range as well especially the ones that sport only 3cell batteries. The Turion systems that I've looked at usually come with at least 3GB of DDR2 RAM, 2GHz Turion X2 nVidia 9100 M to 1.3GHz Turion x2/2GB RAM/er I forget the GPU might've been either the Radeon x1250 (~Intel x3100 level not too good) or the 3200 (better), but this one also had a twistable touch enabled LCD allowing it to be used in a tablet configuration(not available in the US ATM).

There were also some via C7-M based machines, but I'd hold out for nano based personally if you must go VIA for some reason.

Like I said above, I'm going to hold out and see what happen when Intel Atom N330, and hopefully, VIA Nano based systems start appearing along with hopefully more Paulsbo(PowerVR based not Intel crap) GPU chipsets for the Atom, although I'm almost thinking about just going Turion x2 for about double the cost(maybe a little less if I can find some sales) with a MUCH better GPU but in a 14-15" form factor (yech, but they'll all come with DVD R/W drives as well, which none of the true netbooks do, some of them almost have better specs than my current desktop already although their GPUs are pretty weak and not dedicated.)

The price is just wrong on the Pandora, but there's not much that they can do about it ATM as they are obviously using a custom board and using CPUs that are not very common, and I don't think that they'll ever sell enough of them to really brind the price down sufficiently to compete with the netbooks which can already do more than the Pandora.

An iPod touch was in the running for a bit too, but again, netbooks just do more, and I really don't like not having an easily user-replaceable battery on ANY device. That's just a complete showstopper for me.

[EDIT]
    Did some further investigation and turned up these guys:
    http://www.avadirect.com/

They have some nice barebones 2.26GHz Centrino 2 Duo 2 (WTF?!) notebooks with nVidia Geforece 9600M GTs 512MB.

The 9600M GT gets some pretty decent benchmarks -> current gaming. Drawback is that these are a 15.4" (HUGE!) form factor and the $915 barebones only comes with 1GB RAM & 80GB hdd, no WiFi, etc. But all of these can be added, WiFi card is ~$30 extra, and 320GB hdds can be added for ~$45, 160 for ~ $15 (extra).

Comes with no OS, but you can buy/have installed XP/Vista/linux distro or just do it yourself.

Also note, these things look like ugly puppies too, but the price seems to be great for the components.
    [/EDIT]