Palib-Dev.com closed down

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Foxi4, Nov 26, 2011.

Nov 26, 2011

Palib-Dev.com closed down by Foxi4 at 1:46 AM (2,040 Views / 1 Likes) 7 replies

1. Foxi4
    OP

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    [​IMG]

One of the first user-friendly libraries, and definatelly the most extensive one - PALib seems to have met its final destination. The site (http://www.palib-dev.com) appears to be closed down and there is no disclaimer as to whether it is closed indefinatelly or not. Judging from the lack of a maintainer and simply the fact that the library became bloated and outdated, it is unlikely that we will ever see the site again. This obviously marks an end of an era in DS Homebrew development and I suppose the occasion warrants a minute of silence.

Rest in peace, PALib - you shall be remembered.

1 person likes this.
  2. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Where's the dislike this button?

3. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    That's a good thing it closed imo. This website explains why well:
    http://devkitpro.org/wiki/PAlib

@Terminator - I'll gladly donate if one gets added. I've been wanting one for a while now.

4. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    PALib was not made for aspiring programmers, PALib was made for people who wanted to "try out" making a game, it was simplified to the very core and I assure you that we wouldn't have nearly as many homebrews without it. You can nag and nag about how it's nasty, but at the peak of its popularity it was either this or the rather complex Libnds - there was simply no alternative.

I believe it was a huge "enterprise", a massive, collective effort and it deserves respect. It was an attempt at bringing homebrew programming to the masses and it was successful.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    sad face wheres the emergency Darth Vader NOOOO! button

6. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    2 people like this.
  7. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    I thought it was worth to expand on this, since part of it is a simply not true.

Entering console mode does not equal Innitializing PALib and using PA_OutputText, althought the final effect may look like it. PALib Innit innitialized numerous functions, including MODE's, PA_OutputText text is outputted onto a Tiled BG, not as standard Console text and finally, PA_OutputText allows you to print wherever you want, contrary to standard printf in a console.

It's entirely true that for today's standards, PALib is way too buffy, cluttered, bloated and self-contradicting at some points to use, but there was a time when it was actually a really good wrapper for LibNDS. At the time, it was LibNDS that made barely any sense to anyone, it was badly documented and you really needed certain background knowledge to use it. The ties have shifted, but nevertheless, PALib was king back in the day. We should tip our hats at the effort of numerous programmers that was non-profit, it's only purpose is to allow us, everyday gamers to make games - maybe not the games of our dreams, but "something", see how it feels like, and perhaps end up with something really enjoyable that we'll want to share with the Scene.

PALib days were lively, and despite the fact that the library is less-than-recommended and frowned upon, you still get to see the odd project here and there, which only shows what kind of an impact it had on the scene. It's not the best, I admit, but it's always sad when a part of the scene fades away, replaced by a dodgy search engine.

8. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    this is the best way to tell how i feel now