painted myself into a corner

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by maliusmaximus, Feb 20, 2011.

Feb 20, 2011
  1. maliusmaximus
    OP

Newcomer maliusmaximus Newbie

Vietnam
    Hi all,
    My Wii was working reasonably well, on menu 4.1u, but my game backups were sometimes freezing, and I couldn't access the store (as I was v18).
    I ran "Pimp My Wii" as it came highly recommended and now there is all sorts of badness. It crashed halfway through and now it still detects problems, being unable to install EULA v3, possibly other stuff.
    It updated many IOS files, including Wiishop, so now I can access it, even though Wii system menu is still only 4.1u.
    However my game backups barely work anymore, either through USB using WBFS or DVD drive (using neogammer or softchip loader). Additionally, HBC is upside down and mirrored, meaning that Pimp My Wii has messed with the IOS files that HBC uses (HBC does this if another app does something it doesn't like)
    Running the official Wii system update fails (error code 32017) so the broad brush aproach won't work.
    Soooo, where should I go from here? I want to reinstall homebrew channel so its not upside down. The files are still on the SD card, but using the bannerbomb method doesn't seem to work anymore. Perhaps I need to re-download bootmii onto the Sd card?
    Also, how do I roll back all the IOS versions? I'm not sure exactly what has happened, but certainly the problem started with Pimp My Wii, and I just want to go back to how things were. The issue is likely with some IOS being updated, and some of the older ones that had exploits being wiped over. The games certainly don't seem to like whatever Pimp My Wii has done.
    I'd like to undo all the changes.
    Or alternatively I'd be happy to forge forward, and install the latest everything, wiping over previous badness, and then I can install HBC and key IOS files from version 4.3. Would just need to know how to update without using the default update button from the wii menu, and then how to downgrade the key components
    I cant find any instructions on the best course of action for the position I'm in.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Follow this guide or use ModMii to reinstall your system menu and IOS files.

3. maliusmaximus
    OP

Vietnam
    Thanks. Downloading and installing Modmii now. So far it looks juicy and delicious. Very well made program.

4. maliusmaximus
    OP

Vietnam
    It didn't work. Downloaded everything, as per the wizard and it didn't get past stage 1 when I put the SD card in the Wii. The 1st step was to install Bannerbomb. This didn't work on the version that modmii used (menu 4.1). It suggested I try the other version, so I ran it with bannerbomb for 4.3 I get a message #004: The system files are corrupted.
    This is basically just the same as when I was trying to do it myself. Can't seem to run the bannerbomb exploit
    What do I do from here? Please bare in mind that the wii is partially updated and somewhere between menu 4.1 and 4.3

Thanks.

5. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  6. maliusmaximus
    OP

Vietnam
    I gotta hand it to the modmii guys, they make their stuff with idiots in mind [​IMG]
    There was actually a line in the *self personalizing installation notes (how cool is that?) * to try the Hackmii notes rather than the wizard if no bannerbomb install worked.
    Did it the second way. The modmii self generating notes guided me through the entire processed.
    Now have the wii pimped, preened and playable.
    Thanks for referring me on to that app. It makes all the 1-2 year old posts about hacking your wii obsolete.