Hacking RELEASE Painless Linux - it's Linux, but painless (Windows, Mac OS, Linux & Android)

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI - this does not work on Mac OS X, as shofel2.py is written with a linux dependency (/dev/self/fd) that doesn't exist on mac os x.

Switching this in the code to /dev/fd (more or less equivalent) does allow the Switch in RCM to be detected, and it looks like to loads the first pat, but craps out due to a bad file descriptor somewhere that I have not taken the time to hunt down.

I don't think this was actually *tested* on Mac OS X :)

Reactions: _______ and senas8

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hm. switch wont actually boot into linux anymore. after the normal boot up stuff, it just stays all black.

Odd, this is the same behavior I was getting when building Linux a while back. Had to re-format, load Linux image, and after first boot, payload would say it went through but display did nothing. Would have to repeat above steps again. Thought it was just me.

Last edited by Shadow LAG,

Sonicbrawler

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd, this is the same behavior I was getting when building Linux a while back. Had to re-format, load Linux image, and after first boot, payload would say it went through but display did nothing. Would have to repeat above steps again. Thought it was just me.
i'll reformat, see if that fixes things. it was working fine for me a few hours ago, but now it isn't.

EDIT: no luck. not sure whats going on. text moves too fast on screen but i do see a lot of "Failed" text popping up.

Last edited by Sonicbrawler,

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'll reformat, see if that fixes things. it was working fine for me a few hours ago, but now it isn't.

EDIT: no luck. not sure whats going on. text moves too fast on screen but i do see a lot of "Failed" text popping up.

Ah so atleast you are seeing the kernel screen, I thought you were getting black screen totally even though the payload deploys.

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
FYI - this does not work on Mac OS X, as shofel2.py is written with a linux dependency (/dev/self/fd) that doesn't exist on mac os x.

Switching this in the code to /dev/fd (more or less equivalent) does allow the Switch in RCM to be detected, and it looks like to loads the first pat, but craps out due to a bad file descriptor somewhere that I have not taken the time to hunt down.

Can confirm that it does not work on macOS, same error as you.

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm more feared by the LCD damage thing.
Isn't that only a thing that happened to f0f once while they were working things out on how to get everything running?
Or are there more user reports of damaged displays with Switch Linux?

One Reddit user reported artifacts on their screen after using Linux for a long time. It's temporary though, but we never know.

Yeah, if the img could be uploaded to google drive or dropbox, that would be nice.

@kevandkkim uploaded it to Google Drive, the link is in the README

Running Linux on your Switch is already voiding the warranty.

Does it really ?

It's been reported that on Mac OS everything worked but usb_imx. I removed usb_imx so I thought it would work. Anyway, we may have a fusée gelée payload to boot Linux soon-ish, so Mac users will just have to use that instead.

can you provide rootfs tar to build via linux? I do not want to lose the partition for HBL so I'd rather do it myself.

You can download the IMG file and mount it to a loopback device

Reactions: lordelan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn