P4 Prescott 3.2

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by spas, Jun 10, 2010.

Jun 10, 2010

P4 Prescott 3.2 by spas at 9:59 AM (1,109 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. spas
    OP

Member spas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I have recently brought a Pentium 4 Prescott 2M Core 2MB L2 3.20 Ghz processor from ebay. I know that P4 Prescotts are pretty much the hottest CPUs out there but I was thinking if I could get away with using a 45nm Intel Core 2 Quad heat sink in order to cool it. They are both socket 775 so the part fitting is not a problem, just wondering if the CPU heat sink and fan are up to the job of chilling the P4?

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you can try, look at the size it should cool it (not so effectively mind you) but it should at least keep it from causing the computer to shut down for thermal issued

3. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
  4. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    should be fine at stock speeds, if you are a bit worried theres a few ways of lowering temps with that stock cooler. you can try lapping (wouldn't recommend this), invovles sanding the top of the processor down so that there is less room between the actual chip and cooler. plenty of youtube vids on how to do it. otherwise you can try getting some thermal paste and applying it properly. artic silver 5 is always reliable.

5. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    I'd be a bit concerned about using the 45nm heat sink. Intel made the 45nm cpu heatsinks considerably smaller (less heat output), compared to other Core 2 cpus such as the 65nm range.

The Prescott is 90nm, which would get hot as hell on such a small heatsink. I'd personally just get some after market heatsink. Some of them aren't that expensive and do a better job than a stock cooler.

6. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    whoah whoah whoah
    i have lapped before on two systems. you do not sand the processor. no. you sand the heatsink surface, to as smooth and mirrorlike a finish as possible, so you can use as little thermal compound as possible and increase direct heatflow from the processor to the heatsink. though this will increase the heat conduct to the heatsink, i doubt it would have any noticeable effect on a typical aluminum stock heatsink. It is definitely not worth the effort unless it's a good, solid copper heatsink. it's not really a solution to getting more mileage out of an ordinary one for a first timer.
    now, i am hardly familiar with intel but i did figure something to the effect of what Edhel said was possible. i was a bit more familiar with intel when Prescotts came out than i am now. you can't just pick up any LGA775 heatsink though. i can't sleep, so i was browsing newegg just to see what price range he'd be looking at if buying new and there aren't a lot of P4 rated heatsinks or heatsink/fan combos on the retail market anymore. wound up looking on eBay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330410737722 is the cheapest one i'd recommend for spas

edit: trying to make a little more sense. sleep deprived. argh.

7. spas
    OP

Member spas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Wow, so much info thanks a lot everyone and cheers for the link exangel! [​IMG]

8. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    you can do both, it not limited to one. better results are achieved on lapping the processor. the only problem with lapping the processor is that if it is still under warranty, it gets voided the moment the processor makes contact.

[​IMG]
    you can see heatsink only drops 1 or 2 degrees after lapping, while lapping the cpu gives around 5-6 degree's.

9. spas
    OP

Member spas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Wow it looks so shiny after lapping too!