Overwatch 2 gets hit by two DDoS attacks on launch

Overwatch 2 has gotten off to a rocky start. While plenty of online-only games, especially a free-to-play one, suffer from long queues and server overload upon launch, this one has been particularly bad with the servers suffering two DDoS attacks during its launch period.

Overwatch 2 launched yesterday and users immediately had trouble getting into games. The subreddit is currently full of posts about the connection issues, including an active, pinned technical issues megathread. The problem got so bad that Blizzard President Mike Ybarra Tweeted out a message acknowledging the server issue and thanking fans for their excitement. Just a half hour later, he revealed the issues were (at least partially) due to a DDoS attack on the servers. Eight hours after, Overwatch 2 director Aaron Keller reassured fans the problem was being worked on, while revealing that a second DDoS attack was now overwhelming their servers.

Notably, Blizzard shut down servers for the original Overwatch a little over a day before the launch of Overwatch 2, which likely contributed to these issues as original players were forced to the new title. It also leaves them without any alternative while Blizzard irons out the issues with the new game's servers.

Randqalan

The Wheel of Time Turns
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More like they didn't consider how many new players there would be since it's a free game.
U mean pay to play and $100000000 to win. Since we all know only people who are braindead are willing to pay to complete a game.

You know not surprised real gamers are usually good at hacking. So probably real gamers wanted to teach them a lesson.🤣

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I didn't think people unironically played this, but here we are.
ActiBlizz will "forever" live on through their addicts, and that's kinda sad.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think the people soying out over Overwatch 2 care whatsoever about the sexual abuse at Blizzard or do you think that they're willing to ignore the exploitation and abuse of people as long as Blizzard dangles some keys in front of their faces?

Seriously, I cannot imagine being enough of a loser to play this game.

Reactions: KitChan

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think the people soying out over Overwatch 2 care whatsoever about the sexual abuse at Blizzard or do you think that they're willing to ignore the exploitation and abuse of people as long as Blizzard dangles some keys in front of their faces?

Guess my parents and my sis are losers then.... oh well at least i got rayman raving rabits on wii

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess my parents and my sis are losers then.... oh well at least i got rayman raving rabits on wii
I hold contempt for people who know that products like this are built on exploitation and harm and still just go "ehhhhh, game good though!!!"

Reactions: Tsukiru

George35000vr

hippity hoppity get off my property
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Guess i am a loser then :rofl2::toot: lolol

Reactions: Guacaholey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr