Overrated rpgs

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems any game that has become relatively popular is instantly considered "overrated".

What ever happened to just liking games because they're fun? This whole thread basically just seems like people trying to act cool by saying "LOOK I'M NOT A FANBOY". It's like the douchey emo kids at school who spend their time wearing their shitty clothing and smoking cigarettes to look cool. In the end you just look like a dumb ass.

liltorchic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mother 3? No jk, thats one of my favorite games of all time but I really thought that FF IV was horribly over-rated, I didnt understand the "touching" plot, the "deep" combat system, and the battles were a bore.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
liltorchic said:
Mother 3? No jk, thats one of my favorite games of all time but I really thought that FF IV was horribly over-rated, I didnt understand the "touching" plot, the "deep" combat system, and the battles were a bore.
More like primitive plot and shallow basic combat system. FF4's 3D in the DS version helped a little bit though.

I think FF6 and Crono Trigger were the pinnacle of 16-bit RPG's.

liltorchic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Njrg said:
liltorchic said:
More like primitive plot and shallow basic combat system. FF4's 3D in the DS version helped a little bit though.

Are you talking about Mother 3? When I said bad plot and combat system I meant FFIV.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Clanver said:
ew >_>, i found Terranigma on the Snes more enjoyable then CT . .
Ah you americans didnt get to play that one^^Emulators, dude.

liltorchic said:
Njrg said:
QUOTE(liltorchic @ Apr 27 2010, 02:57 AM) Mother 3? No jk, thats one of my favorite games of all time but I really thought that FF IV was horribly over-rated, I didnt understand the "touching" plot, the "deep" combat system, and the battles were a bore.

Are you talking about Mother 3? When I said bad plot and combat system I meant FFIV.
No, they were talking about FFIV.

Gwaith

Trophies
Website
www.die2nite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Guild McCommunist said:
It seems any game that has become relatively popular is instantly considered "overrated".

What ever happened to just liking games because they're fun? This whole thread basically just seems like people trying to act cool by saying "LOOK I'M NOT A FANBOY". It's like the douchey emo kids at school who spend their time wearing their shitty clothing and smoking cigarettes to look cool. In the end you just look like a dumb ass.

And it seems to me that your calling people in this thread non-conformists to look uberly cool with your distinct perception. (Else you wouldn't call them out twice, I guess).

BTT: I just can't enjoy any kind of roundbased /JRPGS whatever you call the I-hit-you-you-hit-me-and-then-we-start-all-over-again-turn-based RPGs. I grew tired of them some years ago and I'm not even sure at which point exactly and why.
So as you might guess from that statement I pretty much can't understand the Final Fantasy hype, although I was into FFVIII before I grew tired.

But anyways, I wouldn't go as far as to call them overrated just because, as you might already saw in this thread, your always offending a lot of fans with such strong statements
wink.gif

Hotzdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
India
frankly its all about personal choices.. if a person loves a certain game they will keep on hailing praises on praises about it. Which makes the others who don't happen to like THAT particular game call it overrated... Like in the case of OP FF,Pokemon & CT..

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shinintendo said:
Fel said:
Shinintendo said:
Everyone forgot Golden Sun. shame on you >.< j/k
-snip-
Sorry I made a mistake I forgot it's overrated thread! I meant it's a fu*n good game!
I wanted to point this game wasn't mentioned here, wonders.
ppl need to chill out dissing great games like this...
On behalf of Fel, I will accept your apology. It truley is a great game that has a dedicated fan base.

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
While I like some Final Fantasy games and the Pokemon games, I do think they are way overrated. And although I may be a little bias becasue I love these games; I think the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale etc...) are way too underrated. Baldur's Gate (PC), in my opinion is the best RPG yet. I've never become so exicited about another game before or since.

The game made me feel adventurous and the storyline was amazing...Even Baldur's Gate 2 fell short of this for me. I've played it through at least 6 or 7 times and I see another go at it in the future.

In the end, I think what turns me off of the FF and Pokemon games is the random, invisible encounters and the turn based fighting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte