Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
my cpu is: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7250
Specs: Intel  Core ™2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00 GHz

yeah i'm kinda disappointed with the low speed. many games i see have a recommended of 2.2ghz. so two questions:

1. is it possible?
2. is it a good idea (considering laptops tend to get hot)

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I thought about this too last week, i'd want to overclock my CPU just about 100-200Mhz higher (have a Intel Centrino duo 1.66Ghz T2050) because i use to watch movies/series in 720P and it's just at the edge of handling them flawless, but if there's alot of action or if the bitrate is a bit higher than usual (like the Band Of Brothers rip, Band.of.Brothers.2001.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264-ESiR, in this case due to the high quality sound..) it tend to do alot of framedrops.. so i'd just liked to push it a tiny bit higher..

But i realise that it's quite impossible, due to the heat issues and other problems.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CPU is not usually the limit in games (although several notable exceptions exist), the graphics card (and it is only now that I see decent graphics chips in laptops and even then not this side of silly money) is what usually causes the problems on the low end. External graphics cards do not really exist yet (although they are coming: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/06/amd_launches_xgp/ ) so you are out of luck really.

Second cause is hard drive: laptops are often still at 5400rpm while everyone else is at 7200 and beyond. 7200 is fairly mainstream nowadays though. A firewire drive (USB2.0 is an idea too) or even a CF card in place of the drive is an idea.

Back on topic as it were, the BIOS tends to control modern CPUs and laptops have some of the most locked down ones around (big vendors do it to stop people messing up the machine and laptops invariably coming from big vendors....)

Some possibilities: laptops feature low power modes where they run the CPU slower for power reasons. If you have a higher powered machine as you imply I am guessing the battery is barely enough to watch a film so such things do not matter.
What this is called varies from vendor to vendor and probably with temperature too, intel call it speedstep (for others reading desktop machines have it too and most guides will tell you to turn it off, rightly in my opinion).
There is a minor "spinup" time penalty so ridding yourself of speedstep is a worthwhile idea (games are notorious for needing resources in spurts).

Optimise your games, PC games makers aside from some people at valve consider specs to be near infinite and if it runs on their test kit (sure to be built with the best stuff around) it is good enough for the real world.
Tweakguides:
http://www.tweakguides.com/
widescreen gaming forum (also good as most laptops come with a wider screen nowadays):
http://www.tweakguides.com/

Same goes for your OS, I rarely see a laptop come without a huge amount of junk apps installed with it. Rid yourself of it and get a heavily optimised version of XP installed (see nlite).

On the subject of heat laptops tend to run at or above what I would consider the ideal (I have been called in to upgrade cooling on several occasions) so I am inclined to side with those who say it is not a wise idea (it is certainly not a wise idea to have it on your lap).

edit: @noONE try and find a copy of coreavc if you have not already. Also consider a linux livecd (linux mint was my choice here), the extra boost is often enough to get things sorted.

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well my graphics card is decent enough (nvidia geforce 9600gt). and when i went on can u run it, i checked out a few games, and my comp passed everythin except for the cpu speed. and i optimized vista pretty damn well (even if i do say so myself), and i'm planning to install either xp or windows 7 if my games are very slow. but will a slight increase of 200 mhz really cause alot of problems?

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah, i've used CoreAVC for some months now (togheter with K-Lite Mega codec package + Media player classic, which i've used for.. like forever) noticed a SLIGHT bump in performance with it, but not enough.

LiveCD, well i guess i could use that, but then i need to carry that CD around every time i want to see an episode or a movie, plus i need to restart the computer to see it, so not an option IMO
tongue.gif

Anyway, thanks for the tips ;P

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think (guessing now) that like FAST said, if the PC game makers optimized their games more, your PC would be able to run it.
So the fault is not really yours, but the game makers.

This is just a guess offcourse
mellow.gif

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
da_head said:
would something like a cooling pad help at all to deal with the heating issues that may arise?

I used a usb powered cooling fan on my old Vaio, it used to switch off after an hour because it overheated, the pad really made a big difference! I was able to leave it on all night and it was still reasonably cool in the morning!

But like has been said these days in gaming any half decent dual core is usually up to the task. Its the gpu that does most of the work! What games were you thinking of running? We have the exact same processor in our laptops and most of the time mine ran the games I tried fine with no problems! My laptop has a slightly less powerful graphics card then yours btw.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Basic cooling theory.

3 methods of heat transfer.
Conduction (solids in contact),
affected by contact area hence the thermal pads and thermal paste. The reason for a thin layer is because different materials conduct at different rates (leave a wooden spoon and a metal spoon in the same a hot liquid for the same amount of time) and thermal paste ironically does not conduct heat but it does fill in gaps pretty well. Silver is better than silicon but in this case I would be hard pressed to bring reasonable figures to prove the extra expense is worth it.

Convection (fluids or fluids in contact with solids and the important one here).
Moving fluid causes energy transfer to be quicker (page 143: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=IlkrE8x...lurgy#PPA143,M1 ) hence the fans. Blocking a port* stops the fluid flow and is what I see on laptops.
Faster fans (usually run off higher voltage sections of the board) make more fluid flow and so faster cooling. Small fans are usually more audible though so it is a tradeoff between sound and heat and as far as laptops are concerned space too.
Dust increases force required to move the blades and messes up airflow which is why we clean it out.

*reason 1 why you do not have it on your lap and I have also seen laptops sag and overheat because of it.

Radiation (only applicable in situations of very high temperature or if you are in a vacuum as it is then the only method of transfer).

Extras.
Latent heat (simplified version)- temperature is an average of the kinetic energy of the atoms/molecules in a material. For a material all atoms/molecules need to reach a given energy for a substance to change physical state and this energy difference between the average reaching the point and all of them is known as the latent heat (usually of melting or of evaporation or their counterparts depending on what is happening.
Heat sink as the name implies holds heat energy and will usually provide a better way to transfer heat away (moving it to another area or via heat spreaders (remember surface area). Space is at a premium in laptops so they are not usually that good on any front).
This is the principle behind air con, fridges and wax based cooling/temperature change slowing (see phase change cooling). Wax based cooling and liquid nitrogen exist in computing, a further type just being made relies on the simplification that air speed as you near the device goes to 0 (hence the surface area stuff) and creates mini hurricanes/electrical charges to disturb this and so increase cooling (quite well I might add).

In computers silicon stops functioning a desirable manner at temperatures of around 100 degrees C but lower temperatures are enough to cause issues with the setup (see electromigration- this is the thing that shortens the life of your chip when you overheat it) so we try to keep temperatures down. Note new computers and the more expensive components will have good temperature sensors while the old/low end stuff will need to be taken with a pinch of salt either because they are not so good or because they are found in places further from the actual heat source. Modern computers have a cutoff point when it comes to heat (old ones would simply keep working until they didn't).

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Wow amazing post fast!
yaypsp.gif

Also if your going to overclock and are worried about heating dont overclock an AMD processor. Check this video out, I know its for desktops, and its showing older processors, but it really opened my eyes!

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lol nice vid

@p1ngpong: yeah ok i'll get a cooling pad then. my major concern is gta iv, with the recommended cpu being quad core 2.4 ghz o.o. i know gta iv is a bad port, but my cpu still fails quite badly.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
da_head said:
lol nice vid

@p1ngpong: yeah ok i'll get a cooling pad then. my major concern is gta iv, with the recommended cpu being quad core 2.4 ghz o.o. i know gta iv is a bad port, but my cpu still fails quite badly.

Ahh I havent tried GTA IV on my laptop, a friend of mine has though, he says it runs ok on medium settings, his machine is similar to ours. Hes running XP btw, Vista will bog things down if you have it on your machine.

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
p1ngpong said:
da_head said:
lol nice vid

Ahh I havent tried GTA IV on my laptop, a friend of mine has though, he says it runs ok on medium settings, his machine is similar to ours. Hes running XP btw, Vista will bog things down if you have it on your machine.
yeah my friend's laptop is similar as well, except his cpu is 2.1 ghz or something. he can run it decently on medium, but a few parts, it lags alot :S

EDIT: is there a site out there that says how much i should roughly overclock my cpu (depending on the model of course)

EDIT 2: ahh forget it. i just checked my bios, and there's no option to overclock. friggen hp
is there software that allows me to overclock my cpu without needing to access the bios? i dled systools but fuckin vista wouldn't let me install it

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There should be a way to overclock but be careful the slightest mistake can lead to disaster. I haven't tried overclocking in laptops but i mainly do it on desktops but there is a way for laptops. You see the trick is to get the correct voltage which is the main key when it comes to overclocking. Plus your motherboard plays a vital role as well. If its GTA IV your looking for play it on a console (that's if you can) i have it on PS3, Xbox 360, and just recently on the PC. To be honest i enjoyed it the most on my PS3 (im not saying the 360 is crap ). Anyway if you are gonna overclock just make sure your able enough to cool your CPU well, ive resorted to liquid cooling my desktop due to over clocking and im hitting temps. of maximum 37 degress celcius when my CPU is stressed so that really really good. Plus ive overclocked it from 3.0GHz to 4Ghz, Like i said it depends on the voltage you put(to much can fry your CPU) and on the motherboard

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
p1ngpong's knowledge of computers is most gently described as "lacking". Frankly, I'd use much, much stronger words but they'd get me in trouble with the moderators. Don't trust anything he says.

Overclocking your laptop is a very, very, very, very bad idea without extra cooling *INSIDE*. You pretty much want a fluid-cooled system - and to steal FAST6191's term - not on this side of silly money.

Plus, it's a C2D. The amount of mhz means nothing - it can beat a 3.2ghz P4EE anyday. It's fast enough, especially if you correctly set CPU affinity from task manager.

tl;dr: Don't do it, it's a stupid idea. p1ngpong is notorious for bad ideas. Your computer is fast enough without anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.