Hacking Over 4GB Help

Marinkmus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im trying to put a 7GB wbfs smash bros brawl on a flash drive. When I try to copy it windows says it cant be over 4Gb, what do I do?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were wondering why, it's because FAT formatted drives, like your flash drive, can't have files bigger than 4GB, but Windows uses NTFS for its hard drive, which has no such limitation. Wii backup manager splits the file for you so no piece is above the 4GB limit and can then be moved from NTFS to FAT.

Marinkmus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were wondering why, it's because FAT formatted drives, like your flash drive, can't have files bigger than 4GB, but Windows uses NTFS for its hard drive, which has no such limitation. Wii backup manager splits the file for you so no piece is above the 4GB limit and can then be moved from NTFS to FAT.
Will the Wii be able to use a NTFS hard drive?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the wii can use ntfs, but von compatibility isn't as high as it is with fat32 as far as homebrew goes. Fat32 is definitely the recommended filesystem for wii usage.

Sorry about my concise answer before, I'm posting from mobile and was on the toilet at work when I wrote it, lol.

Marinkmus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I tried the backup manager and after the transfer was complete, there was nothing on the drive. Then I tried NTFS and the game didn't show up on the wii. By the way, thanks for replying.

johand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What if you rip a wii game to your usb fat drive through the console, and it is over 4 gb?

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Marinkmus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never mind guys I found out the problem. My iso wasn't splitting cuz I had a bad copy, I downloaded a new one and it worked. Thanks for the replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: what's up woke boy