Tutorial  Updated

How to install the exFAT driver without updating!

This guide is outdated, use this easier guide instead: guide, original thread: ChoiDujourNX

Warning: Use at your own risk, using a wrong version of a game dump could prevent the console from booting.

Warning: Because we install the driver without ever requesting this from Nintendo, this could be detected if you go online and result in a ban.

Intro:

How to install the exFAT driver without updating you console.
I used the game dump "Penny.Punching.Princess.NSW-BigBlueBox" on my 3.0.2 Switch.
I'm assuming you know how FG works and how to send payloads to the console before proceeding.

There are two methods of installing this:
1, Stock: Installing it to the system like a cartridge would. This works on stock firmware but exFAT support would be lost after a system update.
2, CFW: When booting Horizon via hekate, a .kip1 file will be injected. The console's eMMC remains unaltered and will not have the driver loaded when booting normally and not via hekate.

Method 1, Stock:

Necessities:

- A console with firmware version 2.0 or higher (does not work on 1.0.0)
- A Game dump with an update on it that is the same version as the console (tested: trimmed xci works)
- Switch encryption keys (these can't be shared, Google 'nswroms' to find them)
- patch.zip: link
- TegraRcmGUI / TegraRcmSmash (TegraRcmGUI)
- memloader (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)
- HacDiskMount (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/)

Steps:

step 1: Copy the contents of the sample directory of memloaderv1.zip to the root of your SD card.
step 2: Enter RCM using your prefered method: how-to-test-fusee-gelee.
step 3: Inject the memloader.bin payload that is located inside of memloaderv1.zip.
step 4: Select 'ums_emmc.ini' by navigating with the volume buttons and confirming with the power button.
step 5: open HacDiskMount as administrator and select 'Linux UMS disk 0':
9niP3aA.png
step 6: Double click BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main and a window will pop-up:
jl6PSBZ.png
step 7: Use the 'Start' button in the 'Dump to file' section to extract the partition.
step 8: (!) Create a backup of BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin and store it somewhere safe.
step 9: Create a new directory and extract the contents of patch.zip into it.
step 10: Copy the game dump and BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin to the same directory.
step 11: Create a file named keys.txt in the same directory.
step 12: Copy all of the Switch encryption keys to this file.
The keys.txt file should contain at least the following keys, replace the ... with the keys you found online.

master_key_00 = ...
master_key_01 = ...
master_key_02 = ...
master_key_03 = ...
master_key_04 = ...
aes_kek_generation_source = ...
aes_key_generation_source = ...
key_area_key_application_source = ...
header_kek_source = ...
header_key_source = ...
step 13: Inside of the directory we created, drag the game dump .xci onto the patch.bat file.
step 14: If the process executed successfully you should see something like this:
qfxpqd7.png

(The number of bytes can vary)
(Don't worry about the 'Failed to match key' warnings)
step 15: Go back to HacDiskMount and click on 'Browse' in the 'Restore from file' section and select BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin that we just patched.
step 16: Close the pop-up window and doucle click on BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub.
step 17: Repeat step 15 and restore the same BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin file (optional, but advised).
step 18: Hold the power button on your Switch for 12 seconds to turn it off and then boot it again to see the results!

Results:

Before:
eJvxiBb.jpg

H0NszhP.jpg

After:
B5BL3UT.jpg

dqmIIc4.png

Credits:

@Raugo for creating the original Spanish tutotial: link

Method 2, CFW:

Necessities:

- Everything from method 1, except: memloader and HacDiskMount
- sdfiles.zip (https://github.com/tumGER/SDFilesSwitch/releases)
- hekate (https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/releases)

Steps:

step 1: Create a new directory and extract the contents of patch.zip into it.
step 2: Copy the game dump to the same directory.
step 3: Create a file named keys.txt in the same directory.
step 4: Copy all of the Switch encryption keys to this file.
The keys.txt file should contain at least the following keys, replace the ... with the keys you found online.

master_key_00 = ...
master_key_01 = ...
master_key_02 = ...
master_key_03 = ...
master_key_04 = ...
aes_kek_generation_source = ...
aes_key_generation_source = ...
key_area_key_application_source = ...
header_kek_source = ...
header_key_source = ...
step 6: Inside of the directory we created, drag the game dump .xci onto the patch-cfw.bat file.
step 7: If the process executed successfully you should see something like this:
8tVdyio.png

step 8: Copy the file FS.kip1 that was just created in the 'out' directory, to the root of your SD card.
step 8: Copy the contents of sdfiles.zip to the root of your SD card.
step 9: On your SD card, open hekate_ipl.ini inside of a text editor.
step 10: Add the following line below each boot entry that you want to inject:
Code:
kip1=FS.kip1
A boot entry is a line that starts with [ and ends with ], for example:
Code:
[CFW]
kip1=modules/newfirm/loader.kip
kip1=modules/newfirm/sm.kip
kip1=FS.kip1
step 11: Put the SD card back into your Switch.
step 12: Enter RCM using your prefered method: how-to-test-fusee-gelee.
step 13: Inject the hekate.bin payload

After booting hekate and selecting either 'stock' or 'CFW' from the 'Launch firmware' section, the exFAT driver will be injected!

Last edited by Quantumcat,

yesimnathan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to say that I did this to my switch running 4.1.0 yesterday and it worked great.

I actually considered going the hekate restore route that derekzoolander mentioned but it would be much slower and would be rewriting a lot of unnecessary data to the emmc on your switch. It should work though.

derekzoolander

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I preferred this way since I never had to write to my nand until I actually restored the backup... Secondly due to my VM issues from being on a Mac, I spent like 2 days trying to get my switch nand to be properly mounted directly

Last, I have a pretty fast SD card... Restoring only took like 30-45 mins

Krude

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm having some real difficulties getting a working 3.0.0 exFAT kip1. I thought i got one (finally found a copy of Pokken DX) but no, firmware boot fails with that one, so it's probably a 3.0.1 FW on there.

Can anyone send me a FW 3.0.0 FW.kip1, pretty please?

Krude

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OK, i got the exFAT thing working on my 4.1.0 switch with a FS.kip1 from Owlboy, so it's definitely just that i can't for the life of me find a Pokken version with a 3.0.0 update for my other switch. :(

Welll on the upside, i have working exFAT on at least one of my consoles...

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you would like to update the OP @riyyi, there is a way easier way to do this now.

1. Download CTcaer's Hekate 3.1+
2. Do a RAW FULL Nand backup
3. Transfer said backup to PC/Mac & create a second copy of it.
4. Open the COPY of your nand backup using HacDiskMount (save the original elsewhere so you can restore if you brick it)
5. 'Dump to file' the BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main partition
6. Follow steps 9-14
7. Again open your Rawnand.bin file with HacDiskMount
8. Open the BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main, but this time click "restore from file" and restore the file created in steps 6
9. Do the same for the BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub
10. Place this backup on your SD and restore using the Hekate from step 1.

With this method there is no need to directly mount or write to your switch nand using the PC and should remove issues for anyone with a Mac who cannot get USB3 working or the switch mounting properly in a VM.

**normal disclaimer, this worked for me, if you break it, its your fault. I offer no support for this method etc etc etc.

I can confirm that I successfully edited my nand as per this mini tutorial, except I used files from ChoiDujour instead of the zip posted in the OP. Nonetheless, great job guys

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OK, i got the exFAT thing working on my 4.1.0 switch with a FS.kip1 from Owlboy, so it's definitely just that i can't for the life of me find a Pokken version with a 3.0.0 update for my other switch. :(

Welll on the upside, i have working exFAT on at least one of my consoles...
Word of advise is to use *cough* xbins *cough* and ChoiDujour (step 6+7 from rajkosto's guide to upgrade firmware without burning fuses), then adapt it to this guide.either live edits or nand restoration

Reactions: riyyi

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's the best way to format the card in exFat for the Switch?
Are you guys using any tools?
Or just Windows explorer?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nope, left it all default in the app.
Hasn't given me any problems so far.

I also used to to format larger cards to fat32 previously. Its pretty much my go to software for partitioning
Yeah it's a great piece of software. Been using it for big external drives for years now.
Alright then I'll go with the default values. Thx.

MrAB

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My switch is currently on 5.0.0 what game cart can i use so i can add exFat support to my switch.
Im new to this all too btw.

Magic Lubricant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have been updating games on SX OS and they didnt get banned, it will be easier to just get it online because you're on the latest firmware anyway.

If you don't want to do that you can use the xbins ftp to get the 5.1.0 update package.
Follow step 6 and 7 from this tutorial:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/
That should create the NX-5.1.0 directory with the BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin file inside of it.
Thanks for this, I was able to install the exFAT driver on 5.1.0!

Reactions: lordelan

ts61fa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
step 16: Close the pop-up window and doucle click on BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub.
step 17: Repeat step 15 and restore the same BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin file (optional, but advised).

At step 16 and 17 i loaded the Normal main.bin on the BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub option. Switch wont boot (dunno if this fked it up or something else before). But Hackdismount (admin runned) wont see the switch, im not able to restore original backup :S what can I do?

EDIT: Ok I had formatted the SD card so after putting back the files on sdcard, I managed to make Hackdismount work and find my switch again, restored the original dumped bcpkg2 file, but the problem unfortunately still remains.

Last edited by ts61fa,

riyyi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
At step 16 and 17 i loaded the Normal main.bin on the BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub option. Switch wont boot (dunno if this fked it up or something else before).
You can try only doing BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main, but it sounds like you're using a wrong game for your Switch update. If you can't get a game to work try xbins and instructions in the quote above your post.

Lidorsho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Hi.
I'm on 5.1 fw, and I'm trying to use games with that fw (5.x.x)
The problem is that hactool says "Invalid XCI partition!"
What should I do?

riyyi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi.
I'm on 5.1 fw, and I'm trying to use games with that fw (5.x.x)
The problem is that hactool says "Invalid XCI partition!"
What should I do?
I updated the link to patch.zip to include hactool with card2 support.
An alternative would be to use the steps below:
People have been updating games on SX OS and they didnt get banned, it will be easier to just get it online because you're on the latest firmware anyway.

If you don't want to do that you can use the xbins ftp to get the 5.1.0 update package.
Follow step 6 and 7 from this tutorial:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/
That should create the NX-5.1.0 directory with the BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin file inside of it.

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
If you would like to update the OP @riyyi, there is a way easier way to do this now.

1. Download CTcaer's Hekate 3.1+
2. Do a RAW FULL Nand backup
3. Transfer said backup to PC/Mac & create a second copy of it.
4. Open the COPY of your nand backup using HacDiskMount (save the original elsewhere so you can restore if you brick it)
5. 'Dump to file' the BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main partition
6. Follow steps 9-14
7. Again open your Rawnand.bin file with HacDiskMount
8. Open the BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main, but this time click "restore from file" and restore the file created in steps 6
9. Do the same for the BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub
10. Place this backup on your SD and restore using the Hekate from step 1.

With this method there is no need to directly mount or write to your switch nand using the PC and should remove issues for anyone with a Mac who cannot get USB3 working or the switch mounting properly in a VM.

**normal disclaimer, this worked for me, if you break it, its your fault. I offer no support for this method etc etc etc.

thought you can't do a RAW nand restore of a partial dump as of yet ?and you are only allowed to use partial dumping with fat32 ...
I am confused ..did ctcear update his mode to support fat32 nand restoring ?

Last edited by Ghassen-ga,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Drug Mule Bot roll out!