Hardware Original 3ds No Charging at all.

shadowharold

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
So I have an old 3ds that won't charge, the orange light turns on when connected but the battery doesn't charge. Before someone comes suggesting it is a battery issue let me tell you it is not, I can charge the battery in another console I have, also the charger works well on the other console. Currently, I am taking out the battery to charge it but it's not ideal. I have searched far and wide and no answer, I have read some threads in which some have been able to fix this problem either soldering a wire from pin 1 on the charging connector or soldering wires directly on the plus and minus contacts of the battery connector and directly to the charging connector to the 3ds. The only issue with this is that there are no pictures to use as a reference. So if someone had the same problem or can provide some pictures I can use it would be appreciated.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The problem is probably with the charging circuits or the fuses on the motherboard, there isn't really any easy way to fix it except replacing the motherboard, unless you are an expert with electronics repair.
soldering wires directly on the plus and minus contacts of the battery connector and directly to the charging connector to the 3ds
That is a very bad and dangerous idea, the voltage of the 3DS charger is much above the voltage that Lithium-Ion batteries should be charged at.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[…]

That is a very bad and dangerous idea, the voltage of the 3DS charger is much above the voltage that Lithium-Ion batteries should be charged at.
In theory this could work (for a while) since a good consumer Li-ion battery has a protection circuit stopping the charge process on overvoltage.

But the result would probably look like this in the end (although that was a higher voltage):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-not-powering-on.554449/
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
My theory why the 3DS in this case did not blow up immediately is that the (discharged) battery functioned like a buffer lowering the voltage of the improper power adapter to acceptable values – until the battery protection circuit shut off to prevent battery thermal runaway (which gave the console the full 9V → exitus).

:!: Long story short: Do not connect DC power without charging electronics to a Li-ion battery.
=============

A safer way would be using an external dedicated Li-Ion battery charger which requires to remove the battery for each recharge – not very practical.

What is possible is soldering wires to the battery terminals, no battery and giving the console 3.8V DC power. I still would not recommend doing this.
Edit:
Found it!
https://gbatemp.net/threads/2ds-charging-problem-power-supply-modding.556922/

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

shadowharold

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
@shadowharold, if repairing the o3DS charging components on its motherboard is not within your means (hired help from repair tech not available -or- you're not comfortable DIY), look into getting an external li-ion battery recharger like this one.
I would like to know how to repair the charging components I have several good motherboards so I have no qualms if it dies. If I could get some pictures to guide me it would be great.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to know how to repair the charging components I have several good motherboards so I have no qualms if it dies. If I could get some pictures to guide me it would be great.
There are several threads in this 3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware section that are relevant to recharging. I'm currently too lazy to pull them up, but they can be looked for in the forum's advance search option: https://gbatemp.net/search/

recharging related components
  • country/regional power outlet plug standard
    • AC charger (input voltage & amp versus the above)
  • charger port (with or without dock contacts)
  • power supply filter (EM10)
  • F1 + F2 microfuses (04000026NR ???)
  • IC charging chip (BQ24072)
  • PMIC chip (93045A4)
  • powerboard / YXBA button board {n3DS / n3DSXL only}
  • battery (CTR-003, SPR-003, KTR-003)
  • miscellaneous loose fitments, dirty/contaminated contacts, broken solder joints / connectors

Since the orange LED indicator does come on when the AC charger is plugged in, we can rule out plug outlet, AC charger, charger port, and power supply filter.

A lucky scenario would be one of the two fuses are blown. You'll need a phillips sized 'PH00' screwdriver to disassemble the o3DS and a multimeter if you intend to test them for continuity.

If they're bad, don't gut the fuses from the donor motherboards. Buy replacement microfuses from eBay, ZedLabz, Aliexpress, or even DigiKey, Newark, Mouser.

I don't recommend replacing the fuses yourself if you don't have a soldering iron and/or don't know how to solder.

For bad charging or PMIC chips, these can only be fixed with a hot air station. If the problem is one of these, you're probably better off buying a replacement o3DS motherboard from Aliexpress instead of replacing those chips if reflow soldering is not up your alley.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: fmkid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey