PS1/2 OPL stuttering

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just recently installed a 500GB HDD (it was a PS3 HDD) with SATA MOD, I transferred Final Fantasy XII onto my Hard Drive using WinHiip after formatting with HDDManager and Launching OPL once, but I still have small but noticeable stuttering. Do I need a faster HDD (I am using an official PS3 HDD probably 7 years old), or did I install it wrong (different configs)? Can anybody point me to recent guides, I want to have the setup with the best performance/compatibility.

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes you have to activate certain modes to get games to work better, use this compatibility list

https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/page/opl-game-compatibility-list-F

Final Fantasy XII SLES_543.54
SLUS_209.63 DVD5 892_DB HDD / SMB 6 YES HDD=50 YES SMB: the only Issue is on FMVs, they freeze sometimes, but you can jump them. 12/31/2016

The problem is it's talking about using SMB which is through ethernet for this, but you could try it with HDD, activate mode 6. Also it's not 100% perfect on some games they never perfected the compatibility, although it's pretty good overall. Unless there's something wrong with the hard drive or it's from china it's probably fine if it's working at all.

Last edited by Jayinem81,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sometimes you have to activate certain modes to get games to work better, use this compatibility list

https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/page/opl-game-compatibility-list-F

Final Fantasy XII SLES_543.54
SLUS_209.63 DVD5 892_DB HDD / SMB 6 YES HDD=50 YES SMB: the only Issue is on FMVs, they freeze sometimes, but you can jump them. 12/31/2016

The problem is it's talking about using SMB which is through ethernet for this, but you could try it with HDD, activate mode 6. Also it's not 100% perfect on some games they never perfected the compatibility, although it's pretty good overall. Unless there's something wrong with the hard drive or it's from china it's probably fine if it's working at all.
Thank you so much! New to PS2 Modding, I'm on a quest to hack 'em all, I only have 2 consoles remaining. Nice to have help, especially considering how old the console is.

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First try turning on Mode 1. If this does not fix the issue, turn Mode 1 off, and set the DMA mode to UDMA0, or even slower. If neither of those options work, then turn on both Mode 1 and use the slowest DMA mode (MDMA0 I think?).

The issues with more modern HDDs (and later versions of OPL) is that data is being sent "too fast" and you need to slow it down.

Daiking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First try turning on Mode 1. If this does not fix the issue, turn Mode 1 off, and set the DMA mode to UDMA0, or even slower. If neither of those options work, then turn on both Mode 1 and use the slowest DMA mode (MDMA0 I think?).

The issues with more modern HDDs (and later versions of OPL) is that data is being sent "too fast" and you need to slow it down.
How do I turn on and off Modes?

HippyJ3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If anyone's interested, I'm conducting my own tests which games are most compatible on a USB thumb drive via OPL, you can find a list of games that are running with no FMV stuttering without changing a game configuration on my blog along with a few configuration guides, although I haven't updated it for a few months now, but will add more games on the list on a later date.

Tested In: 0.85 version OPL (Haven't Updated to the 1.00 Version Yet), and PS2 Fat Models SCPH 10000 and SCPH 35000 and a Sandisk USB Thumb Drive.

You can view my findings here:
http://hippyj3.blogspot.com/2020/05/open-ps2-loader-usb-thumb-drive.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1