Opera Browser?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by portezbie, Jun 6, 2010.

Jun 6, 2010

Opera Browser? by portezbie at 11:05 PM (2,826 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. portezbie
    OP

Member portezbie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm curious, does the opera browser work on the sc dstwo? Can you run it without a slot-2 device? How would one do this?

2. connorroy

Newcomer connorroy Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    you would need to code the browser to use the dstwo processor and to do that you need an sdk

3. flamingo24

Member flamingo24 GBAtemp Regular

It wouldn't matter, the sc dstwo has a extra processor not extra memory. It's not possible.

4. portezbie
    OP

Member portezbie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yeah, that makes sense. Guess I wasn't really thinking. Thanks.

5. KDH

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually, it does have 32 MB of on-board RAM as well. It's required for the GBA emulator to function.

6. flamingo24

It is not required. The running of GBA games on the SCDSTWO is emulation, there is no need for the rom to be stored in RAM to emulate a actual cart, as native hardware is not being used. I have yet to find a spec sheet stating it has its own dedicated memory?!

7. Matt140

Member Matt140 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Free Cheat shows us that it has to have and use extra memory, if it had to write all memory values to the microSD every search it wouldn't run at a viable speed. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

8. flamingo24

It needs to search the rom located on the TF card. The benefit of the extra processor may play a role in terms of the speed. You would think if it had extra memory this would be a selling point the SC team wouldn't try and hide.

9. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    ...that doesn't make much sense. What you're searching is the RAM of the DS. There's a big difference in patching a ROM (the copy of the game on your SD card) and changing values in RAM as a game is running. They really are NOT the same thing.

10. flamingo24

You are right my phrasing was off. The rom is not stored in RAM, memory locations are searched.

11. 9th_Sage

United States
    What's this have to do with the SD card? It's definitely not storing the RAM on the SD card, if that's what you're trying to say.

12. flamingo24

No, thats not what I am trying to say! I'm saying its patching/searching the memory location of the game located on the TF. Not patching/searching the game itself on the TF.

13. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Considering the random access speeds of microSD cards don't hold a candle to random access speeds of GBA's cartridges, GBA emulation with the DSTWO would not be possible without that on-card memory.

14. 9th_Sage

United States
    I agree. The emulator would just not work very well that way.

15. KDH

United States
    Exactly. That is why there hasn't been a GBA emulator for the DS until now. Well, until the movie player with the same hardware anyway.

16. flamingo24

Where did you read the SCDSTWO has extra on board memory? The Supercard team made no mention of this...why?

17. dhjohn

Member dhjohn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Why make mention? No one but them can actually use it. (Unless/until they release the sdk).
    The memory is only used for the things they are promoting already. (Gba, snes, video playback)

18. flamingo24

Doesn't the same premise apply to the extra processor? It certainly would make for a good selling point as the extra processor has done.

19. 9th_Sage

United States
    Actually, the fact that the DS by itself doesn't have enough of a CPU to really do it is a huge reason too.

20. KDH

United States
    If that was directed at me, I didn't read it anywhere. It's not that hard to figure out though, if you have a bit of technical knowledge and decent reasoning abilities. Observe:

1. The major reason there hasn't been a GBA emulator for the DS before now is because it is impossible to read from a MicroSD card quickly enough to run a GBA game.
    2. The DSTWO has a (nearly) perfect GBA emulator.

From these two simple observations we can conclude one of two things, either:

A. The SuperCard DSTWO has on-board RAM large enough to hold and fast enough to run any GBA game.
    -OR-
    B. The SuperCard DSTWO can defy the laws of physics.

Which do you think is more likely?

As for why they haven't told us, it's the same reason Microsoft doesn't give you the source code to Windows or, perhaps more aptly, why you cell phone manufacturer doesn't tell you every chip that's in your phone: it's proprietary.