OpenVPN on Windows 8.1 not routing

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by TheDreamLord, Sep 11, 2014.

1. TheDreamLord
    OP

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Heya.

So I bought a dedicated server and got OpenVPN running on it. Works fine on my Android and laptop which runs Ubuntu, but not my Windows PC. There are seemingly no errors. It connects fine and all that but does not route anything through it. Here is the current console.

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    It runs with admin rights, Network Connects service is on, RAS is enabled and the TAP-Windows driver functions normally. When running command prompt "client.ovpn" I get the same output as above.
    It looks like it should run fine, but it doesn't.

My client.ovpn

2. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2006
    Sydney
    Does your local Windows routing table show the required entries to route over the VPN?

Can you ping the VPN gateway?

What OS is the remote server running?

What is the purpose for setting up the VPN?

3. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    How do you know it's not working though? If you know the IP address of your OpenVPN server, then while you're openvpn client is connected with that output, check What's My IP to see if it give you the IP of your server or not.

Also here's a sample of my working client side conf:

As you can see, the bottom three items you see in your config are not in mine. Those are in my server side, though I don't have bypass-dhcp in mine.

4. TheDreamLord
    OP

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Yes

No

Ubuntu 14.04

Does not matter

SAme IP.

I did fix it by removing the "pull" which is server-side only, however now I cannot view websites etc after a minute of use.

5. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2006
    Sydney
    Can you view websites by IP address rather than URLs?

6. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    Interesting. How about you sent me a note with the server and client side configurations, and I'll see what must be changed. I used a program on my server called Webmin, and a tutorial to help me set up the configuration for my server, so I should be able to figure out how to get yours working, possibly.