Opening Extracted data from Spore Hero

EvolvedWillosaur42

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I've extracted the files from the Spore Hero ROM. I don't know what programs are used for most of the files in the ROM.
Please tell what software I need to open these files.

Thanks
Willosaur

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is generally the job of the hacker.

Some games (usually pokemon, sonic, mario platform, mario kart, maybe mario party, final fantasy, megaman/rockman, advance wars, fire emblem, maybe dragon quest at times and to the surprise of many fire pro wrestling) get communities that set about pulling things apart in detail. Everything else relies on them either sharing file formats* with other games (and many devs would have things given by Nintendo, given to them by their publisher, use popular PC formats, be ported from PC where more might be known or buy in stuff for more dedicated game devs) for which you might find existing tools, or format descriptions but often also find yourself figuring out a custom twist they did for it, or something entirely custom. http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Game_File_Format_Central https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Category:Game_Formats in addition to whatever you find around here (I have a link in my signature which is more focused on the GBA and DS but the formats we saw were similar enough on the GC, Wii, 3ds and now Switch), https://www.romhacking.net/ or the like. There are some tools that get loaded up with dozens/hundreds of formats and the means to recognise them. That most people don't use them outside of their abilities to view raw files, extract things from ROM/ISO files, decompress things, view hex and such like probably says most of what you need to know there as well as far as having that be a means to know everything.

*you usually check the extension or in the first 100 or so bytes of a file start or end will be something giving the game away like a magic stamp or other identifier.

Beyond that you either learn enough assembly coding to be able to pull apart the file from how the ROM interacts with it (hard but gets the job done), learn enough about the hardware that you can reasonably guess what is going on (being a ROM and source code being kept behind these days -- was not always, Sega lost source code is a good search term there), learn enough about formats in general that you can figure out what is going on. For any of those you do also have the option to tweak a file and run the game to see what changed/broke.
Nobody does the assembly coding route that does not have a foundation in the other aspects, and even if they can do the tracing/assembly route then they will probably still start off with the other means of analysis.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.