(Open Question) Top Screen Mod

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by deishido, Oct 29, 2016.

1. deishido
    OP

deishido Texture Modder

Jul 8, 2009
    United States
    Indiana
    Alright, preface. I know close to nothing about physical modding and there's probably a stupid obvious reason why this hasn't happened yet. But with all of the new mods lately; bluetooth audio, wireless charging, usb nand modding... Its worth asking:

Would it be possible to replace the top screen on the N3DSXL with a screen capable of outputting a higher resolution than 240p?

Such a screen probably isn't readily available and I'm sure that there would have to be some coding done to make the system upscale properly, maybe something like what Citra me a capture card does to output high definition? The 3D isn't really something I'm really concerned about, lmao. Thoughts?

2. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Some games have a hard enough time running without framerate drops... and you want to add even more strain to the processor?

deishido likes this.
  3. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Changing the screen won't change anything. the 3ds display output is 400x240 regardless of the screen. that's why the image loses quality on the xl. even when it is streamed to a pc, it's still 400x240

Nvm, I didn't read the last part of your post, still isn't possible though.

Last edited by WeedZ, Oct 29, 2016
  4. deishido
    OP

deishido Texture Modder

Jul 8, 2009
    United States
    Indiana
    I don't think I've ever played a game with unbearable lag :v but I never was picky about that. Tbh, if it was possible, I'd probably never actually do it. This was just more to see if its been done.
    Lol, that's fair and still a very good point. I figure the physical screens have some kind of hardware requirement, but who knows. I certainly wouldn't have thought wireless charging to be possible but here we are. If it were feasible, it would be something like a modified capture card and a portable screen. But all of that would probably take away the whole portable aspect of the system. Lmao.

5. Serrara Willow Fluttershy

Serrara Willow Fluttershy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    No...just, no. :(

6. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    All you'd have to do is replace the screen, replace the hardware that drives it, rewrite the system software, rewrite all the games... Actually just make an entirely new handheld from scratch, might be quicker.