Online Game Hacks?

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Ewpb, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Ewpb
    OP

Ewpb Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2013
    Can anyone confirm if this is this a thing now? Is there a phantom Discord hacking group user testing the waters?

WintendoZone likes this.
  2. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBAtemp's Onion Cricket

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    At the computer.
    Where did you get this from?

3. Ewpb
    OP

Ewpb Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2013
  4. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBAtemp's Onion Cricket

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    At the computer.
    Maybe some lone wolf hacker?

I don't know.

5. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    It's possible. We don't know who has access to what at the current moment. I do remember running into hackers on the 360 well before jtag services were publicly known.

6. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    In Splatoon 2 you can capture 30 second of video. Would have been a very useful feature to take advantage of in moments like this.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If it is true then it bodes ill for future games if playing against people cheating is not your thing. Were I nintendo I would have loaded the kernel and game with some obfuscated checks that nobody looks for when first feeling out a system -- I can find obfuscated checks in DS games but that is mainly because I have however many years it is now of tools to play with, while not impossible to replicate the feat for an unknown system it takes so much longer and is so very tedious.

On the other hand I guess nobody cares about security until it happens to them. One would have thought the farce that was the DS, 3ds and wii online would have provided that event but oh well, and if the failures we saw there were any indication we are working with some serious incompetence.

Just in time to make their paid online a nice joke as well.

Kafluke and Ewpb like this.
  8. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Fan

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    They do, and if you connect to their servers with misaligned checks they'll know.

But why don't you tell us more about how they haven't done anything and whatever other jokes you've got up your sleeve.

9. guily6669

guily6669 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, because way before someone already had a public file re-hasher so you could mod some files...

I also was one of the first with a friend to make custom hex edited themes by me and my friend took care of the protections and this was way before they made the tool to make themes, I already had all the combinations of the bottom bar, I spent days testing a lot of hex values (and was before JTAG or RGH)...

On other games you could modify the ISO like on GTA and burn it on the Dvd-DL with the FWH on the drive.

On COD 4 example you could assign the cheats for a button so you could do a lot of crap with just hex editing before having the console publicly hacked.

PS: I hope everyone gets banned on MP cheats, screw that crap, I only like cheating SP games or coop games where you don't use to kill players and not much overpowered cheats, I mostly only like inf ammo 4 example.

Last edited by guily6669, Feb 11, 2018
    Memoir and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  10. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Agreed. I don't care if you cheat in your own little world separate from multiplayer. If you cheat to ruin another's game, you're an ass.

guily6669 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  11. punderino

punderino aka Big-Dick Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Yeah there are people who have found ways to do small things in Splatoon like change ink color, freeze in air sorta things. Small MITM.

WintendoZone likes this.
  12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    this is why i don't play any nintendo games online anymore. :glare:

13. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Everyone used to say I was hacking at marble blast of all games lol(I just literally memorized the gem spawn pattern), there were only a few ppl better then me, they seemed to move just a bit faster then me, not too long ago I found out that you could shave down your 360 controller around the control stick, and in that game at least, it would make you go slightly faster. Of course this isnt guaranteed to be what it was, there are usually all kind of weird glitches found out later.

Memoir likes this.
  14. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    There's an obvious difference between hacking and good players. I see your point, though.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  15. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Fan

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    Splatoon 2 is P2P (as are, I believe, most console releases in this day and age), so there's probably not some bulletproof solution to preventing this as its like trying to prevent a lag-switch in a fighter or shooter. Its not directly attacking the system but the way the data is relayed and you won't be able to immediately know.

Obviously, overtime data will accrue to make it obvious if you're doing something but that's not going to be automated.

16. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    If you know what to look for, it's obvious.

17. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    That was just modified unsigned code from a backup back when flashing the disc drive's firm was a thing.

18. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    ...back when it was an instant flag and the account lasted 72 hours at most... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

19. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    Hardly, we had members that posted proof of concept on Microsoft's site without any consequence. Videos of modifying games, running backups, hot swapping serial ata, etc.

20. Cubuss

Cubuss Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2017
    Netherlands
    High Quality Shitposter
    Git Gud You Scrub,

WeedZ likes this.