KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hardmod mean soldering.
Well, there are a few hardware modifications (for example some Wii modchips) that do not require soldering…
…but accessing the Wii U NAND is very "solder…ful" ← and that is a brilliant word creation. That alone deserves a "👍"

A lot of wires and a lot of very tiny points to solder. https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-kaflukes-hardmod-cbhc-unbrick-guide.476725/
UH6kGFw.png

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Well, there are a few hardware modifications (for example some Wii modchips) that do not require soldering…
…but accessing the Wii U NAND is very "solder…ful" ← and that is a brilliant word creation. That alone deserves a "👍"

A lot of wires and a lot of very tiny points to solder. https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-kaflukes-hardmod-cbhc-unbrick-guide.476725/
UH6kGFw.png
Yeah. That means that I won't ever homebrew a Wii U. Thanks.
Though kinda sad, I can get over it (unlike the Switch which genuinely angers me).

At least my 3DS isn't so much prone to bricks and you can restore NAND backups without any sort of hardware fuckery.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though kinda sad, I can get over it (unlike the Switch which genuinely angers me).

At least my 3DS isn't so much prone to bricks and you can restore NAND backups without any sort of hardware fuckery.

The thing is if you take care of your systems you should be fine, I don't have hard modded Wii U either, just a regular CBHC Wii U. Back then the 3ds require hardmod and a nand backup if you want to restore a NAND if you bricked. I mean for the switch as long you get an unpatched unit and a jig you don't need a modchip like SX Core or HWFLY.

Kopimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tiramisu is pretty damn safe from bricks. I would look into that. If you're concerned with bricking I would stay clear of Coldboot Haxchi (CBHC).

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why nit softmod then??

Also... why is everyone so shit scared of CBHC?? There is no brick risk unless you are a moron and reformat your device without properly removing cbhc first. All such information is in the thread also!

Honestly...... Only a moron could brick it! And if anyone says "well i done that and I'm noy a moron"...... You are I'm afraid!! :ha:

Reactions: Takokeshi

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Tiramisu is pretty damn safe from bricks. I would look into that. If you're concerned with bricking I would stay clear of Coldboot Haxchi (CBHC).
I tried installing Tiramisu, using wiiu.hacks.guide. Panicked because I accidentally ran HBL via browser instead of Mii Maker and despite rebooting the gamepad multiple times, it still went to the black screen and the message.

I don't know how did it NOT occur for me to also check the console itself, not just the GP. A reboot of the console & a removal of the SD card did the trick.

Reactions: Kopimist

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
unless you are a moron and reformat your device without properly removing cbhc first.
So all the people buying Wii Us on eBay are morons? Cause 99.97% of CBHC bricks come from people saying: "Got a console from a cheap deal oneBay. It had data from the previous owner on it so I formatted and now it's bricked".

Trophies
XP
So all the people buying Wii Us on eBay are morons? Cause 99.97% of CBHC bricks come from people saying: "Got a console from a cheap deal oneBay. It had data from the previous owner on it so I formatted and now it's bricked".
That's a fair point, if you're going to sell your console you shouldn't automatically assume everyone knows the risks of formatting with CBHC installed, let alone even know what CBHC IS.

People should at least uninstall mods properly and THEN format to avoid someone accidentally making a glorified paperweight.

Edit: I know this is totally random but what breed is the dog in your PFP? it's adorable!

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

No they would be victims!

Totally different scenario to what the op needs though. They're clearly asking about their options and not blindly jumping in, which is what any sensible person buying a known modded 2nd hand console would/should obviously do.

I totally get your point though, it is a real scenario but doesn't apply to people who are looking to mod a console as they would already have a basic level of understanding on how to do it and/or where to find out.

Last edited by Lostbhoy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A girl told me she wanted to be poly and I'm like can I be the 4th wheel then