Hacking On the ability to play backups without drive chip

blinktoday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Infinity-X said:
C'mon guys. Can you not have your argument in this topic and go flame at each other in the other one? This flaming at each other is completely pointless and its getting rather annoying so I'm asking nicely, can you please stop?
I agree. You guys are ruining a perfectly good thread, one that is actually contributing to the scene.

Geek72790

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow and I was seriously thinking of buying a Wiikey + WiiClip, I will wait this out and see what becomes of it, because I would much rather softmod, than spend $60+ on a modchip.

If I had any programing skills, I would probably help, but I don't cause I failed that part of my Info tech class
tongue.gif

Hell even if it just plays Gamecube backups I will be happy as hell, cause that was one of the main reasons for me to get a Wii modchip in the first place, There is still tons on Gamecube games I would love to play, all I would use Wii back-ups for are for actual back-ups of my games, and Custom Guitar Hero 3.

I wish all of you who are working on this luck

dobbod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone leaked the bug @EOL, he was told by Waninkoko how to do it.

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_publicacion...e-dvd-s_1065026

Translation:

QUOTE said:
Beforehand, I have to say that Waninkoko explained me all of this. I know publishing this here is betraying him, but without publishing it i'm betraying myself for having the way for the scene to advance and not using it.

The exploit is all about the Nintendo's idiotness. If you look at the DVD commands taken from the Revolution SDK there's 8E DVDLowEnableDVDVideo, that they forgot to remove. If you can modify IOS to use this funcion instead, this activates a special mode from the DVD to enable DVD-R reading (in this case, its purpose was enabling VIDEO DVD's)

If you modify IOS to enable this (you need to do it in a special way), you could enable reading of DVD-R's from homebrew and the DVD drive would read it.

About backup loading.. you have to work that out a bit first.

To read data once DVD-Video mode is activated, another special funcition is used, that is, a backup would use the normal function, not the dvd-video one, so you would have to hack a little more for the backups to load.

DVD_LowEnableVideo was programmed for a DVD player that they didn't create, but they left it there. The thing is, activating DVD Video mode is not simple as it checks for the UID of the process that wants to activate it, it can only be activated if the UID is 0, depending if the mode is activated or not, a variable is set to 1 or 0.

Using another reading function which is very similar to DVD_LowUnencryptedRead you could read discs in dvd-video mode and read sectors in a normal way. The problem is that DVD games use DVD_LowRead; to read data from the game partition we need it to use the special reading function, ¿how? Hacking IOS (creating a backup-only IOS), patching-on-the-fly (difficult).

That's all. I'm Dj-Celta with my new user.

Message for Waninkoko: I'm sorry, I couldn't keep it to myself and I can't understand not publishing the bug. Nintendo knows about this.

Message for the rest: Don't ask me, I don't know anything else.

Edit: Waninkoko just replied there..
QUOTE*Waninkoko looks for his AK47..

darkmaster_101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dobbod said:
Someone leaked the bug @EOL, he was told by Waninkoko how to do it.

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_publicacion...e-dvd-s_1065026

Translation:

QUOTE said:
Beforehand, I have to say that Waninkoko explained me all of this. I know publishing this here is betraying him, but without publishing it i'm betraying myself for having the way for the scene to advance and not using it.

The exploit is all about the Nintendo's idiotness. If you look at the DVD commands taken from the Revolution SDK there's 8E DVDLowEnableDVDVideo, that they forgot to remove. If you can modify IOS to use this funcion instead, this activates a special mode from the DVD to enable DVD-R reading (in this case, its purpose was enabling VIDEO DVD's)

If you modify IOS to enable this (you need to do it in a special way), you could enable reading of DVD-R's from homebrew and the DVD drive would read it.

About backup loading.. you have to work that out a bit first.

To read data once DVD-Video mode is activated, another special funcition is used, that is, a backup would use the normal function, not the dvd-video one, so you would have to hack a little more for the backups to load.

DVD_LowEnableVideo was programmed for a DVD player that they didn't create, but they left it there. The thing is, activating DVD Video mode is not simple as it checks for the UID of the process that wants to activate it, it can only be activated if the UID is 0, depending if the mode is activated or not, a variable is set to 1 or 0.

Using another reading function which is very similar to DVD_LowUnencryptedRead you could read discs in dvd-video mode and read sectors in a normal way. The problem is that DVD games use DVD_LowRead; to read data from the game partition we need it to use the special reading function, ¿how? Hacking IOS (creating a backup-only IOS), patching-on-the-fly (difficult).

That's all. I'm Dj-Celta with my new user.

Message for Waninkoko: I'm sorry, I couldn't keep it to myself and I can't understand not publishing the bug. Nintendo knows about this.

Message for the rest: Don't ask me, I don't know anything else.

So basicly, the idea is to modify part of the wii, to allow unused system calls that where designed to allow dvd-r for watching a dvd movie, to be used as a way off running backups.

But the challenge is to get all the system calls working correctly, and a way of using theses system calls for loading a game

Is this the idea, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
well if he told you on a public forums then there was nothing stopping you from posting it here, maybe waninkoko and nitrotux should work together as they seem to have released the most stuff on DVD *hacking*(modifies IOS to read all the wii disk data). are you sure they left it in by accident, they always said they would make the wii read dvds, if they left it in they could just *unlock it* later down the line as a new feature. how much optimization would be needed to get backups working through this exploit? or would it just read backups straigt off with this command enabled?

nitrotux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very sceptical about "someone being told by Waninkoko" about this, because it just sounds like bullshit.

"Message for the rest: Don't ask me, I don't know anything else." -- sounds like he's posting something he does not really understand.

Cjuub

Trophies
XP
Country
nitrotux said:
I'm very sceptical about "someone being told by Waninkoko" about this, because it just sounds like bullshit.

"Message for the rest: Don't ask me, I don't know anything else." -- sounds like he's posting something he does not really understand.

Waninkoko did post in the thread though.
And if my spanish is correct he says something about searching for an AK47... So I guess he's pissed!

dobbod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nitrotux said:

Waninkoko ironically confirmed it at that thread @ EOL saying he would look for his AK47 (probably to kill the leaker. If I were him, I would be running now..)

I don't know if this is real, I just translated. Seems legit to me (Waninkoko already posted before that he knew the workings of the bug).

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
@ nitrotux, wankinkoko does know the exploit, i was talking to him about it yesterday while testing his new app(which isnt an ISO loader) so like if you wanted to make an ISO loader, you have an idea on where to start(or finish off)now.
smile.gif

nitrotux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there is a slight problem, I don't have an unmodded Wii. So I cannot do any testing.

Has anyone tested the DVDLowVideoEnable exploit then?

Fabi85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nitrotux said:
Well there is a slight problem, I don't have an unmodded Wii. So I cannot do any testing.

Has anyone tested the DVDLowVideoEnable exploit then?

Why would you need an unmodded wii to test an iso loader???
Or are you talking about reading discs on an unmodded wii???

Iso Loader would be cool, espacially with the ability to load from high capacity usb-sticks or usb-hdds.
By the way if you own the games it's not illegal is it???

Condukt365

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, wait, wait, I'm confused.

If they left the command in there, whether it be by accident or on purpose, then why would they plan on releasing a Wii in Japan with the feature enabled?

Or am I getting the wrong idea?

skedone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well if i understand this right there will be DVD usage for homebrew plus DVD video buy end of tonight plus a ISO patcher to run ISO as well

if not that post is false info as it would take the hacking groups about 2 hours if there know what to look for

(i have done stuff for some of them so i know the time lines)

p.s i dont have a modded wii either so if anyone needs a tester let me know im a ASM coder my self plus i beta test stuff for valve microsoft EA to name a few

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff