Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So Few weeks ago I took out my old family computer,
and it Runs SOOOOOOOOO slow. and I was trying to install
Linux (First Lubuntu, then debian) from CD drive (I also cant login as Admin) and It just wont install help?
I think its slow From a lot of Pictures, a lot of Programs, and I'm not sure about viruses?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Save whatever needs to be saved from the hard disk (photos, music, movies) by transfering to an external HD or flash drive. Then format the hard disk and install Linux (a lightweight distro since it's an old machine). Should work no problems.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Save whatever needs to be saved from the hard disk (photos, music, movies) by transfering to an external HD or flash drive. Then format the hard disk and install Linux (a lightweight distro since it's an old machine). Should work no problems.
I don't need anything saved from it, how do I format the Hard disk... I have like two Harddisks in it which one to Format?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You have two physical hard disks? Normally, you just need to format the one which was drive C on Windows XP. You can format while installing Linux. Just tell it you want to wipe clean the old hard disk.

DeoNaught

OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Format the one without the data on it.
How do I know? There's one that's less accessible than the other though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe you can give us the PC specs? Maybe the disk drive is slow or the live CD isnt loading into the ram fast enough?
Ive Booted from windows Before for I tried to install anything.

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have two hard drives, correct? Actually, just back up your data to an external storage to make it easier. And write the Lubuntu ISO to a USB flash drive instead. Installing from a USB works better for older PC's then a DVD/CD.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Ive Booted from windows Before for I tried to install anything.
Well depends on your PC specs. If say your live CD is 2GB and you only have 1GB RAM you will run into problems. If you want us to help you then at least give us some specs to look at. There are some less resource hungry versions of linux out there.

DeoNaught

OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You have two hard drives, correct? Actually, just back up your data to an external storage to make it easier. And write the Lubuntu ISO to a USB flash drive instead. Installing from a USB works better for older PC's then a DVD/CD.
I don't care about whats in the computer (Pretty sure its filled with viruses) Does the Hard drives have anything Vital to make the computer work?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He said he doesn't need to backup anything. I agree that installing from USB works better, but it's a little more work than burning an iso to a blank DVD or CD. Also he needs to make sure his computer can boot from USB.

DeoNaught

OP
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well depends on your PC specs. If say your live CD is 2GB and you only have 1GB RAM you will run into problems. If you want us to help you then at least give us some specs to look at. There are some less resource hungry versions of linux out there.
I remember the Computer would Boot just Fine, Pretty sure it has 4gb ram at least. K thanks for the Help GTG bed timish.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all