Old save encryption retail Bravely Default playing on current SysNAND

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Nobita!, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Nobita!
    OP

Nobita! Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2014
    So I have an o3DS fw4.5 that I haven't been touching for like a year and a half. Last time I played, it was a retail Bravely Default with old save encryption method (non KeyY 6.0 savefile) playing on my Gateway 3DS (emuNAND 9.smth, dont really remember lol). I also heard that if you played a retail game with an old savefile on any new fw system, the savefile would be corrupted. Now I'd like to play the game genuinely, so during this past year, has there been any way to fix this problem, or at least convert the save into the new encryption?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. BabyBichu

BabyBichu GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2016
    United States
    Maybe u should try out one of these:JK's save manager or savedatafiler.Both of them r able to extract the save files on ur CTR card(Game Cart).

3. Nobita!
    OP

Nobita! Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2014
    Thanks, I'll have a look at these programs, but can you tell me if they can convert the save into the new encryption format? Because if it's only about extracting save files, then I believe Gateway can do it as well. Like I said, it's been more than 1 year and I'm pretty much in the dark now lol.

4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Just use JKSV it will be a valid dump

Nobita! likes this.
  5. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    SaveDataFiler and it's homebrew equivalents don't just extract the saves. They extract them in decrypted form. So you can use a 4.x system + SaveDataFiler or homebrew version of SDF to extract save. Then switch over to 7.x+ system and reimport the save. This will convert the save to the new encryption standard for the firmware you are running on when you imported the save.

Of coarse once you do this, you can no longer use the save on 4.x firmwares. But 4.x is obsolete and there's no reason at all to use it now a days with menuhax or Arm9LoaderHax being a thing. So it's good to migrate away from such an old sysnand version as soon as you are able to. :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder, Apr 28, 2016
    Nobita! and BabyBichu like this.
  6. Nobita!
    OP

Nobita! Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2014
    Hmm...then let me sum this up:

1. Have an o3DS using Gateway 3DS (SysNAND fw4.5 + emuNAND fw 9.x)
    2. Have a retail BD game with old encrypted save (Non KeyY 6.0)
    3. Download SaveDataFiler or JKSV
    4. Extract save using either program to have a decrypted file.
    5. Put the game in a 3DS (current sysNAND)
    6. ????
    7. PROFIT!!

Did I understand it right? Any details I need to pay attention to not screw up the save?

Last edited by Nobita!, Apr 28, 2016