Hacking Old GW user needs advice on updates and cfw

koga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive got and old 3ds-xl running sysnand 4.4u and a gateway. I put down the 3ds like 3 years ago and recently picked it up to play some Mario Kart, and all was good. I play from 3ds files I converted to CIA and installed to sd card (not micro sd). I then looked to see what new games were available and dl'd some CIAs. but none would work. I figured it was a signing issue ( i used to sign them myself with a prog and a bin from my sd card) so I read some forums and was under the impression that it didn't matter it was unsigned. So I was thinking update the emunand. I updated the emunand to latest software. Now it doesnt boot past gateway. Found out the hard way I shouldnt update to newest on gateway. I can boot into the gateway holding the left trigger. I have backed up my sysnand to sd card and am currently copying 44gigs of data from my sd card to my pc. This is where I need advice.

I do not want to redownload my games or lose my saves. I have no problem going to CFW and have read the guide at https :// 3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(soundhax). I can follow the guide, have downloaded the files from the guide, and am ready to proceed.

I just want to know what i need to do in order to not mess anything up and keep my games on the sd card with saves.

Last edited by koga,
Reactions: tbb043
D

Deleted User

Gateway in 2018=no good

Vist 3ds.guide and follow the instructions for a b9s+luma setup for sysnand cfw.You can even transfer your emunand data to your sysnand when your done or continue to run the emunand through the sysnand entry point.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you propably need to create a new emunand based on your 4.4u fw. run gateway through it and export alle your saves with https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-save-export-helper.465503/ (I used the tool in the second post). when you got your saves you can continue with your linked guide. (maybe you can even run everything through gateway sysnand, never used it in sysnand so I don't know.)

edit: doing so you need to ditch gateway. you can convert your .3ds files into .cia, install them and import your saves.

edit: if you don't want b9s at all and strictly use gateway, you can create the new emunand and update it through sysupdater to 11.2

Last edited by gohan123,

koga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. I formatted the emunand now its back up and running gw3d 4.4.0-10u . how does one reinstall the games from the old sd backup? just copying the files back over to the sd didnt do it. Thanks again

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In the long term, it is better to give up the emuNAND as you can use sysNAND on the latest firmware.

koga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Understood, and I will be going cfw in the long term just not tonight. I just wanted to get one of the older games going from the sd backup and restore a save file; so I know that I can and how its dun.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you could set up BOTH GW and Luma...
  • Run through 3ds.guide
  • Get the GW payload converted to B9S on the Maxconsoles site
  • Make a new EmuNAND and downgrade it to 11.4/11.6 Hybrid (Tut on maxconsoles) (Or you could skip deleting the Emunand in the guide and use Sysdowngrader with the CIA files on maxconsoles.)
This way you can have Luma, with you EmuNAND copied to sysNAND. AND you can run games in Emunand mode in GW. Utilizing TWO SD CARDS!!! More storage for MORE POWER..

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the replies. I formatted the emunand now its back up and running gw3d 4.4.0-10u . how does one reinstall the games from the old sd backup? just copying the files back over to the sd didnt do it. Thanks again
You need to have a backup of the NAND they were associated with, and restore it.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was under the impression you had only .3ds games. .3ds you export them like in the readme described. but if you had .cia games or bought ones, this isn't possible that way.
for that you need restore your emunand, do the b9s guide. then while you power on the system press select and toggle "autoboot emunand"(or just press L). then the system should boot into your old emunand on 11.6. there you can export your saves or stick to this emunand entirely.

koga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I took the suggestion to create a new emunand before more suggestions came in. I guess that means I cant backup my old emunand to follow later suggestions. I found the folder of all the converted cias I had, so no need to find them all again. but I wonder if i can get the saves from the PC backed up portion from the SD card now that im on a new emunand. Thanks all

koga

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have the original nand backed up from when i unboxed the 3ds and plugged in my gateway. never backed up an emunand if thats what u mean.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I took the suggestion to create a new emunand before more suggestions came in. I guess that means I cant backup my old emunand to follow later suggestions. I found the folder of all the converted cias I had, so no need to find them all again. but I wonder if i can get the saves from the PC backed up portion from the SD card now that im on a new emunand. Thanks all

Did you follow the guide? Did you copy the EmuNAND to SysNAND? if so you can just back up the SysNAND in god mode and restore it as EmuNAND to get it back.

This is what I did..
  1. Follow the guide. During the guide will copy your EmuNAND to SysNAND.
  2. Backup SD in PC
  3. Backup SysNAND using Godmode (in the home button menu)
  4. Use Godmode to Create Emunand
  5. Restore files you backed up to PC
  6. Use Godmode to restore EmuNAND backup(restore the SysNAND backup from step 3 making your Emunand and your SysNAND identical)
  7. Boot in to EmuNAND through Luma
  8. Format Emunand using TinyFormat, this will unlink nands.
  9. Update EmuNAND to latest Hybrid GW compatible FW using sysupdater.(There is a CIA set on maxconsoles. It's 11.6 with a few files downgraded. This way All games work and you have the best possible GW setup.)
  10. Setup the B9S compatible BootCTR9, found on the temp, to boot "GW payload converted to B9S" found on Maxconsoles.

Here is the B9S compatible BootCTR9
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-the-bootctr9-release-thread.435347/page-6#post-7608943

Not sure if maxconsole is ok to post links from although I have seen the name tossed around a lot so go there and search for these terms...

"GW Payload converted for B9S" for the payload
"Unofficial GATEWAY 3DS EmuNAND v11.6.0-39E/U"

Ill remove it if its all bad.

IF you go this route you'll have a working Luma setup for your internal SD. Your EmuNAND will be a 11.6/11.4 hybrid giving the maximum functionality for you GW. You'll boot in to GW 11.6/11.4 EmuNAND by holding whatever button you set in the BootCTR9 Config.ini (D-Pad down for me)

You EmuNAND and SysNAND will be UNLINKED . No gift-wrapping bugs and such

Your GW saves will work in EmuNAND as they are either inside the .3ds file(card-1) or on the SD root as .SAV(card-2) (might have the types reversed ;) You can back them up while in GW mode but that's a whole other tutorial.

Than you can enjoy your GW and you 3DS with all the bells and whistles..

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you follow the guide? Did you copy the EmuNAND to SysNAND? if so you can just back up the SysNAND in god mode and restore it as EmuNAND to get it back.

This is what I did..
  1. Follow the guide. During the guide will copy your EmuNAND to SysNAND.
  2. Backup SD in PC
  3. Backup SysNAND using Godmode (in the home button menu)
  4. Use Godmode to Create Emunand
  5. Restore files you backed up to PC
  6. Use Godmode to restore EmuNAND backup(restore the SysNAND backup from step 3 making your Emunand and your SysNAND identical)
  7. Boot in to EmuNAND through Luma
  8. Format Emunand using TinyFormat, this will unlink nands.
  9. Update EmuNAND to latest Hybrid GW compatible FW using sysupdater.(There is a CIA set on maxconsoles. It's 11.6 with a few files downgraded. This way All games work and you have the best possible GW setup.)
  10. Setup the B9S compatible BootCTR9, found on the temp, to boot "GW payload converted to B9S" found on Maxconsoles.

Here is the B9S compatible BootCTR9
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-the-bootctr9-release-thread.435347/page-6#post-7608943

Not sure if maxconsole is ok to post links from although I have seen the name tossed around a lot so go there and search for these terms...

"GW Payload converted for B9S" for the payload
"Unofficial GATEWAY 3DS EmuNAND v11.6.0-39E/U"

Ill remove it if its all bad.

IF you go this route you'll have a working Luma setup for your internal SD. Your EmuNAND will be a 11.6/11.4 hybrid giving the maximum functionality for you GW. You'll boot in to GW 11.6/11.4 EmuNAND by holding whatever button you set in the BootCTR9 Config.ini (D-Pad down for me)

You EmuNAND and SysNAND will be UNLINKED . No gift-wrapping bugs and such

Your GW saves will work in EmuNAND as they are either inside the .3ds file(card-1) or on the SD root as .SAV(card-2) (might have the types reversed ;) You can back them up while in GW mode but that's a whole other tutorial.

Than you can enjoy your GW and you 3DS with all the bells and whistles..

Not terrible advice. But you forgot to mention my InScripted AIO has the guide automated, already has GW installed to a hotkey (B), lets you change your chainloader's hotkeys from the 3DS, it's NAND Manager app can transfer EmuNAND straight to SysNAND (I'd still recommend backing up SysNAND first, of course), includes an app for migrating saves, and also includes an app for synchronizing tickets in the event they wanted to leave their NANDs linked, so that they could play the same games on both (for me, it's less trouble copying a ticket file back and forth than installing the same game twice, but YMMV as they say).

And the next version is including a custom chainloader you'll find nowhere else. It will let you set more hotkeys than any other chainloader available (from the 3DS, as usual), and it will have the fastest GUI by far (if you've seen the new NAND Manager script included in GodMode9, you can see where I'm going with my UI). The new chainloader's UI mode even has all of my apps included in-line. This means you can enter and exit them without the need to reboot. You can, for example, backup the friends list and tickets in Options, back out with B, restore a NAND backup with the NAND Manager, then go back into Options and restore those two files. I just did that to fix a system a friend brought me that mysteriously got semi-bricked somehow (apparently no one knows how it got that way -- everyone I ask says that someone else had it last, so, yeah, see, this is why I don't have kids). It's working fine now, and nothing was lost.

As for the saves, well, they're going to need a NAND backup that matches the user profile. If all of the existing NAND/EmuNAND backups are from post-format profiles, they're gone. If you have a backup from before any system formats were performed, the saves CAN be recovered. Restore that backup to your EmuNAND, and if the initial folder it's using isn't the same as the backed up one, keep running Tiny Format on it until you get a folder that matches the one inside the backed up "Nintendo 3DS" folder. Then delete it and replace it with the backup folder (it's not enough just to copy it over, the new blank data for the profile will mess up the old saved contents if you don't wipe it out).

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: DJravingMonkey

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not terrible advice. But you forgot to mention my InScripted AIO has the guide automated, already has GW installed to a hotkey (B), lets you change your chainloader's hotkeys from the 3DS, it's NAND Manager app can transfer EmuNAND straight to SysNAND (I'd still recommend backing up SysNAND first, of course), includes an app for migrating saves, and also includes an app for synchronizing tickets in the event they wanted to leave their NANDs linked, so that they could play the same games on both (for me, it's less trouble copying a ticket file back and forth than installing the same game twice, but YMMV as they say).

And the next version is including a custom chainloader you'll find nowhere else. It will let you set more hotkeys than any other chainloader available (from the 3DS, as usual), and it will have the fastest GUI by far (if you've seen the new NAND Manager script included in GodMode9, you can see where I'm going with my UI). The new chainloader's UI mode even has all of my apps included in-line. This means you can enter and exit them without the need to reboot. You can, for example, backup the friends list and tickets in Options, back out with B, restore a NAND backup with the NAND Manager, then go back into Options and restore those two files. I just did that to fix a system a friend brought me that mysteriously got semi-bricked somehow (apparently no one knows how it got that way -- everyone I ask says that someone else had it last, so, yeah, see, this is why I don't have kids). It's working fine now, and nothing was lost.

As for the saves, well, they're going to need a NAND backup that matches the user profile. If all of the existing NAND/EmuNAND backups are from post-format profiles, they're gone. If you have a backup from before any system formats were performed, the saves CAN be recovered. Restore that backup to your EmuNAND, and if the initial folder it's using isn't the same as the backed up one, keep running Tiny Format on it until you get a folder that matches the one inside the backed up "Nintendo 3DS" folder. Then delete it and replace it with the backup folder (it's not enough just to copy it over, the new blank data for the profile will mess up the old saved contents if you don't wipe it out).

Cool, I have recommended the Aio pack a thousand times. I have have it installed on one of my n3DS systems. I have been told by a lot of noobs that it's a bit much. I think it's a easy setup method and I like having all the CFW choices. InScripted isn't an a closed minded puppet so he kept GW going in his pack. Gotta love that. I've been in to my PS4 latelt so I missed the update. The new chain loader sounds good. Better than BootCTR.

The way I did this in the past was simple. If you just need a GW compatible EmuNAND after you already copied you EmuNAND over to the SysNAND in the guide and updated it the simplest way I know is to make a new one out of the SysNAND backup. Then downgrade it. you really only need to downgrade 3 titles. Last I knew the AiO didn't have the Hybrid EmuNAND. The saves worked because It was the same Nand and once you downgrade the 3 titles the EmuNAND thinks it's 11.6 and everything worked. but the NANDs were still linked. So you had to go through unlinking them. There is a method to decrypt the GW saves if you can get in to GW mode. Rename the SAV. Didn't the AiO have a script to help that? I set it up in the end so only the games I store on the red cart are to be used in GW mode. Everything else in Luma or NTR.

At this point I like using the GW because I own it but I rarely use it. I have everything I need in other easier and less cumbersome methods. GW is more of a novelty. An extra SD really. I tend to keep my blue cart in the slot to play NDS games,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
i have the original nand backed up from when i unboxed the 3ds and plugged in my gateway. never backed up an emunand if thats what u mean.
You can try restoring it to see if it is the same NAND your games were installed to. Since none of the games were installed at the time, you'll just need to install their tickets. To do this you can run tikShop (there's a QR code on a reddit post for installation by FBI).

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm in the similar boat. I wanted to keep using GW just to try mods and /or translations easier, but i1m still with coldboot luma long time not updated lolol

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, I have recommended the Aio pack a thousand times. I have have it installed on one of my n3DS systems. I have been told by a lot of noobs that it's a bit much. I think it's a easy setup method and I like having all the CFW choices. InScripted isn't an a closed minded puppet so he kept GW going in his pack. Gotta love that. I've been in to my PS4 latelt so I missed the update. The new chain loader sounds good. Better than BootCTR.

The way I did this in the past was simple. If you just need a GW compatible EmuNAND after you already copied you EmuNAND over to the SysNAND in the guide and updated it the simplest way I know is to make a new one out of the SysNAND backup. Then downgrade it. you really only need to downgrade 3 titles. Last I knew the AiO didn't have the Hybrid EmuNAND. The saves worked because It was the same Nand and once you downgrade the 3 titles the EmuNAND thinks it's 11.6 and everything worked. but the NANDs were still linked. So you had to go through unlinking them. There is a method to decrypt the GW saves if you can get in to GW mode. Rename the SAV. Didn't the AiO have a script to help that? I set it up in the end so only the games I store on the red cart are to be used in GW mode. Everything else in Luma or NTR.

At this point I like using the GW because I own it but I rarely use it. I have everything I need in other easier and less cumbersome methods. GW is more of a novelty. An extra SD really. I tend to keep my blue cart in the slot to play NDS games,

Well, I have not included the hybrid files themselves. They will still want to download that separately. However, the NAND Manager does make it easy to clone SysNAND to EmuNAND. Unlinking should be a matter of taste though. I made Ticket Master in Options so people would have a hopefully easy-to-use way to copy the ticket.db file from one to the other. Which will avoid the repackaging issues if they did want to stay linked.

I'm not just planning for one custom chainloader, actually. I'm planning for 3. There will also be an Easy Mode (just one hotkey -- you hit down at boot for a menu of basic options like backing up NAND, one of them being to switch to Advanced Mode), and Kids Mode will be based on it now, just with less options. The thing is, Easy Mode probably will not include GW since that requires setting up EmuNAND (and to keep things simple, the NAND backup/restore menu in Easy Mode just does SysNAND). However, I am considering an alternate packaging that will be more streamlined and leaves out the stuff that most people would never use, like A9LH. Maybe call it "InScripted Rescrawled" or something ;)

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a good one: Which CFW allows for the use of Gateway Cheats???? Do NOT want to use NTR Cheats since you have to Restart every time after using the Game and want to run another Game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...