Bertimo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

TLDR: Switch games that shouldn't need high FW (eg MarioKart) ask for it after NSP install even though I'm on FW 5.1. Why and how can I fix it?

I have been enjoying the switch hacking scene but I have run into an issue trying to play games that should work on my FW but still pester me for an update before I launch them. For example, I have installed MarioKart 8 from NSP but it won't launch as it asks for a FW update, even though it was an original NSW game and I'm on 5.1?!
Is there a way to fix this or a reason why this is happening?

I am using Goldleaf V0.5 and ignoring FW requirements when installing.

Cheers! :)

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess there is a list on each FE that tells what latest game version a game should be. So FW 5.1 has mk8 (1.x) saved and you only provide 1.0.
So it forces you to update.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Bertimo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess there is a list on each FE that tells what latest game version a game should be. So FW 5.1 has mk8 (1.x) saved and you only provide 1.0.
So it forces you to update.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks for the insight but not entirely sure I understand, sorry!
My switch has always been in airplane mode and only has FW 5.1 so the update has to be coming form the NSP and I just can't work out why a V1 game requires/has files for a higher FW.

Reactions: naddel81

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the insight but not entirely sure I understand, sorry!
My switch has always been in airplane mode and only has FW 5.1 so the update has to be coming form the NSP and I just can't work out why a V1 game requires/has files for a higher FW.

since you are always in airplane mode there is another source telling the game NOT to start. I read somewhere that is is a Firmware-related "problem". the FW has a built-in "minimum game version". when it is 1.0.1 on your game (here MK8) then it won't start on the vanilla 1.0 because it requires that (day one) 1.0.1 update.

Bertimo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The latest Mario Kart Update needs at least 6.2.0 but is encrypted with Masterkey 3 (4.0-4.1).
You should be able to patch the Update with NSC_Builder or reNXpack.
You can also check the Firmware Requirement with NSC_Builder and Switch Backup Manager

Thanks for the advice! I ended up updating to the latest FW as I'm lazy and even on FW 8.0 it's still asking for a FW update. Any thoughts?

Also, I tried to use those tools but I could'nt work out how to use them I don't think, do you know of any guides around? Thanks :)

crazy_p

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
What Version did you install? The latest Update should be: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [0100152000022800][v589824].nsp

crazy_p

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Then thats your Problem, you need this Update.. You either connected once to the Internet and your Switch knows there is an Update or you previously installed an Update. You can try to "Patch" the Firmware Requirement with Devmenu but i dont know if Devmenu still works on 8.0.0. Otherwise you have to Update your Copy of Mario Kart.

Bertimo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting, good to know, thanks for the info. I was thinking though, does the update file actually matter then as I'm already on a higher FW, surely it would have nothing to install? therefore, it shouldn't matter if I update?

crazy_p

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
This was all about the Mario Kart Update it had nothing to do with your Firmware. You could've stayed on your previous Firmware.. Your Problem is you cant just hit Update on your PIRATED COPY. You need to download Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [0100152000022800][v589824].nsp from your trusted Source and install it manually.

Bertimo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This was all about the Mario Kart Update it had nothing to do with your Firmware. You could've stayed on your previous Firmware.. Your Problem is you cant just hit Update on your PIRATED COPY. You need to download Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [0100152000022800][v589824].nsp from your trusted Source and install it manually.

Okay. I do also own the game as a cart, is it possible to dump that, convert to nsp and install nomrmall?
I think the whole part thats confused me it it works fine off the cartridge

crazy_p

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yeah you can use gcdumptool to dump your Cart and NSC_Builder to convert your XCI to NSP. But it won't solve your Problem..

Edit:
When it works with your Cartridge then why install the NSP in the first Place? You'd better save that Space for something else, just my opinion.

Last edited by crazy_p,

Bertimo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When it works with your Cartridge then why install the NSP in the first Place? You'd better save that Space for something else, just my opinion.
Ironically, I wanted to use an NSP because I find it a pain having to get up and change my carts all the time when I'm playing at home and wanted to cut that work out. Funny how it has been such a pain getting it to work cart free anyway! :rofl:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Was a dark time