Okami issue

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Fivemagics, Jan 19, 2011.

Jan 19, 2011

Okami issue by Fivemagics at 3:41 AM (4,356 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Fivemagics
    OP

Newcomer Fivemagics Newbie

Canada
    I'm having issues with Okami. I load it through USB Loader GX latest version.

Basicly I run the game, black screen with red Now loading appears, and it loads forever. I'm using cios18 rev14, using ios 222(also tried 223 and 249) to load the game.

Bad iso?

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Erm...are you sure about those numbers? It kinda sounds like like you somehow installed a rather old (but stable) rev14 in slot 18 (why you'd overwrite the slot of an official IOS is a mystery to me) and then load the game with cIOS from which you don't give the credentials (222 and 223 are commonly Hermes's cIOS...but those could be v4 or v5.1, depending on what you installed last; "249" is commonly used by Waninkoko's revisions...but it also depends on what revision and base IOS you installed there). Oh, and you're mixing up "cIOS" and "IOS" (rule of thumb: below 200 is an IOS, above it is a cIOS).

Try installing the latest revision of Waninkoko's cIOS. That'll be rev21. When asked, install it with a base IOS of 56. To which slot doesn't matter (take 248 if you don't want to overwrite whatever is in 249)...as long as you tell the game to use that number.

In the past, I wasn't too impressed by GX's performance. Can't really vouch for the newly released version, though. I can only say that okami isn't a problem game in any way, so it should work fine. Do your other games have any issues?

3. Fivemagics
    OP

Canada
    I basicly followed a youtube tut, so that could explain part of my confusion. I'll try to make it simple. Oh and uh I just figured I messed up on the numbers... I meant cIOS38 rev14, not cIOS18.

Through the process of softmodding it, I used cIOS38 rev14 installer. When asked which IOS to use for the installation I chose IOS36.

Other than that, I've used a fix for Metroid Other M tutorial freeze, which I believe was to install cIOS236 followed by installing Hermes 222 and 223(v4).

I'd like to add I have 130 games, 3/4 of them tested and working. My HDD is listed as compatible(Hitachi 500GB) too.

I know this seems like a weird issue, done lots of searches on google and Okami seems to be a perfectly running game, and the only few cases don't apply to me. This also leads me to believe it is a bad iso. A bad iso of Brawl gave me the same problem yesterday.

4. chop

Member chop GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    First off I'd re-hack your wii usingModMii
    an upto date guide on here is much better than old youtube one.

5. Fivemagics
    OP

Canada
    The guide isn't actually that old. The guide I used was posted in May 2010. And like I said I have bunch of games working perfectly fine. Encountered a few issues with some games before, but fixed all of them.

Gonna try another iso, see if it works.

6. Gangboy

Newcomer Gangboy Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Listen to the dude... He's right ya know... Follow Modmii [​IMG] Updates everything for loading backups (many fixes and better compatibility for games, including Okami). Since I'm playing Okami myself with Cios rev20. [​IMG]

7. Fivemagics
    OP

Canada
    I'm sure he is right, I'd just like to avoid restarting the hacking process for now. Everything has been working perfectly for a few months.

All the games I've tried so far ended up working, including capricious ones, I do not see why Okami wouldn't. I'll try a diff iso first.

8. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    The rehacking will take about 5 minutes of your life. Using modmii.

9. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I'd nitpick and say that in the evolution of wii softmodding, that is rather old (and IIRC, rev14 wasn't new in May last year either). But I have to agree that it may be the iso (you did check the settings like the error002 and the alt dol thing, right?). Because while the guide you used is outdated, it is not a bad guide at all*. So while updating through modmii most likely won't break anything, I have my doubts that it'll solve your issue.
    EDIT: just thought of something: is that version of okami by any chance PAL or NTSC-J? (I assume you've got a normal Canadian (NTSC) wii on your end)

@hielkenator: it takes 5 minutes to install, yes...but it'll take a whole lot longer to test all the games that were working fine before.
    Don't get me wrong: I'm all in favor of modmii and how it makes hacking easier...but I don't think getting everyone to use it for the sake of using it (or rather: for everyone to replicate OUR wii's before we troubleshoot problems) isn't always the best option.

*rev14 had a base of IOS38, indeed. That's why it was often called cIOS38 rev14. That it was installed in slot 249 caused people to come up with all sorts of mixtures of the name. [​IMG]

10. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    I would have to agree with you on this one. Its simplifies things, as the guy seems to be a little confused over a couple of things. I personally think its just a cIOS issue (needs updating), but to bring his Wii "up-to-speed", then ModMii would probably be a good idea. Just my 2p's worth

11. Fivemagics
    OP

Canada
    Hum got myself a new PAL iso. Game is still not working. Now it just goes to start and freezes on a grey screen, before the loading screen. Yes I've tried playing with IOS to load game, video mode, etc etc.

Now what I find weird is that PAL version is 4.24GB, while the NTSC-U version I had before was 3.73GB. Anyone can check up theirs and tell the size(wbfs).

EDIT: Okay guys I've got the PAL version to work! I've done two things that could have fixed it; changed language from System default to English, and also changed video mode to Force NTSC. Haven't really played the game, but it gets to the game menu at least.

12. Fivemagics
    OP

Canada
    Can't be bothered re-hacking it. I'm not familiar with ModMii yet, so it could possibly not work on the first time. And like I said I have plenty of games working, so I don't think it's something related to a cios. Besides, I got the Pal version to work now.

I think it was related to a bad iso, or language/video setting.

My confusion comes from the the ios and cios terms. People online seem to confuse them or don't specify it correctly. For example the installer I used is cios38 rev14. Also installed IOS236 following a guide on wikidot(at least that's what they called it). From what Wever says, it doesn't seem to make any sense. Besides I haven't been able to find any decent information on what's a ios and a cios and how they work.

Either way it's working fine now.

13. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    The problem with the wii hacking scene is, it moves quickly so a lot of info out there is redundant hence why people keep directing you to mod mii as it is complete and current as of now.

Best thing for you to do is read up on wiibrew how the wii actually works from the moment you press power, then you can understand it a bit easier.

An IOS is a slot containing code that is essentially the wii's operating system, there are 256 of them in total, and each one if completely independant. Everything that is ran on the wii is done through IOS. When you are in the system menu, that is running in an ios, when you then click on a game, it closes the system menu IOS and opens the IOS that game wants it to.
    Now obviously nintendo never intended on piracy being possible, so any code which has not been signed with nintendo's signature or any dvd-r's going in are handled by the IOS to not run.
    This is where custom IOS' come in. A custom IOS is a nintendo official IOS that has been rewritten by a hacker or group of hackers to have their own custom versions (obviously to get rid of checks that stop the system booting stuff WE want it to).

When you first hack a wii, the very first step is running an exploit. Being a closed system, for all intents and purposes, the wii should not ever get in the state where custom code can be ran. This is where the exploit comes in, which would be your indiana jones, smash stack, bannerbomb etc...
    Once the exploit has been ran and the homebrew channel is installed, we then have somewhere we can boot custom code. But, we are still running in IOS and so there is no custom code telling the wii how to run and so it will still continue to not boot dvd-rs. Now you run a custom ios installer, here's where it gets a little tricky to understand as there are many different custom ios' out there and all have different functions.

The first one you installed, 236. The only reason this one is installed is to allow you to install the main one in 249. 236 will not boot dvd-r's, it is a basic custom ios designed just to be able to allow stuff to be installed.

Whatever guide you are following is VERY old as cios38 rev14 came out in 2009!

14. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    In this case, I do not agree with you.
    Using modmii is the safest most complete up to date way of modding ANY Wii.
    I don't understand what you mean by "replicating" our Wii...

Basicly ALL softmods are the same. Mostly Cios slots and their bases can be different. The actual Cios 'are still the same.
    Also, the official Cios installers are also available through modmii.
    It's clear it''s easy it's safe.
    also Okami is'nt a problem game.
    There are only a hand full of problem games that need special settings.
    For the rest ( 99% ) you can use the basic settings.
    If you have problems and don't know what to do, USE MODMII. Do not F around.

@ DonkeyPLonk: excellent explaination, nice read!