OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
This is something all forums I see have in common.
There are people who would post an off topic post, and then there are the moderators and people pretending to be mods who get butt hurt over it. Even if the posts in question aren't offensive or insulting.

What I don't see is the harm in such things...
Although I acknowledge a Mod's right to ban someone for such a thing, I'll never understand their reason. Who exactly is being hurt from this randomness?

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You're not seeing the bigger picture.

First and foremost, members are NOT banned for posting off-topic replies unless they've done it on so many occasions (and have been warned for a second time not to do so - the first occasion being in the forum rules that the member agreed to follow before signing up).

The majority of visitors come here to gain information on certain topics. Imagine how frustrated you'd be if you had to waste time browsing through page after page of irrelevant posts in order to find the answers that you need.

Sure it's not so bad if only a couple of such replies are made, but things can quickly get out of hand if this potential issue isn't prevented (hence the rules being enforced).

There's also the question of WHY anyone would want to go off-topic without (good) reason. If it were that important all they'd have to do is click on the "New Topic" button instead of "add reply".

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It is all fun and games until you realize that the last 60 pages you read consist of nothing but the talk of monkeys, sushi, rainbows, Halo, and Jigglypuff when the thread is obviously about cheezits.

Disclaimer:
All threads referenced in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real thread, is purely coincidental.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Threads like plans, rarely survive contact with the membership.

Often I will read an OP comment and then quote it and respond to it as is my right and discover after I submit that the conversation has long since wandered off especially if the thread is longer than 3 pages.

For the same reason, I often won't open a thread that is longer than 3 pages if I have never been to it before, as I just assume I am so far behind it is not worth it.

It's not an offense to post off topic, but if you get more than a couple of replies, you SHOULD take it to your own thread and let the original topic resume.

Jemlee

Trophies
Website
www.arwingnet.co.cc
XP
Country
Makes sense to me, it's difficult to skim through spam
hate2.gif

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Jemlee said:
Makes sense to me, it's difficult to skim through spam
hate2.gif

So I guess the only thing that matters in a community is the piracy fixes for roms and not the community itself.

Panzer TacticerIt's not an offense to post off topic, but if you get more than a couple of replies, you SHOULD take it to your own thread and let the original topic resume.
If everyone did that, wouldn't there would be a spike in menial topics and the complain of off topic would turn into a complain against thread spamming? Usually when I see a person with 4 or more active topics, I often see a couple of people telling that person not to spam so much, and then a Mod comes along and locks all the so called spammer's topics. If everyone weren't lazy, and created a topic for every new discussion that came up, wouldn't that be a worse problem? And then those topics themselves would just go off topic and you'd have a never ending cycle. I posted "Vampire horse" in a thread about horses, which in 3 or 4 posts led to dinosaurs in planes, which in 3 or 4 more posts led to movies about space. Are you saying that its really preferred to create a new topic for each of those topics even though whats currently being discussed dies out in a matter of minutes? This isn't 10 years ago when the internet was just getting started. Forums that have even tens of active users are just as alive and busy as any chat room or IRC. I'm well aware that a topic can take on a life if it's own and by page 3 can be talking about something else, just like any real conversation in life. I just can't see why its such an "issue" to alot of people.

Anyways, who else is annoyed that this week's episode of Bleach was just a lame recap episode?
wee24.gif
Oh the sweet, sweet irony.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Njrg said:
Its a bad sign that I know what that says...
No it isn't.

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT LAZY TOWN.

nyanya.gif

Going off topic is sometimes unavoidable, but it's good practice to salvage one's post by saying something relevant at least.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Jemlee said:
Going off topic is fine I guess but there is a line that says when one is over doing it.
And that line gets crossed at about 2-3 pages of off-topic, because nobody likes reading through multiple pages of stuff that has nothing to do with the topic in order to see some posts about the topic of the thread.

D

Deleted_171835

Rydian said:
Jemlee said:
Going off topic is fine I guess but there is a line that says when one is over doing it.
And that line gets crossed at about 2-3 pages of off-topic, because nobody likes reading through multiple pages of stuff that has nothing to do with the topic in order to see some posts about the topic of the thread.
Well, there is a search button on the thread.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In my universe, 'spam' is non member bot generated crap trying to sell you things not even remotely connected to the site focus.

Spam is also posting the same post in every sub forum in a dumb ass attempt to ensure the person's thread can't be avoided.

The former is usually deleted on sight and all you can do is report the post. The latter should generate a warning at the minimum.

I thought 'Edge of the Forum' was meant to be for retarded drivel?

I have no trouble with Off Topic aka General Discussion being about whatever. Granted, people should try and exceed sounding like a 10 year old brat that can't understand the thread isn't all about them.

Oh and try and say something mildly intelligent whenever possible eh
smile.gif

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Panzer Tacticer said:
I have no trouble with Off Topic aka General Discussion being about whatever. Granted, people should try and exceed sounding like a 10 year old brat that can't understand the thread isn't all about them.

My understanding of the OP was that she's referring to people going off topic within a thread, regardless of which section it has been posted in (excluding the EOF of course).

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
viksmart said:
GolenSun550 said:
Just let it go .

How many must we let go before we've lost them all? How many will we continue to let go till we say that enough is enough?
How many roads must a man walk down...
Before you call him a man?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
mthrnite said:
viksmart said:
GolenSun550 said:
Just let it go .

How many must we let go before we've lost them all? How many will we continue to let go till we say that enough is enough?
How many roads must a man walk down...
Before you call him a man?
The answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind...the answer is blowin' in the wind...

Sorry, but I can't mimic the slurring.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended