Odds of breaking the USB Format encryption?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Agent McMuffin, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Agent McMuffin
    OP

Agent McMuffin Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    Do you guys think it's likely that anyone will crack the encryption on the usb formatting for the Wii U?

2. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    It already happened @NWPlayer123 manged to decrypt it and mess with the files on it, if you want more info contact them

3. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Like Kevinx8 said, it has happened. However, no one is interested in taking this any further at this point. I wouldn't expect any stable tools or releases any time soon.

4. Agent McMuffin
    OP

Agent McMuffin Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    Hm, I figured it would be a nice way to fuck around with game files on the fly. If I knew how I would make some kind of tool to explore the filesystem.

5. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    you can mess around with them with ftpiiu_everywhere. To mess around with the HDD on a pc it would first have to be running a linux based os just to mount it and it would take ages to decrypt the whole drive and it's contents and encrypt it back up when your done. Not much more on the fly than ftpiiu_everywhere. Best thing for quickest file editing would be a wii u format emulator with the drive itself being formatted as FAT32(or something better like a custom format similiarly to the wii's wbfs) and then with some homebrew spoofed to the wii u's format and layout. This will be a challenge thought since FAT32 has no permissions system so you would somehow have to trick the wii u into thinking everything has rwx perms but I dunno how well that would work

Last edited by KevinX8, Dec 29, 2016
  6. ajd4096

ajd4096 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2009
    It is block level, you don't need to do the whole drive.
    I started a fuse plugin, but ftpiiu is easier.