fishykipper

pkmn breeder
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Basically I'm asking all UK Users, Specifically those using o2 Home Broadband for their internet. If they can access and download from rapidshare.com? megaupload.com? mediafire.com?
All premium accounts (paid for accounts)!

My downloads begin, but download at 1kb/s!! I have 10mb I think, I normally download at 1000kb/s!!!
I've contacted o2 customer services and they've told me, its against the law for them to block websites, so why cant I download??
obviously I've contacted Rapidshare also, and there's no problem at there end!!

hunnymonster

Trophies
XP
Country
Nobody at the front desk of O2 will have a clue what you're talking about... it's the same with most ISPs in the UK (and probably further afield too). Is this unbundled O2 or O2 via BTWholesale? If it's the latter, then they recently changed a lot of T&C and policies on "fair usage" (read that as "excessive throttling of your connection if you actually use it")... worth a trip to DSLZoneUK, ThinBroadband or ISPReview to see what others are saying.

kaod60

Trophies
XP
Country
I have not been able to access my Rapidshare premium account for the last few days. Megaupload wont work either.
I used Hotfile today and that was fine
I also had a call from O2 broadband today stating that I have downloaded too much this month,55GB,
I am sure that they have blocked these sites but no-one at O2 will admit to it.
My internet is supposed to be unlimited but I was told that unless I reduce to below 40GB I will get terminated!!
They said it was because of thier Fair Use Policy!!!???
Probably 45-50GB of my usage is from Rapidshare I am sure they have detected this and somehow block the site

Please Chase O2 like hell because I am going to.
This whole situation is outrageous

KAOD

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kaod60 said:
I have not been able to access my Rapidshare premium account for the last few days. Megaupload wont work either.
I used Hotfile today and that was fine
I also had a call from O2 broadband today stating that I have downloaded too much this month,55GB,
I am sure that they have blocked these sites but no-one at O2 will admit to it.
My internet is supposed to be unlimited but I was told that unless I reduce to below 40GB I will get terminated!!
Probably 45-50GB of my usage is from Rapidshare I am sure they have detected this and somehow block the site

Please Chase O2 like hell because I am going to.
This whole situation is outrageous

KAOD
I routinely download 50gb a day, and I've never had a problem with o2. I love their unlimited, unthrottled bandwidth.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kaod60 said:
KAOD
Yup some ISP have that in the small print. You've signed it so they can terminate your contract. Now they may not do this but it depends again on small print as you may have signed that they can cut you off if you do something wrong but you'll still be obliged to pay for the rest of the contract.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You'll struggle to find a cheap unlimited ISP.

I'm with Eclipse, with an unlimited 'off peak' and 30GB peak for £18.99. They are gradually reducing the hours that 'off peak' refers to though.

I've no idea where else I would go, I normally download 20GB per night.

thegers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
O2 have done the same to me told me i need to reduce my download limit or my contract would be terminated. So I reduced my downloads from 86 gig to 56 gig, and only when they terminate my contract do they tell me its 40 gig.

O2 are scum will be glad to go back to BT Broadband.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah its getting tougher to download stuff now after 12PM BUT this is only relating to piracy means, I can swtich Steam on now and download at full speed. Same with downloading from sites that don't contain any illegal files.

Its down to the ISP blocking certain sites and P2P programs.

thegers said:
O2 have done the same to me told me i need to reduce my download limit or my contract would be terminated. So I reduced my downloads from 86 gig to 56 gig, and only when they terminate my contract do they tell me its 40 gig.

O2 are scum will be glad to go back to BT Broadband.
I'm with BT, they're doing pretty much the same thing.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thegers said:
Im told the fair usage policy on BT is 100 gig when I was ordering the broadband, so that will do me.
In the small print it says it can change at anytime.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Remember UK pirates. Digital Economy Act means they can cut off your internet at any time, so be careful what you download (although apparently they're mainly searching for torrents)

Anyway, chase O2 up about that. They can't block file hosting sites from your account just because you download a lot from them. They can throttle your connection because you download too much though. The Gadget Show had a huge thing where they tried to get ISPs to be more clear on just how "Unlimited" their unlimited internet was. Sky was the only one that they manage to get to remove their fair use policy though.
I'm on a really old AOL contract which they've managed to not make us change (though I'm sure they want us on their 10GB a month cap...) I get an 8Mb connection and unlimited downloads. Never had a problem with them throttling it.

People downloading 20GB a night though, wtf?!!? WHO NEEDS THAT MUCH STUFF?!?! Max I ever download in a single day is about 4-6GB and that's only if I'm downloading a whole game.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
People downloading 20GB a night though, wtf?!!? WHO NEEDS THAT MUCH STUFF?!?! Max I ever download in a single day is about 4-6GB and that's only if I'm downloading a whole game.
Each to their own. There people who download much more than me. I like HD.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After hearing your comments in this thread. You need to laugh at their new advert, clearly lying. "02 getting rid of all the broadband niggles."
rofl.gif
Don't even get me started on BT with their adverts aswell. The new sky one aswell "I have been up all night downloading it's so slow" then they say you can get 20 meg for free when you buy sky tv then in small print it says "2GB monthly allowance" Downloading all night? 2 GB
rofl2.gif

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Yeah, all broadband companies do this, even virgin and cable. If you experience slow speeds, unfortunately you have been picked and your speed throttled. They site the fair usage policy but I guess it's only 'if you're caught' downloading the wrong thing, from the wrong place, at the wrong time.

It has been known for some providers to have been throttling download from rapidshare and megaupload since about the start of the year. I know Comcast in the USA have done this openly, not only with torrents, but with rapidshare/megaupload/hotfile etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay