WIP nxdumptool - Nintendo Switch Dump Tool

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by DarkMatterCore, Jun 21, 2018.

1. DarkMatterCore
    OP

DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    Cabimas, Zulia, Venezuela
    Please provide additional information, like the CFW you're using (and its version), your Switch's FW version, a screenshot of the problem and your SD card details (brand, model, capacity).

2. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    nxdumptool updated to v1.1.4! As usual, go check the changelog in the first post.

This is mostly a bugfix release, so don't expect anything too good - sorry about that. Just as always, feedback is deeply appreciated.

hausa51, ganons, SAKyle and 1 other person like this.
  3. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    UPDATE: If you downloaded the NRO binary before 2019-08-17 07:25 AM (UTC -4), please re-download it again. A quick fix was applied to avoid a crash while generating NSP dumps.

Sorry about that one, guys.

Last edited by DarkMatterCore, Aug 17, 2019
    hausa51 and cucholix like this.
  4. LyfeOnEdge

LyfeOnEdge Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2019
    United States
    @DarkMatterCore
    Can I add this to HBUpdater?:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/hbupdater-a-one-stop-shop-for-keeping-cfws-homebrew-up-to-date.546116/

For the description I'd like to use a modified body of the gbatemp post and the compatibility list found on the github page:
    Description

DarkMatterCore likes this.
  5. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    Sure thing! Feel free to go ahead and add it. :)

6. sirelf

sirelf Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2018
    United States
    Somewhere between Xanth and Oz
    If you don't want to run homebrew using the internal eMMC, you must replace your current emuMMC with a copy of your internal eMMC after you purchase and download the game. If you download it to your SD card, you must also copy the contents from your "Nintendo" directory to your emuMMC directory in the SD card.

Alternatively, you can just run nxdumptool on your internal eMMC after downloading the game and call it a day.[/QUOTE]

If I understand your reply any time I want to make a nsp copy of a purchased eshop game(to use in my other Switch) I need to make a new emuMMC by downloading the boot 00 & 01 & raw gpp)and coping the contents from the Nintendo directory into the emuMMC?

7. axiomjunglist

axiomjunglist Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2019
    United States
    I have a physical store bought legit copy of MM2 I'd like to dump so I can use the GC for other games. My Switch has been internet active on Atmosphere since I bought it with no issues. I don't use emuMMC, and have only used Homebrew through HB Menu as NRO.

As long as nobody else uses the physical cart on their system (it's going up on my bookshelf after the dump) there would be a low level of ban risk to run/play MM2 after installing the dump via Goldleaf yeah? What would be the most advisable method for dumping/installing? XCI? NSP? Plus GC cert dump? Thanks for advice...

Last edited by axiomjunglist, Aug 23, 2019
  8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Here's the problem. There is no way to play that dumped copy online without using SX OS. That is because the certificate of the game can only be used when the .XCI file is mounted. If you convert the .XCI file to .NSP format, the certificate will be lost in the process because it cannot be converted into a ticket. If you install the .XCI file, the certificate will be lost because it cannot be installed. So while you can install or convert the .XCI file, you will lose all online functionality with the game when you do so.

axiomjunglist likes this.
  9. axiomjunglist

axiomjunglist Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2019
    United States
    Thank you, just the knowledge I was hoping someone could shed light on here. So, SX OS can mount (just not install) an .XCI dump that would be playable online. Does this require using the "GC cert dump" option in nxdumptool, or does simply dumping to .XCI cover this? Thx!

10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The certificate dumping feature just dumps the certificate by itself. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong because I have actually never used the program.

11. axiomjunglist

axiomjunglist Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2019
    United States
    @DarkMatterCore, does an .XCI dump from your tool contain the game cert automatically or do you need to use the optional "GC Cert Dump" and merge it somehow to the .XCI dump?

12. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    You can choose to keep the certificate while generating the XCI dump by enabling the "Dump certificate" option in the "Cartridge Image (XCI) dump" submenu.

13. Dudamax

Dudamax GBAtemp Regular

May 30, 2017
    United States
    When I try to explore Romfs section of an update i get "error: invalid offset/size for NCA BKTR Romfs section", how do i fix this? (Im on version 1.1.4)

14. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    Did you retrieve your full keyset using Lockpick_RCM? Vanilla Lockpick (launched from HBL) is not enough.

15. Dudamax

Dudamax GBAtemp Regular

May 30, 2017
    United States
    Yes but i still cant bypass the error.

16. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    Which game/update are you trying to browse?

Also, please make sure you're using the latest Lockpick_RCM release, launched from the "Payloads" menu in the latest Hekate version (5.0.1).

17. DarkMatterCore
    OP

May 30, 2009
    Venezuela
    nxdumptool updated to v1.1.5! As usual, go check the changelog in the first post.
    • RomFS sections from DLCs can now be browsed/dumped!
    • Minor speedup while dumping content, thanks to code optimizations + slight overclocking use applet functions.
    • Built using latest libnx to avoid HID problems under 9.0.0+.
    Just as always, feedback is deeply appreciated.