Nvidia Shield

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Kirito-kun, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Kirito-kun
    OP

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    The Nvidia Shield has recently received a price drop and is now available in stores. For those who aren't familiar, the Shield is a new android-powered handheld which uses a clamshell form factor. It has very high-end specs (Tegra 4 SoC with quad-core CPU, 72-core GeForce GPU, and 2 GB RAM) and supports playing PC games streamed over WiFi.

At it's current price of $300, do you think that it's worth purchasing one? It's more expensive than a 3DS or PS Vita, but shares the functionality of android tablets, which are often priced at around this point. Do you think this device succeed commercially?

2. Bobbyloujo

Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    United States
    I think a lot of people are going to look at as a video game console (because that's what it is :P). What I mean is, $300 is a lot for a handheld console. People will see this as a handheld console and think "Wow, that's a lot for a console. I should just get a 3DS or a Vita." Or something like that. I don't really see this as a gaming console though. I see it as a 5" Android device with a controller attached to it. Similarly priced Android devices will get you similar specs. If you're in to emulation and you were thinking about getting a tablet, this may be a better option for you. If you just want a handheld gaming console, you'll probably just want to get a 3DS or a Vita.

But either way I don't have money for this or any other game consoles so it doesn't even matter anyway :(

3. Aqua1234

Aqua1234 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Canada

That's what I was thinking. However, this is a pretty powerful handheld console, sure packs a punch. If I'm able to load Emulators such as: GBA, PS1, N64, GBC, etc, on this console. Then it's quite debatable whether you should buy it or not. But I'm positive there will be another price cut/go on sale by Black Friday/Boxing Day. I'll keep my eyes on this console. But until then, does anyone have this console? Has anyone tried emulation on the Shield?

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    No thanks, I'll just buy a $20 Gameklip and use my Galaxy S4. I can already emulate PS1/N64 games at near-perfect speeds, so why should I spend $300 on this?

5. Kirito-kun
    OP

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    The Tegra 4 SoC (1.9 GHz quad-core, 72-core GPU) blows away even flagship Android tablets like the Nexus 10, which costs $100 more than the Shield.

I don't own the system but there is a DS emulator which will run at full speed on the system.

6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    snapdragon 800 is already beating the tegra 4 by a nice margin

7. Kirito-kun
    OP

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    It's not just benchmarks. The Tegra 4 in the Shield has an active heatsink, allowing it to run at its maximum capacity for prolong periods of time without downclocking due to heat. The GPU in the shield is also custom, not the standard Tegra GPU. Chances are, it's probably more powerful than the Andreno 330. Besides, barely any tablets out now actually uses snapdragon 800.

8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
  9. Aqua1234

Aqua1234 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Canada
    Well I'm guessing from reading your posts that it's unable to emulate Dolphin, which is okay. But it can emulate PS1, N64 and the others right? Does anyone know how the button mapping is? Does nvidia provide you to map out them out, to make it more easier for you? I'm expecting this product to go on sale or another price cut, assuming that it has poor sales. However, I can be wrong.

10. Seaking

Seaking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 26, 2010
    United States
    you have to map them all out yourself, from what i have tried on the emulators i have on it.

from what i have noticed on this, as long as an emulator lets you use real buttons and not just the ones on screen you will love it, you just need to get a good emulator.

anyone have any suggestions i can give a try? i have it right beside me.

i do not have any money on it anymore though, so i cant test paid emulators.

11. Aqua1234

Aqua1234 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Canada

Take a look at this google doc, made by other fellow Nvidia Shield owners. The first part is the steam supported games on there, so if you have Steam with numerious amount of games. I would suggest you taking a look at it. If not, then just scroll down and it'll tell you which emulator works best with the Shield

Code:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al_tgDiSllFFdGhJQ3p3d1JDTU0wS3IyNjVxdDB6MVE#gid=3

12. garbanzox

garbanzox GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    I don't know how I missed this device last year, but I just learned about it yesterday, and already bought one off of eBay. It seems like a pretty stout emulation machine, both as a (sort of) portable and as a (sort of) console. Looking forward to trying it out!

The streaming aspect is appealing too. Now I can finally play DuckTales Remastered on the toilet :)