Gaming Nvidia Settlement

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else get anything in the mail about this? Some laptops that were sold between 2007-2009 had faulty chips installed on their laptops and come December 2010, if they proceed with the ruling then people can possibly get a reimbursement for repairs, a laptop in equal value, or a new GPU & CPU.

I have one of those several laptops that have been affected. I can't make a claim until December though, but I don't know which option to take since I do really want a new laptop which I could use for gaming. Any suggestions?

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
faulty as in how ?

... you've got me worried here

*scours mail *
My laptop has certain symptoms that it shouldn't have. It effects certain Apple, Dell, and HP notebooks. Some symptoms:

-Distorted/Scrambled video on screen (I get this) - All Notebooks
-No video on the notebook screen, even when notebook is on - All Notebooks
-Random characters, lines, or garbled images (I get this) - Dell/HP laptops
-Intermittent video issues (I get this) - Dell/HP laptops
-Failure to detect wireless adapter - HP
-Failure to detect wireless network - HP

More information here.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No letters yet but I have had to "fix"* a couple of machines with problems like this. Looks like I was possibly too quick to call Dell awful and call for warranty/replacement.

*they still seemed to function in basic VGA mode as it were (before you loaded drivers and so tried to use the hardware properly)- nuke the drivers and the thing comes back to life.

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
you know...I've heard about a company replacing faulty laptops that were mass produced but I can't remember if that was the company or not..

but I HAVE heard something about it...so I guess it's real and not some scam?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I've heard that the nVidia settlement thing was specifically for GeForce 8400M and 8600M (my media laptop has the 8600M, although I've never once had a problem with it), both of which had some kind of flaw that made many die.

Aside from that, I've come across 2 other laptops (a Compaq Presario and a Toshiba Satelite) which have had problems displaying through the inbuilt screen and only work with an external display. The Compaq was out of the box and had that problem, and the Toshiba ended up having the entire motherboard replaced. I also briefly encountered it on my dad's Acer Aspire after updating the Intel GMA drivers - rolling back the drivers fixed it.

KevInChester

Trophies
XP
Country
A friends Dell XPS laptop was affected by this, they ended up replacing it with a brand new Alienware laptop, which was nice
smile.gif
Specs were better than his previous too.

Lots of cards with this issue: Anything with an 8 in front, someof the Geforce Go models, some of the 7 series (I think). Anything from the 9000 series or higher is unaffected.

D

Deleted User

KevInChester said:
A friends Dell XPS laptop was affected by this, they ended up replacing it with a brand new Alienware laptop, which was nice
smile.gif

Lots of cards with this issue: Anything with an 8 in front, someof the Geforce Go models, some of the 7 series (I think). Anything from the 9000 series or higher is unaffected.

Same thing happened to me, after about a year and a half of troubles with an XPS M1530, dell sent me an M15x. The M1530 is riddled with design problems not limited to just the 8600M Graphics Card (which did have problems now and then), but to extreme overheating (Can you say 60 Celsius Idle?)(Not gaming, Microsoft Office work!). This is a long-winded problem, and I'm glad someone's finally taking some responsibility for it.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I2aven's_Sage said:
KevInChester said:
smile.gif

Same thing happened to me, after about a year and a half of troubles with an XPS M1530, dell sent me an M15x. The M1530 is riddled with design problems not limited to just the 8600M Graphics Card (which did have problems now and then), but to extreme overheating (Can you say 60 Celsius Idle?)(Not gaming, Microsoft Office work!). This is a long-winded problem, and I'm glad someone's finally taking some responsibility for it.

Wait wait what?!? I got an XPS M1530!!

Do you think they'd let me trade it in since I got it repaired twice already? It's still under warranty!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night