NUSgrabber and JNUSTool Batch Download Tool

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by TheCyberQuake, Oct 29, 2016.

1. TheCyberQuake
    OP

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Finally decided to create a new thread for my batch file.
    I based my work off of something @nolimits59 made, and after that they and @nexusmtz helped me implement additional features.
    It's a batch file that allows you to batch-download multiple games at once using NUSGrabber.

Current Version: 1.2.0

Added in 1.2.0:

- Automatically moves game downloads from "install" to "GameBackups" before starting downloads. This is to clean the install folder between uses so each time you can simply copy-paste the install folder without re-copying the old downloads
    - Added comments to the script to explain what each part does for anyone who is interested

Current Features:
    - Batch download games with nusgrabber
    - Automatically finds the correct title.tik from \tickets (requires downloading and unzipping tik database from that iso site)
    - Automatically detects game name using the tik database folder system withing \tickets
    - Can automatically grab updates for each game (program will ask for each title if you wish to also grab updates)
    - Downloads will automatically be renamed and moved into \install, using the correct format for wupinstaller mod y. This means once you finish downloading you can simply copy the created install folder to the SD root and you can batch install using wupinstaller mod y

NUSgrabber Code + Download

JNUSTool Code + Download

It's one of the few ways I've seen to really batch download games + updates.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake, Nov 5, 2016
  2. Edizius

Edizius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2016
    Italy
    Don't know why anyone has replied yet. Sounds very interesting and usefull if it really works that easy (if someone needs it at least, because i am still waiting for a response from ninty). Nice job and thanks for sharing

3. DanTheMan827

DanTheMan827 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Wisconsin
    This seems useful for command line use but people really like GUI tools...

Last edited by DanTheMan827, Oct 31, 2016
    hudhair and zeldaism like this.
  4. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    I think you'll find that what people like is having a choice. GUI tools don't work when you remote shell or schedule tasks. Personally, I tend to prefer tools which provide both a GUI and command-line functionality. That way the same code can be used whether I'm local, remote, interactive or batch.

Also, your post sounds more like an ad than a reply. It comes across as "Yeah, whatever. Mine's better because you can click it."

Last edited by nexusmtz, Oct 31, 2016
    ajd4096 likes this.
  5. TheCyberQuake
    OP

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I didn't say anything about it because I didn't want to be rude, but that's exactly how it came across to me as well @DanTheMan827

6. DanTheMan827

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Didn't mean to come across that way...

I understand people like having command line tools... In the end I guess it's just whatever people want to use...

I'm not sure if you can do this in a batch file but the title ID is also stored inside the tik file if you're able to read the binary data... you could use that to let people input tik files instead of game IDs... just a thought...

Last edited by DanTheMan827, Oct 31, 2016
  7. TheCyberQuake
    OP

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    AFAIK not straight from a batch file, but I could probably place another CLI .exe program and can call it to read ticket hex data. I could potentially have it populate a list of each game by ID that has a ticket and then save that list, and then pull game names. If not in batch I could probably do it in VB. I have yet to really learn any other useful languages and I don't have time to learn those right now (I have school and work that take up most of my time right now) and I was taught VB in high school freshman year.

8. DanTheMan827

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Wisconsin
    VB or VB.NET?

If it's VB.NET you could use System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes to read the file and this function to get the ID

I can't help you if you're talking about VB6...

VB.NET Code

9. TheCyberQuake
    OP

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Finally got a chance to really put this script to the test after formatting my USB and sysNAND to test WiiUBru's redNAND implementation.
    I downloaded 4 games and their updates, which means 8 titles in total. I then copied them to my SD and used the latest wupinstaller mod y to batch install (you can just push + to select every game from the install folder). Unfortunately I had to let it run overnight. I just got around to testing all of the games I installed. So far the only issue I had was that the Star Fox Update seem to have not installed properly. I went back and reinstalled without touching the files on the SD and it now is working properly, so the issue was with wupinstaller mod y and not with my script.
    Also to note I used the NUSgrabber version, I haven't tested the JNUSTool version fully yet but I'm going to assume it would be exactly the same as both script are identical except for the parts relevant to each program (the single command that starts the download for each, along with the folder name that gets searched for to rename and move).

10. TheCyberQuake
    OP

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Well I started trying to add a system where each time you start downloads, it will move all the folders within "install" into "Game Backups", that way you can keep games downloaded if you want to keep backups, while also cleaning the install folder so that it can simply be copy-pasted each time without having to either delete it or manually move games.
    I failed however, and ended up somehow breaking everything to the point where the script would crash no matter what game you put in and what reply was input for auto-updates. I'll look back into it tomorrow to see if I can figure out how to move everything properly since I don't work tomorrow.