Hacking NUS NANDBuilder for Wii: Fixed NAND creation.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
https://wiidatabase.de/nus-nandbuilder-fuer-wii-nand-erstellung-gefixt/

NUS-NANDBuilder-Settingstxt.png

A few years ago my friend nino reported to me about a problem with the NUS NANDBuilder for the Wii: With a newly created NAND, some tools (such as ShowMiiNAND) are not working - the unpacking fails. This happens even when the image is written on a Wii: any image created later by the NAND of that Wii will cause the same problem.

Together we went on the search - it was somewhere that the folder names were wrong. Ultimately, it was Nino who found out that the name was correctly resized to 12 bytes, but that these new bytes were not initialized. So here is garbage that has to be zeroed manually - and nino has now integrated this fix!

https://github.com/martravi/wiiqt/commit/eda8a4ef3a211d28b134753dba0d0f29fbab7d1a

"Ohneschanzenegger" - NUS Nand Builder
https://github.com/martravi/wiiqt
With this you can finally create a new Wii-NAND via NUS NANDBuilder, which will not cause any problems with NAND tools later!

stanwebber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i used an older ver of this tool and just finished setting up a somewhat elaborate nand after flashing it. i pulled a final bootmii backup only to discover the garbage characters after directory names when trying to extract an emunand. i really don't want to re-do all that work (it was a chore in and of itself to track down the info on this problem). is there any way to fix this issue after the fact? or is there a painless way to import all of my customizations into a fresh nand? is there possibly already a tool created for this exact scenario?

stanwebber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are you extracting the emunand from the nand.bin? Try a different tool, like showmiiwads
i am using showmiiwads, showmiiwads mod and wii nand extractor all with the same results: invalid characters in path. i can see garbage characters after the directory names just like described.

stanwebber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got the Ohneschanzenegger tool from wiibrew.org. it's listed as r118, but the download link returns r106 (which the fix linked to in this thread applies to). as it turns out the nandextract tool from the same wiiqt package is able to successfully extract the nand despite the garbage characters. again, i got nandextract from wiibrew.org...listed as r106; link returns r105.

i still would like to fix my backup (and reflash) so that it works with other nand tools. now that i have the garbage-free contents is there a simple way to format my nand backup and reimport the extracted contents?

Last edited by stanwebber,

stanwebber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually i fixed it with the patched Ohneschanzenegger r106fix. created a new nand using the previous garbage character backup as a template and simply did not format afterwards.

*update* ack, it creates a new empty nand with no data. i'm still back to how to reimport the extracted contents.

Last edited by stanwebber,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land