NTSC-J Disc read error, please eject

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by charafantah, Oct 25, 2008.

Oct 25, 2008
  1. charafantah
    OP

Newcomer charafantah Newbie

Egypt
    Hello,

I have NTSC-J wii with unknown modchip.

* Homebrew channel installed

* Used custom IOS and region changer to make PAL 3.2E

* NOT semi bricked

But i cant run any CD (even originals) now from the Disc Channel...everytime i put a CD it says "disc read error, please eject the disc and consult your Wii operation manual"

I can however, still run original CDs through GeckoOs (1.7b) on the Homebrew channel, but i cannot run backup games (backup games say: the disc cannot be read error)

Please advice on what could be wrong here, and what i need to do to get it to load other games normally, either through the disc channel or through the homebrew channel.

thanks a lot in advance,
    --
    Achraf

2. kevenka

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    hmmm I wish I could help. I know this much though, you need to burn a game at max 8x and it should be DVD-R... I don't know it isn't reading the origional disc though...

3. WiiShizzza

Member WiiShizzza Graphics juggler

Germany
    Welcome at gbatemp, mate...
    Did you update your console these days? Maybe that's an issue...
    If not, I'm sorry, I can't help you...

4. charafantah
    OP

Egypt
    thanks for reply....

Well, no i havent done any updates...the only thing i did is following this tutorial http://www.nes-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1138

except in step 4, i used a dvd-r that i burned from http://hackmii.com/2008/05/semi-brick-fix-discs/

After ALOT of experiments yesterday i got the following:

* Wii sports original PAL works through GeckoOS 1.7b
    * Ninja Reflex backup DVDR NTSC-J works through GeckoOS1.7b

Everything else doesnt work through GeckoOS (it either freeze or give Could not read disc)
    Everything, including Wii Sports original and Ninja reflex give disc error please eject when i try to use the "Disc Channel"

I do not really care whether it works through the "disc channel" or GeckoOS...i just want to play any games else than wii sports & Ninja reflex [​IMG] i got my console a few days ago

5. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    its because your modchip is still set to ntsc j

i suggest you open and see what brand it is and search it for region changing options

6. ComplicatioN

Member ComplicatioN Broken Barriers

Australia
    i don't think the Wii plays CDs isn't the drive a DVD drive?

7. charafantah
    OP

Egypt
    Jan777: yes, i disassembled my Wii following your advice....i found the modchip is d2e key-9
    according to the schematics i found online, i had to close Jumper2 to turn into PAL

i did that, but nothing changed, the disc channel cannot read any DVDs even originals, and i can only play wii sports (PAL) through GeckoOS.

Any other game doesnt work either through GeckoOS or Disc Channel...

Any suggestions?

8. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    just a question out of curiosity. why did you change the region of your wii? if your modchip has been installed properly your wii should have a 90% region free compatibility, because your chip supports region override.

9. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    well i dont know now

maybe broken dvd drive?

10. charafantah
    OP

Egypt
    Jan777: I don't think its a broken DVD drive, as some games already work fine with not a bit of a problem.

Screemer: I did that because the System Menu and all games loaded in Japanese(which i have no clue about [​IMG] ) and i could only run NTSC-J games; as you may know the D2E Key9 modchip only support region free with a jumper. So i followed the tutorial i mentioned earlier to turn into english and support PAL DVDs; and i followed Jan777 advice because it wouldn't work

i still get the disc read error when i use the "disc channel" and "disc cannot be read" when i use backups on GeckoOS (except ninja reflex NTSCJ and Mario Galaxy)

thanks

11. jakeruston

Member jakeruston GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    First of all, why do you have a Japanese Wii in the first place?

12. charafantah
    OP

Egypt
    well, that is a bit out of topic, but anyway, here's why: [​IMG]

Nintendo does not have any resellers in Egypt, so i cant buy it from here, there is only smuggled pieces which are sold 6x the real amount.

So I had a friend on a business trip to China where he bought me this Japanese Wii.

13. charafantah
    OP

Egypt
    I found out i made a mistake, following Jan777's advice i had to switch on the Jumper on my D2E Key9 modchip...i switched on the wrong jumper and i fixed it.

Now:
    Modchip is set to PAL
    Wii region set to PAL
    System Menu 3.2E
    Not semi bricked

when i insert any backup game, it is recognized in the "disc channel"....But when i start the game it either hang or say "disc cannot be read, please consult your wii operation manual"

I cannot run any game through GeckoOS except Wii Sports (PAL)

Wii Sports (PAL) does not run through disc channel by itself (though it is recognized, it freeze while loading)

I borrowed 3 games from a friend ( EDIT: Found they're PAL using RegionFrii) and they worked through the disc channel, but the text was displayed in Japanese...when i tried to load them through GeckoOS and force english language they freezed.

So, any ideas on what is going on here exactly?

Why these 3 games(PAL) worked through disc channel while other backup PAL games do not work, they say "disc cannot be read"? and why my Wii Sports (PAL) doesnt work on disc channel and only works on GeckoOS ?

thanks a lot for all the help, this has been going on for longer than it should take [​IMG]

14. charafantah
    OP

Egypt
    I would like to thank everyone who helped on this issue.... [​IMG] it is finally working

Apparently, i was neglecting the fact that the brand of DVDR matters, i was using cheap chinese made brand, that is why most of the games did not work after i successfully made the change to PAL and english menu.

I bought some verbatim DVDR, burned the ISOs on 2.4X and since then all my games are running just fine...
    Sometimes i need to use WiiFrii to change the region code, and it works fine too.

(though i still dont know why Wii Sports only run through GeckoOS not disc channel!!! [​IMG])

Thanks to you all, i can finally play with my Wii [​IMG]