Hacking NSP Confusion

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some problems obtaining information about a few nsp files. I've tried switch backup manager, but for some reason, some nsp files are not detected. for example, it can detect mario maker 2 but not its update. I'm trying to figure out the correct file name for version 1.01. I know how to get the content id but not the version (is it in the nsp or taken from some database)? I also can't tell if one nsp for mortal kombat 11 is for shang tsung or not (think it is). I've tried to use hactool, but it gives an error about prod.keys being missing. from my understanding, I have to get that from the switch itself? I don't own a hacked switch, so I can't do that. I've just been trying to download and sort games, updates, and dlc for stuff I've bought. I don't understand why the prod.keys is needed (assuming it's console-specific) for an nsp that didn't come off of my own console. don't nsp files contain no console/profile information from where they originated?

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Maybe check if you have the latest versions of the tools.
I had some issues with new games (firmware +7.0) and it turned out that the tools I used were outdated.

Prod.keys is needed for the non-console specific keys for most tools.
NSPs are just encoded with generic keys and you can use anyone's prod.keys for that.
Afaik, if you have a jig, you can run Lockpick_RCM also on a unit that has not been hacked.
Else Google can find you the prod.keys although the latest ones are harder to find.
Note that some prod.keys out there are don't seem to contain correct keys for the latest firmware.

Only when you want to do console specific stuff like browse your NAND dump, then you might need the console specific keys.

With most tools you can specify your prod.keys location but some of them have some issues with relative paths so use a full path.
As long as they keep complaining that they can't find the prod.keys, they won't work.
if they complain about missing keys, then something is wrong with the contents of your prod.keys

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.