Homebrew Question Not Having a Great Time with SwitchRoot

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a snide comment on Reddit when I tried to get help there, so I figured I might have friendlier folks here to help me out.

Basically, I messed up somewhere along the way trying to install SwitchRoot and I'm not sure where I went wrong? I used a .sh file called SwitchRootAndroidUtils to set up an Android partition on my SD card so I wouldn't have to keep swapping SD cards out, but once everything was done and I finished up following the directions on XDA as instructed on the GitHub, Hekate is telling me that I'm missing LP0 and Minerva files, and that a Nyx bin is missing, even though I checked and everything was the same as it was. I transferred them out before I set up the Android partition and then transferred them back, so I dunno what could be wrong. They should still be the same files as when I CFW'd my Switch a few days ago.

I used an Android 32 GB img file and set up a 32 GB partition for it, for what it's worth, before moving on to a 16 GB img and setting up a 24 GB partition, and of course, neither of them worked. I don't use SX OS, never have. The card's formatted as FAT32 and I use Windows (well, okay, I used a USB drive to load up Ubuntu for that .sh file, too). IDK what else would be helpful info, so I'll add more as I go along.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can, I'd change the topic title to be more reflective of the problem that can be solved. It would attract more help. I know, having a Redditor (which I wouldn't trust that site in 2020 as it's become more and more of a cesspool) or anyone on the Internet be a dick to you can sour your perception on things, but you don't want it to color the impression people have of the problem that you're coming to them with to solve with a title that might come off as whiny (because trust me, there's plenty of others in this part of the forum who aren't having a good time with "homebrew solution x/y/z") and not very informative.

I'd say to just overwrite the files that are missing, maybe make a temporary backup before overwriting so you don't screw yourself over. Unfortunately, I haven't had much of a compelling reason to try Android on my hacked Switch (or do anything with it in 2020 because this pandemic has made going out and about in a state not called South Dakota moot), so if this has something to do with Switchroot itself for whatever reason, I'm afraid I can't help you out much there.

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi
I think u will use this (https://github.com/Gabri3lZ/SwitchrootAndroidUtils)
To have a mummc and Android right ?
This script is outdated.
Better is to use this script
https://github.com/lulle2007200/SwitchSDSetup
It works perfectly.
I made a tutorial in German language
https://psxtools.de/forum/index.php...llen-mit-stock-emummc-android-l4t-ubuntu-l4t/
Or you use the finished files, flash the images to Sd card whit etcher and copy the files from the Tutorial to Sd card. Then you have Android, Ubuntu and an emummc.
https://psxtools.de/forum/index.php...otimages-einrichten-emummc-android-linux-und/

I think I should do an English tutorial

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can, I'd change the topic title to be more reflective of the problem that can be solved. It would attract more help. I know, having a Redditor (which I wouldn't trust that site in 2020 as it's become more and more of a cesspool) or anyone on the Internet be a dick to you can sour your perception on things, but you don't want it to color the impression people have of the problem that you're coming to them with to solve with a title that might come off as whiny (because trust me, there's plenty of others in this part of the forum who aren't having a good time with "homebrew solution x/y/z") and not very informative.

I'd say to just overwrite the files that are missing, maybe make a temporary backup before overwriting so you don't screw yourself over. Unfortunately, I haven't had much of a compelling reason to try Android on my hacked Switch (or do anything with it in 2020 because this pandemic has made going out and about in a state not called South Dakota moot), so if this has something to do with Switchroot itself for whatever reason, I'm afraid I can't help you out much there.

Ah, I suppose my title wasn't in good taste, in hindsight. I suppose being frustrated and having a Redditor go "why would you wanna do that when 256 GB cards are $30 these days" when they even said that their response wouldn't be helpful made it sound worse than I meant it to be.

But yeah, this is about my goof on trying to install SwitchRoot and how to get my SD card running again (which I did, luckily, now I just need to actually install SwitchRoot), mostly because I heard it was the best way to get Dolphin running decently and I can use it while docked, while Lakka has some painful restrictions, mostly being unable to run it while docked and can't use JoyCons unattached or something like that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi
I think u will use this (https://github.com/Gabri3lZ/SwitchrootAndroidUtils)
To have a mummc and Android right ?
This script is outdated.
Better is to use this script
https://github.com/lulle2007200/SwitchSDSetup
It works perfectly.
I made a tutorial in German language
https://psxtools.de/forum/index.php...llen-mit-stock-emummc-android-l4t-ubuntu-l4t/
Or you use the finished files, flash the images to Sd card whit etcher and copy the files from the Tutorial to Sd card. Then you have Android, Ubuntu and an emummc.
https://psxtools.de/forum/index.php...otimages-einrichten-emummc-android-linux-und/

I think I should do an English tutorial

I'll try that out after work! I've been more concerned my SD card was done for, so I was focused on trying to get the Switch to read the card again the past day and a half, and that was a success.

Last edited by Steel-Winged_Pegasus,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I suppose my title wasn't in good taste, in hindsight. I suppose being frustrated and having a Redditor go "why would you wanna do that when 256 GB cards are $30 these days" made it sound worse than I meant it to be.

But yeah, this is about my goof on trying to install SwitchRoot and how to get my SD card running again (which I did, luckily, now I just need to actually install SwitchRoot), mostly because I heard it was the best way to get Dolphin running decently and I can use it while docked, while Lakka has some painful restrictions, mostly being unable to run it while docked and can't use JoyCons unattached or something like that.

Honestly, as someone who tried to use Dolphin on the Nvidia SHIELD TV, which the Switch uses the same main chip of, you'll be lucky if you can play any of the more well known games. Dreamcast and 3DS emulation (apparently, I haven't given it a shot myself, but it somehow works at playable speeds!) are probably going to be the ceiling when it comes to emulation on the Switch. Like, the only reason some people got Dolphin running well on the device is that they probably used a very specific build that gives the most speed with as few glitches and hiccups as possible.

As for the SD card thing...it kind of depends on where you're getting those, especially with how things are right now. :(

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, as someone who tried to use Dolphin on the Nvidia SHIELD TV, which the Switch uses the same main chip of, you'll be lucky if you can play any of the more well known games. Dreamcast and 3DS emulation (apparently, I haven't given it a shot myself, but it somehow works at playable speeds!) are probably going to be the ceiling when it comes to emulation on the Switch. Like, the only reason some people got Dolphin running well on the device is that they probably used a very specific build that gives the most speed with as few glitches and hiccups as possible.

As for the SD card thing...it kind of depends on where you're getting those, especially with how things are right now. :(
I can agree to that. Dolphin on the Shield (which runs at 1.9ghz, btw) is at that edge of being good enough. I think in time it could be good enough. Especially since the devs develop specifically for the shield TV when making their Android builds. I use MK:DD and Twilight Princess for my testing. There are many GC games that will hit a solid 60fps now. The compatibility has really gotten better over the past year or so. But for DD and TP, there's still a lot of slow down in areas.

Honestly for GC/Wii emulation, I still have my WiiU connected to the TV for all of those, and just run Nintendont off a 400gb card. It's not really emulation, but it's the cheapest option for flawless GC/Wii gameplay.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can agree to that. Dolphin on the Shield (which runs at 1.9ghz, btw) is at that edge of being good enough. I think in time it could be good enough. Especially since the devs develop specifically for the shield TV when making their Android builds. I use MK:DD and Twilight Princess for my testing. There are many GC games that will hit a solid 60fps now. The compatibility has really gotten better over the past year or so. But for DD and TP, there's still a lot of slow down in areas.

Honestly for GC/Wii emulation, I still have my WiiU connected to the TV for all of those, and just run Nintendont off a 400gb card. It's not really emulation, but it's the cheapest option for flawless GC/Wii gameplay.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Aw, rats, I wanted to play some Fire Emblem (both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) and Paper Mario. I dunno how demanding those three games are in particular, but yeah, those were the three big reasons why I wanted to try to run Dolphin on my Switch, lol.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw, rats, I wanted to play some Fire Emblem (both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) and Paper Mario. I dunno how demanding those three games are in particular, but yeah, those were the three big reasons why I wanted to try to run Dolphin on my Switch, lol.

I think you should be fine with Path of Radiance and whichever one is the GC Paper Mario (Thousand Year Door?). The games I'm referring to are the Wind Wakers, Super Mario Sunshines, and ESPECIALLY Metroid Prime, and anytime a portal opens in Prime 2. Sometimes, the portals opening in the latter can put even a PC like mine to the test depending on the settings.

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you should be fine with Path of Radiance and whichever one is the GC Paper Mario (Thousand Year Door?). The games I'm referring to are the Wind Wakers, Super Mario Sunshines, and ESPECIALLY Metroid Prime, and anytime a portal opens in Prime 2. Sometimes, the portals opening in the latter can put even a PC like mine to the test depending on the settings.

Ah, I should have said, but yeah, Thousand Year Door was the Paper Mario I wanted to play. The only iffy one would be Radiant Dawn, then, I assume, since that's a Wii game, while Path of Radiance is a GC one, unless some nutter out there already tried to run some Wii games on Dolphin via SwitchRoot. Wouldn't be surprised if it does end up running like trash, though.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Date sticks